Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

No problem, Paul, your short delay. Do I have time to go through your build log again. I am more and more impressed with what you have built so far. A beautiful hull, carving and painting.
And thanks to the fresh look of that colleague of yours, I think you now look just a little differently to your model.
Regards, Peter
Hey Peter (@Peter Voogt),
Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words. Inspired by your recent work on the BN I wanted to ask: is this when I should be cutting my hull into two pieces!?!?

A professional colleague stopped by for a visit and he noticed my ship sitting on my work table. I fully expected him to focus in on all the colored decorations (full disclosure: I expected him to ooh and ahh and fawn over the micro-painting). Instead, he ignored all that and gave his attention to the hull, decking, and bulwark details. I thought about that for a while and when I sat back and looked at the ship from across the room I realized that the decorations actually take up only a small portion of the ship:
O no, Paul. It was my reaction on this quote.
Non shipbuilders looks different to a model. They have much more a overall view.
Regards, Peter

O no, Paul. It was my reaction on this quote.
Non shipbuilders looks different to a model. They have much more a overall view.
Regards, Peter
I know Peter - I was just trying to make a joke about cutting my hull in half as you are doing on your Bluenose o_O . Humor doesn't always translate well into other languages!

Hey everyone. I don't have much to post but I'm feeling really discouraged this morning so I thought it might make me feel better if I provided a small progress report.

I've been thinking through the build process and realize I need to get things on the deck before it's too hard to work on the deck. To that end I thought it would be fun to start some gun rigging. I made up a breach line (still need more practice making ropes) and tried my hand at seizing for the first time.

In order to 'fix' the seizing I used cyanoacrylate. Previously I posted about my newly discovered allergy to CA. But rigging takes far too long to wear a respirator the whole time - never mind that I wear glasses and need magnification to see what I'm doing. By the time I get all my gear on it is really miserable...

So I put a fan in front of my face and kept the CA closed unless I was putting a bit on the tip of a toothpick for application. My total exposure to the liquid CA couldn't have been more than a few minutes (of course the vapors linger but I hoped the fan would solve that problem). Complete train wreck - was up most of the night unable to breathe.

The thought of rigging without all the benefits of CA (line stiffening, fast drying) has left me feeling quite depressed.

Here is a sample of my (continental style) breach line work:

IMG_6998.JPG

IMG_7001.JPG

Since I couldn't sleep I researched how to do outhaul tackle. Seems that I need a single block and a double block (and really tiny ones at that) and some tiny eyebolts. I noticed that on most smaller scale models (1:72 - 1:90) the lines are connected directly to the eyebolts and on larger scale models (1:48 or so) modelers start using hooks which then attach to the eyebolts. I managed to get a hook on a double block but I'm not sure it was worth the effort. There's a lot going on in a really small space and I'm not convinced the hooks are a good choice.

Proof of concept:

IMG_7004.JPG

Anyway, I'm open to your suggestions for how to rig a big ship without CA as well as your thoughts about the advisability of using hooks on the gun rigging at 1:65...

Hope you all feel better than I do this morning!

Hey everyone. I don't have much to post but I'm feeling really discouraged this morning so I thought it might make me feel better if I provided a small progress report.

I've been thinking through the build process and realize I need to get things on the deck before it's too hard to work on the deck. To that end I thought it would be fun to start some gun rigging. I made up a breach line (still need more practice making ropes) and tried my hand at seizing for the first time.

In order to 'fix' the seizing I used cyanoacrylate. Previously I posted about my newly discovered allergy to CA. But rigging takes far too long to wear a respirator the whole time - never mind that I wear glasses and need magnification to see what I'm doing. By the time I get all my gear on it is really miserable...

So I put a fan in front of my face and kept the CA closed unless I was putting a bit on the tip of a toothpick for application. My total exposure to the liquid CA couldn't have been more than a few minutes (of course the vapors linger but I hoped the fan would solve that problem). Complete train wreck - was up most of the night unable to breathe.

