Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

So, I was cleaning up my workspace having just wrapped up the rough installation of my wales and I placed the ship off to the side. As I turned to look at something else I saw the ship from the bow for the first time in several days.

Yes, that's correct. It never even once occurred to me that I should be taking care to align the wales on the port and starboard sides. But when I took a closer look I beheld a miracle:

IMG_6202.JPG

They aren't perfect but the fact that they are even close means I am loved by a higher being. Could also have been pure luck, or possibly even 'proof of concept' with regard to my overly careful (measure thrice - glue once) approach to installation.

Dodged a bullet! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I was cleaning up my workspace having just wrapped up the rough installation of my wales and I placed the ship off to the side. As I turned to look at something else I saw the ship from the bow for the first time in several days.

Yes, that's correct. It never even once occurred to me that I should be taking care to align the wales on the port and starboard sides. But when I took a closer look I beheld a miracle:

View attachment 218752

They aren't perfect but the fact that they are even close means I am loved by a higher being. Could also have been pure luck, or possibly even 'proof of concept' with regard to my overly careful (measure thrice - glue once) approach to installation.

Dodged a bullet! :D
They look fine. There will always be a slight variation. All it takes is a careful study of the curves for alignment... but if you stare too hard it could catch fire. :D

I wanted to close the circle of love on the post I edited about being banned from the MSW forum. The whole thing seems to have been a simple error. MSW did not intend to ban me from their forum and I remain a member in good standing. I have learned that this is a sensitive topic - something that I was blissfully unaware of - and I'm sorry if my simple query here looking for help caused anyone to have rekindled feelings or contributed to the disconnect within the ship modelling community. I'm just here for the party...

A gallery painting party that is...

I must say that these galleries have been the gift that keeps on giving. I was ready to move on from painting for a while but innocently thought to myself, "self - you should do those gallery things - they won't take long..." HA! Two weeks later (building, re-building, painting, re-painting, re-painting the re-painting) and they are done(ish). I still need to fill in the backside with lightweight filler or balsa so they can be securely mounted to the hull (and add the decorative bits) - but they are largely accomplished:

View attachment 218070

View attachment 218071

View attachment 218072

The scallops were surprisingly challenging...

And now, it's back to more traditional ship-building pursuits (I promise ;) ).
Amazing! Somehow, I've not been seeing your posts anymore, Paul. I had to go look you up to find you. Great detail and perseverance. Keep up the good work. "Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us."

My grandson was fooling around with the wires on his braces the other day and broke them. I guess you're used to working with tiny things in tight places and repairing all kinds of stuff, aren't you, Doc?

DK,
I was told (at the museum) that it was a door that would be used to board specific products or mail directly to the officer’s hold area of the ship – circumventing seamen from eyeing whatever (prob. Rum and currency as well?)

That door also got my attention and added it as well.

IMG_1145.jpeg

Back