Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

It's been several weeks since I posted a progress report. It's not that I haven't been busy - but what I've been working on is pretty ordinary and I didn't think you would be interested in a blow by blow storyboard.

Anyway, once the wales were successfully installed I added faux scarf joints along their run. This was actually harder to do well than cutting real scarf joints like I used on the hull planking. I would still do it the way I did it for the reasons I offered previously - I'm just making a passing observation.

Once the wales were oiled I then set about detailing the hull.

First, I completed treenailing the scarf joints (previously I had only completed the lower portion of the hull - no point in treenailing under the wales or the galleries was my thinking back then...).

And for the past 10 days (as time allowed) I have been adding tiny nails to represent bolts in the following locations: four at each gun port for the cannon rigging, at the knees of the upper and lower gundecks, at the futtock riders (second riders?) in the region of the orlop deck, and then various bolts along the run of the wales. In total I installed around 1500 tiny nails (give or take a hundred).

But enough chit-chat...I submit the following for your critical review:

IMG_6380 (2).JPG

IMG_6385.JPG

IMG_6386.JPG

IMG_6389.JPG

IMG_6393.JPG

IMG_6391.JPG

These macro images make me cringe - but it is what it is.

More detailing remains: fillers strips between the wales near the bow (I have only seen this on the Vasa but that may simply be a reflection of my naiveté), the mail/package port discussed previously, scuppers, and whatever else I come up with after reviewing more pictures from the Vasa museum.

Oh, I almost forgot the highlight of my week: my grandson turned one Birthday-Cake! He was born the week COVID was shutting down America in 2020...

IMG_6369 (2).JPG

Thanks for visiting!

Last edited:
Paul,

Congrats on your grandson's Name Day (I was a big GÖT fan - and read all the books - lol)
PS: I may have missed it - how did you replicate the look of treenails along the hull? - Scarf joints came out Thumbsup

Paul,

Congrats on your grandson's Name Day (I was a big GÖT fan - and read all the books - lol)
PS: I may have missed it - how did you replicate the look of treenails along the hull? - Scarf joints came out Thumbsup
Hi John. The faux treenails come courtesy of a technique I learned from @Maarten. See this earlier post https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/vasa-1-65-deagostini.5904/post-148990 or check out Maarten's Alert build log to see how he does them using a butane powered soldering iron.

Paul, it seems your ship has a case of the measles? ;)
All joking aside, that’s seems like an insane amount of work. But I think it turned out very nice.

Ps - grandchildren are awesome!

It looks exactly like the real hull! Amazing that you captured the sporadic appearance of the iron nails and trenails so close to scale.
Thank you, Kurt. Yes, the randomness effect comes across so strongly on the ship at the museum (and on the 1:10 model) that it was something I was hoping I could capture. I am aware this runs counter to the way most models are constructed and some will find my presentation of the hull off-putting - but I'm pretty satisfied.

Back