The thought of rigging without all the benefits of CA (line stiffening, fast drying) has left me feeling quite depressed.

View attachment 251597

View attachment 251598

Since I couldn't sleep I researched how to do outhaul tackle. Seems that I need a single block and a double block (and really tiny ones at that) and some tiny eyebolts. I noticed that on most smaller scale models (1:72 - 1:90) the lines are connected directly to the eyebolts and on larger scale models (1:48 or so) modelers start using hooks which then attach to the eyebolts. I managed to get a hook on a double block but I'm not sure it was worth the effort. There's a lot going on in a really small space and I'm not convinced the hooks are a good choice.

Proof of concept:

View attachment 251599

Anyway, I'm open to your suggestions for how to rig a big ship without CA as well as your thoughts about the advisability of using hooks on the gun rigging at 1:65...

I’m sorry you’re feeling so bad, Paul. What do you need the ca for on the guns? I use pva. I’ve been making some quions, but am trying to figure out something for the knobs. What did you use? I bought a bunch of 2 mm double blocks for gun rigging, but I have to glue them together and I think they’re made of cardboard. Oh well, they’re so tiny, no one can tell the difference without a magnifying lens. As my daddy used to say, “A man on a galloping horse 30 feet a way will never notice the difference.”

I like your gun! Nice rigging too.

About the CA glue we have the same problem... I did it even worst... Six years ago during a very hot Summer, I have closed myself in a room for hours after hours, with the aircondition on using CA, as it was the safest thing in the world to breath. I think its then when my asthma came out on the surface for the first time. Since then am very carefull. But still I use the CA, its the only way to rig decently a block. So I try to do it with care and not for very long, open windows and doors and no aircondition on. Hooks and eybolts doesnt worth to use they fit badly (they look disturbing) and take too long to fix.

Christos

ps in the case of the RCaroline guns I have used the hooks and eybolts on the blocks... but thats all. The rest blocks are going to be as the pic below.
20210820_160053.jpg20210325_130042.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 251597

View attachment 251598

Proof of concept:

View attachment 251599

Paul I think your rope work looks awesome. For me seizing took a while, and yours is not bad at all. You will get better with each try. The only thing I see is you started the seizing a little too close to the eyelet. You might try leaving a mm or two then start. Also I know some people use a slightly watered down PVA and some don't use anything!

Hi Paul,

Sorry to hear of your CA experience. Hate that stuff.

For what it’s worth and most of the masters won’t agree. For my Alert build whipping next to a hook or block I tied a small worm knot as close and as tight as I could get to hook or block. I then folded the short end of the whipping away from the hook/ block and wrapped the the long end five to six times around the “rope” and finished it off with a clove hitch and added a SMALL dab of PVA. A quick roll between my “wet” finger and thumb set the PVA.

I dunno, this make any sense??

Jan

I’m sorry you’re feeling so bad, Paul. What do you need the ca for on the guns? I use pva. I’ve been making some quions, but am trying to figure out something for the knobs. What did you use? I bought a bunch of 2 mm double blocks for gun rigging, but I have to glue them together and I think they’re made of cardboard. Oh well, they’re so tiny, no one can tell the difference without a magnifying lens. As my daddy used to say, “A man on a galloping horse 30 feet a way will never notice the difference.”
The handle on the wedge is just a nail painted black...

Paul I think your rope work looks awesome. For me seizing took a while, and yours is not bad at all. You will get better with each try. The only thing I see is you started the seizing a little too close to the eyelet. You might try leaving a mm or two then start. Also I know some people use a slightly watered down PVA and some don't use anything!
Thanks Daniel. I see what you are saying about the seizing. This whole area is quite compressed and I think I was trying to save space.

