Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello Friends,

The strangest thing happened to me this week: I forgot I was doing a build log. I was working merrily away (translation: slogging along at a glacial pace) detailing the bulwarks and suddenly it occurred to me: hmmm, haven't taken any pictures in a while. Wait! That means I haven't posted any pictures on SOS!

So, let's get you caught up. When we last spoke I had just installed a 'box' along the waterway, faux frames along the length of the bulwark, as well as the primary railing.

Since my last post I added kevels, reinforced the gun ports, and added something unexpected...

First the overall view:

IMG_6825 (2).JPGIMG_6826.JPG

And now zooming in a bit:

IMG_6830.JPG

IMG_6832.JPG

Here are my new kevels (I despise macro...):

IMG_6834.JPG

IMG_6835.JPG

Next, I reinforced the gun ports. First, from the mother ship...

Stockholm-180323_9072.jpg

IMG_6833.JPG

And finally, the bonus...

I was studying pictures trying to figure out the complex railing system on the Wasa. And while looking at the following image I saw two strange rectangle looking things mounted on the frames. You can see one just in front of and one just behind the mast...

Stockholm-180323_9077.jpg

What in the world? So I looked on the museum drawings. Sure enough - still there (look in between the gun ports).

Screenshot 2021-06-09 10.47.06.png

After further research I discovered these little guys are blocks (kudos to @oldflyer who also has these on his Vasa). I have been calling them 'snatch blocks' in my brain but I don't know their real name. They are open on one end and a rope can be wrapped around them mid-length. Why? Well, these don't seem to be paired with other blocks so they must not be used as multipliers. But they would change the direction of a rope and that might be very useful to a crew member trying to raise or lower a heavy load (allowing the crew member to use the deck for resistance?) If anyone can school me about these little guys I'm all ears...

Anyway, here is my interpretation (did I mention I despise macro):

IMG_6843.JPG

IMG_6846.JPG

And so we don't lose the forest for all the trees...one more overall view:

IMG_6827 (2).JPG

As you can see I also added the decorative rings to the gun ports. Doing that reminded me that I have lots of tiny metal bits to paint yet...

As always, I am humbled that you would stop by.

Last edited:
Darn. I thought you were just letting me catch up to you! Love the workmanship. Yes, those snatch blocks (fixed to the bulwarks) are for controlling heavier loads, and allow lots of men to man the rope for hauling. Love the kevels!

Hello Friends,

The strangest thing happened to me this week: I forgot I was doing a build log. I was working merrily away (translation: slogging along at a glacial pace) detailing the bulwarks and suddenly it occurred to me: hmmm, haven't taken any pictures in a while. Wait! That means I haven't posted any pictures on SOS!

So, let's get you caught up. When we last spoke I had just installed a 'box' along the waterway, faux frames along the length of the bulwark, as well as the primary railing.

Since my last post I added kevels, reinforced the gun ports, and added something unexpected...

First the overall view:

View attachment 238374View attachment 238375

And now zooming in a bit:

View attachment 238377

View attachment 238378

Here are my new kevels (I despise macro...):

View attachment 238380

View attachment 238381

Next, I reinforced the gun ports. First, from the mother ship...

View attachment 238387

View attachment 238379

And finally, the bonus...

I was studying pictures trying to figure out the complex railing system on the Wasa. And while looking at the following image I saw two strange rectangle looking things mounted on the frames. You can see one just in front of and one just behind the mast...

View attachment 238388

What in the world? So I looked on the museum drawings. Sure enough - still there (look in between the gun ports).

View attachment 238385

After further research I discovered these little guys are blocks (kudos to @oldflyer who also has these on his Vasa). I have been calling them 'snatch blocks' in my brain but I don't know their real name. They are open on one end and a rope can be wrapped around them mid-length. Why? Well, these don't seem to be paired with other blocks so they must not be used as multipliers. But they would change the direction of a rope and that might be very useful to a crew member trying to raise or lower a heavy load (allowing the crew member to use the deck for resistance?) If anyone can school me about these little guys I'm all ears...

Anyway, here is my interpretation (did I mention I despise macro):

View attachment 238383

View attachment 238384

And so we don't lose the forest for all the trees...one more overall view:

View attachment 238376

As you can see I also added the decorative rings to the gun ports. Doing that reminded me that I have lots of tiny metal bits to paint yet...

As always, I am humbled that you would stop by.
I wonder what the circles in the drawing on them are. Nice work, Paul. Fine detail.

Hi Paul,

Marvelous work again.

I stumbled over this, maybe interesting for you.

Fantastic Maarten!

And for folks who have not seen this from @Ab Hoving : https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...-tour-through-a-17th-century-dutch-ship.7251/

How I spent my Saturday afternoon...

Most everyone on this forum will have seen the famous stern of the Wasa:

Stockholm-180323_8869.jpg

What is less common is the view from the other side:

mail (5).jpg

The DeAg kit omits the wooden framework entirely so I had to make my own.

First, I came up with a design (as you can see I'm no draftsman :p ).

IMG_6847.JPG IMG_6849 (2).JPG

And a few hours later...Voila!

IMG_6851.JPG IMG_6852.JPG

IMG_6853 (2).JPG IMG_6854.JPG

For the betting crowd I have set the over/under on the number of times I will break this off during the balance of the project at 11...

How I spent my Saturday afternoon...

Most everyone on this forum will have seen the famous stern of the Wasa:

View attachment 238556

What is less common is the view from the other side:

View attachment 238559

The DeAg kit omits the wooden framework entirely so I had to make my own.

First, I came up with a design (as you can see I'm no draftsman :p ).

View attachment 238563 View attachment 238565

And a few hours later...Voila!

View attachment 238566 View attachment 238567

View attachment 238576 View attachment 238569

For the betting crowd I have set the over/under on the number of times I will break this off during the balance of the project at 11...
After you plank it over on the back side, it will probably be a bit sturdier.

After you plank it over on the back side, it will probably be a bit sturdier.
No planking. There will be a cast metal decorative piece added that will strengthen it but I have to paint that first. Right now it’s not fragile - just vulnerable. I have already knocked about my kevels several times. Entering a new phase of my build and I need to develop some different habits when I’m working.

Back