VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Congratulations on your special day Daniel. May you be granted many years of good health and model building!

Join others, Daniel, and wishing you all the best on your special day! Happy Birthday! Birthday-Cake

Good Sunday morning to all.
I have spent the last week concentrating on the ships lower railing system. 175 post all slightly different lengths with extra shoring at the gun ports. The trick is to get the right angle honed in on the top and bottom of each post so that they set plumb and the cap rail sets down on them on its constantly changing slope all the while having an appearance of nice fitting joints. As you can see I have a LONG way to go in achieving good looking joinery. Before setting the upper railing system I think it best for me to set all the deck canons with their rigging, the various deck snatch blocks and any other deck furnishings required. The design of the upper railing system looks to be very fragile and prone to frequent replacement so it will go on later. For now I've decided not to paint any of the rails but just leave them in their natural walnut wood however I may change my mind in the future. I would like to know your opinion on this.

IMG_1285.jpgIMG_1286.jpgIMG_1287.jpgIMG_1289.jpgIMG_1291.jpgIMG_1292.jpgIMG_1293.jpgIMG_1294.jpg

Thanks for looking in and as always
Happy Modeling!

Good Sunday morning to all.
I have spent the last week concentrating on the ships lower railing system. 175 post all slightly different lengths with extra shoring at the gun ports. The trick is to get the right angle honed in on the top and bottom of each post so that they set plumb and the cap rail sets down on them on its constantly changing slope all the while having an appearance of nice fitting joints. As you can see I have a LONG way to go in achieving good looking joinery. Before setting the upper railing system I think it best for me to set all the deck canons with their rigging, the various deck snatch blocks and any other deck furnishings required. The design of the upper railing system looks to be very fragile and prone to frequent replacement so it will go on later. For now I've decided not to paint any of the rails but just leave them in their natural walnut wood however I may change my mind in the future. I would like to know your opinion on this.

View attachment 263372View attachment 263373View attachment 263374View attachment 263375View attachment 263377View attachment 263378View attachment 263379View attachment 263380

Thanks for looking in and as always
Happy Modeling!
She looking fantastic Daniel! Great work! I too vote to keep the posts natural wood, as it’s a nice contrast with the color. ;)

She looking fantastic Daniel! Great work! I too vote to keep the posts natural wood, as it’s a nice contrast with the color. ;)
Thank you Dean, I'm starting to get excited and anxious about the canon rigging. I can see a battle brewing with the 4mm blocks and trying to create a tiny becket for them. So far not having too much luck.

Thank you Dean, I'm starting to get excited and anxious about the canon rigging. I can see a battle brewing with the 4mm blocks and trying to create a tiny becket for them. So far not having too much luck.
Yes, that’s always tedious nerve racking work! But be patient and think of the end goal, no rush to get there! ;)

The time difference between China and the USA makes me sound like a parrot now - however, you do know what a big fan I am of walnut and oak, so natural wood color it is. It frames the red of the bulwarks both at the top and bottom.

Back