Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

WOW!! This is fantastic, Paul! Now I am totally convinced. If there would be any reason not to consider this model as the future build - that would be those miniature paintings, specifically a harem. What a great job you did! I applaud your patience and workmanship. Thumbsup

Incredible work Paul! Those figures are downright dangerous! I wouldn't show too many close-ups. You might get an X-rated label slammed onto your build! ROTF

Hello Friends!

It's been a while since I posted anything to this log. Hobby time has been hard to come by recently - and some of the pieces I have been painting of late are a little more involved so that has slowed my pace from snail-like to glacial. Plus, setting up the wet-palate for a short work session just doesn't make sense so I have only been working when I have a few hours to commit to painting.

Anyway, for your viewing pleasure I submit the following parade of tiny figures - some of which might be NSFW so use good judgement!

First, 32 spindly looking things...

View attachment 214993

Here is a representative sampling:

View attachment 214994

Next, kings of the realm:

View attachment 214996

And their queens:

View attachment 214995

And various members of the kings' harem - two of which are dudes because that's how these kings roll...
How's that for politically correct? If only you knew how conservative I was... Redface

View attachment 214997

And finally, introducing a nautical theme...

View attachment 214998

If you are wondering what happened to the faces of the mer-men...they are looking up trying to catch a glimpse of the members of the royal court while unaware of the beauty that lies below them...

View attachment 214999

I'm beginning to feel the urge to return to cutting sticks of wood with a #11 blade - either that, or I might spend some time building the aft galleries - these will intersect the wales and perhaps having them ready will be helpful when I start laying those in.

As always, thank you for stopping by to visit my build-log. I have enjoyed seeing the progress many of you are making with your respective builds. I appreciate your individual talents and look forward to stealing all your best techniques!

Onward!
Hi Paul. what can I say, that‘s above and beyond, if medals were to be awarded you’d get one or at least a mention in dispatches Ken

Thanks for all the likes everyone - it certainly is encouraging!

@Jimsky - sorry that the harem is a deal-breaker for you. It was for my wife as well when I made the suggestion early in our marriage...
@TechTrek - Chris, I have made the necessary anatomy corrections per your suggestion
@Dave Teel - Ha! I have already set the market. 20 "0" brushes are sold out in North America...
@Heinrich - I'll use a 'fuzzy' filter on future posts so I won't get on the wrong side of the administrators
@Ken - when my medal comes I'll probably have to paint it myself

Dean and Chris - thanks for cheering me on. Much appreciated!

Wow Doc, absolutely stunning the detail work you've accomplished. I can hardly wait to see those figures incorporated into your ship.
Hi, as usual, I am too late. I build 1Th. solely royal- manufactured by Occre too Altaya/ de Agostini My last build) It took 3 Years+ to get the material with a total price near 1000 € (with a big book of instruction-500 pages) and another VERY important book about the architecture of ships- very good.
Now one question? Is your Model a complete set or by 3 quartes deliveries?
It looks like, that the one you build is the " ND Soleil Royal -manufactured by Artesania Latina, Spain too. From what I have seen a quite different build in many ways- but the PLANKING is to me NOT up to DATE. I would have asked you a lot of questions and add ways, but it is too late now.
Just mention one thing - apart from the 1Th Planking -is that no gundecks are inserted totally, only the black wall to fasten dummy guns (Money-saving)
by the ways, I have in German to Building instruction to about page 600. it can be downloaded in PDF format

Attachments

• 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 2014-05-28 21.20.47.png
    2014-05-28 21.20.47.png
    610.3 KB · Views: 34
Hello @El Capi, I vacationed in Malaga many years ago - a lovely spot you have for your home.

The DeAgostini Vasa kit I have is presented in installments but I have all of the installments already. For the US market Model-Space offers a 'complete build' option - and yes it was quite expensive. Based on some research I completed prior to choosing the DeAgostini version of the Vasa I discovered that Artesania Latina is indeed the manufacturer - though that is not designated anywhere on the kit I received. I have no printed instructions or drawings - only step by step instructions in .pdf format. The instructions are designed for a beginner with no technical terms - they read like a recipe for cooking a meal and I have found that they place a higher value on ease of building than ship architecture accuracy.

Yes, the kit does not have gun-decks and I did not modify the kit in that regard so there is a blacked-out cavity that will receive dummy guns.

I am new to model shipbuilding so I am certain that you will find many areas that could be improved. Please feel welcome/encouraged to assist me when you see the opportunity.

DocKattner, I just caught up on this thread, and the painting work you've done on those tiny parts is nothing short of incredible. I am STUNNED. o_O If you don't run out of patience on other aspects of the build, it will be one of the most detailed models of Wasa out there. Huge congrats.

@El Capi says: "It looks like, that the one you build is the " ND Soleil Royal -..."

What am I missing here? Soleil Royal / Vasa ???

Paul, I just found this build log, I went through about 5 pages so far. I'll go over the whole log tonight after work...... I'm pretty much speechless. You have the talent, no doubt.

only about 50 years of building- plast first until Billing Boat started with KITS. Again NO Laser Cut.
A minor hijack of Paul's thread between two other Pauls... Poul (Malaga) & Paul (Stafford).

You have a very interesting life, I'm impressed. I was also building plastic before I went into the military. While in the military I was building tanks for training. My only wooden model that I finished before my current one was over 20 years ago. I am no where near your skill level....I still need laser cut. ;)

We used to drive to Malaga many times when I was stationed in Rota. Beautiful city.

Now back to Paul's awesome Vasa thread. :)

Just as you would expect I spent a great deal of time looking at other build logs of the Vasa before beginning this epic adventure (and still find myself reviewing these on a regular basis). Of course kits from different manufacturers build into ships that differ in details. And while I am not aware of another DeAg Vasa on the SOS forum there are a fair number on other forums. One of the universal challenges is the twin aft galleries. Here they are on the mother ship:

Stockholm-180323_8870.jpg Stockholm-180323_8898.jpg

The DeAg solution to constructing these complex structures is to provide them as segmented castings. The smaller galleries are made up of 8 castings (plus a middle decorative row that adds in four more castings) and the larger galleries have 10 castings (plus an additional five decorative pieces).

While this solution is decidedly non-traditional I approached this task with enthusiasm.

Not any more. The individual castings are nearly impossible to put together accurately. Everything is joined via a narrow (thin) butt joint - nothing keys into it's neighboring piece - the edges of the castings are rough and irregular and filing them smooth is an inexact science. The final construction needs to be flat/level/straight in the horizontal plane but needs to follow the flow of the hull in the vertical plane. On top of all that the shapes being joined are impossible to hold with clamps as the glue sets.

So far I have had to walk away half a dozen times.

In the end I ended up tacking the pieces with CA and then back-filling with epoxy. I'm going to now let everything set up for 24 hours and then I need to see if I can sand/file the joining surfaces to something that resembles flat so I can join the top and bottom halves - and then figure out how to shape them to fit the hull.

Here is where they sit tonight:

IMG_6171.JPG

I am not entirely certain if these will end up on my ship. I may end up scratch building them out of wood (I would just carve them from a solid block). The one thing that keeps me pressing forward is these castings have fantastic details that will be hard to reproduce...

IMG_6172.JPG

Anyway, that's for stopping by. Today was definitely one of THOSE days, but I survived to fight on...

All the best to you in your projects!

Last edited:
Back