View attachment 251597

View attachment 251598

Proof of concept:

View attachment 251599

Paul, hello. As I understand you, I myself am suffering from this glue (immediately a runny nose). I began to use undiluted shellac varnish on the standing rigging. It is light brown in color, of course it dries longer, but it holds the knots. For light threads, I still use cyanoacrylate, I work in a mask, I opened the needle, wet it, and closed it.
By the way, the trousers on the gun are excellent Thumbsup

Hello Paul,

I spent most of my working life around a wide variety of oils, gases and chemicals in bulk. Some were particularly noxious and insidious so your post about cyanoacrylate flagged some concerns, for your particular situation.

Some of the products we use can, as you well know, have an adverse effect on us in varying degrees. The manufacturer of the CA glue (cyanoacrylate) you are using should have a safety data sheet (MSDS -Material Safety Data Sheet) available online, which would be worth accessing. The SDS (MSDS) will give you some precautions to take using the product, especially for exposure controls including inhalation. I expect you are familiar with product safety data sheets already.

The vapours of cyanoacrylate are heavier than air so general product advice is to have an air ventilation intake below your working area. However, needing a magnifier indicates your face is close to the piece you are gluing, thus compounding the inhalation and reaction you are having.

You also mentioned a respirator but proceed with caution as this may not be an ideal solution. The vapours from cyanoacrylate can affect some cartidge type units. It's worth noting that different chemicals require specific respirator cartridges. Wearing a generic respirator, with or without a cartridge, may give you a false sense of security too, if it's not suitable for a specific product.

All in all your request for an alternative to CA is wise, especially since you are having a reaction. Modellers were glueing their ships together before the advent of CA so no doubt there will be some really good advice and alternatives forethcoming.

I hope your day picks up, your work is truly excellent. Take care.
(I see you are already getting some great input from SOS members.)

Hello Paul,

I spent most of my working life around a wide variety of oils, gases and chemicals in bulk. Some were particularly noxious and insidious so your post about cyanoacrylate flagged some concerns, for your particular situation.

Some of the products we use can, as you well know, have an adverse effect on us in varying degrees. The manufacturer of the CA glue (cyanoacrylate) you are using should have a safety data sheet (MSDS -Material Safety Data Sheet) available online, which would be worth accessing. The SDS (MSDS) will give you some precautions to take using the product, especially for exposure controls including inhalation. I expect you are familiar with product safety data sheets already.

The vapours of cyanoacrylate are heavier than air so general product advice is to have an air ventilation intake below your working area. However, needing a magnifier indicates your face is close to the piece you are gluing, thus compounding the inhalation and reaction you are having.

You also mentioned a respirator but proceed with caution as this may not be an ideal solution. The vapours from cyanoacrylate can affect some cartidge type units. It's worth noting that different chemicals require specific respirator cartridges. Wearing a generic respirator, with or without a cartridge, may give you a false sense of security too, if it's not suitable for a specific product.

All in all your request for an alternative to CA is wise, especially since you are having a reaction. Modellers were glueing their ships together before the advent of CA so no doubt there will be some really good advice and alternatives forethcoming.

I hope your day picks up, your work is truly excellent. Take care.
(I see you are already getting some great input from SOS members.)
Hey Roger,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I am familiar with MSDS as we need to have them on file for all of the products in my office (I'm an orthodontist by day); but it never occurred to me to look for one for CA - I'll do that.

My respirator cartridge is a 3M P100 (60926) and it is rated for organic vapors and acid gases. When I wear it, it works fine, but wearing it for extended time is simply not realistic so I need to find another solution. No viable options have popped up yet. You make a valid historical point so maybe something will surface. I have a low odor CA arriving today - not sure if that will work for me or not.

Honestly, I'm more discouraged than anything. CA makes tiny block rigging quite satisfying rather than frustrating.

Hi Paul,

It sounds like there’s some options for you, which is really good. Hopefully the new glue will not be an irritant and you can continue with your block rigging.

I hope I wasn’t presumptuous with my input.
Look on the bright side - you don’t have to wear a hazmat suit ;)

Back