Vasa - 1:65 DeAgostini [COMPLETED BUILD]

One more thought on the great pin-rail debate. It is well known that Dutch shipwrights were prized by the admiralties of foreign navies. Both the French and Swedish employed Dutch builders, and in fact, the lead carpenter that build Vasa was, himself, Dutch born. If pinrails were a common feature of Dutch ships, I don’t see why they wouldn’t cross-pollinate the navies of other nations. When in doubt, consult the Van de Veldes. Here, Dutch warships after the battle:

View attachment 261437
View attachment 261438

These grissaile drawings are just about as close to photography as one will ever get in the 17th C. They’re a little difficult to see because there is so much detail, but pins are present, piercing the sheer-rails, and beneath the fighting-cloth rails - just as you have them, Paul.
The detail in these drawings (especially the second one) is mesmerizing. I just wasted half an hour of my life staring at it noting various bits and baubles: the swabs at the fore - the proper anchor knot - the handedness of the lines - the bolts on the hull - the sea of humanity on the deck - the clinker planking on the boat... Imagine what I would see if I knew what I was looking at!

Hello @Jack Sparrow. Here is what I am planning to do:

View attachment 259641
Hello Paul
I don't know if you had a chance to view the post I made today on the Soleil Royal but I am facing some challenges on tying the top t the bowsprit
The ZLH kit has a piece similar to the one you are showing above, sitting between the end of the bowsprit and the top but it is not stable at all once glued.
Do you have any recommendation on this?
Thanks

which part exactly is unstable? I can show you what I did, but I am not sure what you are referring to.
Hi Jack Sparrow
The top that sits at the end of the bowsprit is the unstable part.
See picture below what I did.
20211012_182152.jpg

I have now removed the top and shall redo the part between the top and the bowsprit.
I believe if it's a bit wider and is firmly inserted, it should do the trick

The end of the bowsprit should fit tightly between the trestletrees of the bowsprit top. That provides strong support to the bowsprit top with additional support provided by the chainplates underneath. Sometimes the bowsprit was slightly flattened on the top surface where the knee is fastened to the bowsprit. This provides some transverse support to the knee.

Examples
1634113559453.png

1634114405217.png

Plethora of bonus rigging info
1634113703867.png

1634113762232.png

1634113943072.png

Last edited:
The end of the bowsprit should fit tightly between the trestletrees of the bowsprit top. That provides strong support to the bowsprit top with additional support provided by the chainplates underneath. Sometimes the bowsprit was slightly flattened on the top surface where the knee is fastened to the bowsprit. This provides some transverse support to the knee.

Examples
View attachment 262052

View attachment 262088

Plethora of bonus rigging info
View attachment 262055

View attachment 262056

View attachment 262064
Thanks a lot Kurt
Very useful

I think it would not too difficult at this point to detach the knee from the top with a razor knife and slide it down, replace the chainplates, and while you're at it, make smaller, blackened eyebolts from wire for those chainplates. They are too large and detract from the other nice details.
Thanks Kurt
Good idea regarding the eyebolts. Will do

The detail in these drawings (especially the second one) is mesmerizing. I just wasted half an hour of my life staring at it noting various bits and baubles: the swabs at the fore - the proper anchor knot - the handedness of the lines - the bolts on the hull - the sea of humanity on the deck - the clinker planking on the boat... Imagine what I would see if I knew what I was looking at!
Hey Paul, I am just catching up with your log and as always it's great to follow your excellent progress. I chuckled at your comments in the text box above because that is exactly how I feel some days wading through books and plans showing very confusing "old ways" :).

Hello Dear Friends,

When I last posted I had just completed the knees that support the centerline of the beakhead. Following a brief holiday with my bride work on that area continued in earnest. First up was the simple task of added a rubbing strip for the anchor ropes as they exited the hull. Here is the goal (visible just above the upper knee):

415.jpeg

Once again I was struck by how long the simplest tasks take. That said, the second one was completed in half the time of the first one.

IMG_7198.JPG IMG_7199.JPG

I then took up the floor of the beakhead along with a few other details. For orientation, here is a picture that will give you a rough sense of how the galleon appears on the museum ship.

Stockholm-180323_8848.jpg

My first step was to install some stringers (or whatever they are called on a ship):

IMG_7203.JPG

Then the floor beams themselves:

IMG_7210.JPG

IMG_7211.JPG

Next, I added the pin rails that run along the bulwark (as well as the cap rail):

IMG_7214.JPG

IMG_7217.JPG

The last step for this weekend was adding the two pin rails that run across the beakhead:

IMG_7220.JPG

IMG_7222.JPG

Next up: the steps that lead down to the floor of the galleon. I haven't quite figured out how to fabricate those yet (never mind how to install them). I suspect there will need to be some concessions to scale (which was also necessary on the floor of the galleon).

This scratch construction has challenged me beyond my abilities and experience. My deepest respect to those who work from drawings - you are the true masters of our avocation.

Hello Dear Friends,

When I last posted I had just completed the knees that support the centerline of the beakhead. Following a brief holiday with my bride work on that area continued in earnest. First up was the simple task of added a rubbing strip for the anchor ropes as they exited the hull. Here is the goal (visible just above the upper knee):

View attachment 263427

Once again I was struck by how long the simplest tasks take. That said, the second one was completed in half the time of the first one.

View attachment 263428 View attachment 263429

I then took up the floor of the beakhead along with a few other details. For orientation, here is a picture that will give you a rough sense of how the galleon appears on the museum ship.

View attachment 263426

My first step was to install some stringers (or whatever they are called on a ship):

View attachment 263430

View attachment 263431

View attachment 263432

Next, I added the pin rails that run along the bulwark (as well as the cap rail):

View attachment 263433

View attachment 263434

The last step for this weekend was adding the two pin rails that run across the beakhead:

View attachment 263435

View attachment 263436

Next up: the steps that lead down to the floor of the galleon. I haven't quite figured out how to fabricate those yet (never mind how to install them). I suspect there will need to be some concessions to scale (which was also necessary on the floor of the galleon).

This scratch construction has challenged me beyond my abilities and experience. My deepest respect to those who work from drawings - you are the true masters of our avocation.
Looking great Paul!
The steps appear to be a one off, each one being different! With these steps I would recommend getting a board that will fit at the proper elevation and be tangent on the sides. This is your support to press a firm type putty in there on top of it. Then remove and use as a template being careful not to distort the putty, hence using a firm type. Or use some impression material… doc! ;)

ps - then there is always paper templates.

Last edited:
Hello Dear Friends,

View attachment 263427

View attachment 263428 View attachment 263429

View attachment 263426

View attachment 263430

View attachment 263431

View attachment 263432

View attachment 263433

View attachment 263434

View attachment 263435

View attachment 263436

WOW Paul! Your carpentry is exquisite. I love the neat clean lines and joinery.

Back