VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

The time difference between China and the USA makes me sound like a parrot now - however, you do know what a big fan I am of walnut and oak, so natural wood color it is. It frames the red of the bulwarks both at the top and bottom.
Thank you for your opinion Heinrich. No need to be concerned about sounding like a parrot to me. A very learned scholar would be a more appropriate description of you. It must be close to 7PM your time while it is almost 6AM here in Houston Texas at the time of this post.

Good morning all.
Just an update about my canon rigging. I had purchased 2.5mm sheave blocks and was shocked at how tiny they really were and decided I could not work with them. So I purchased 4mm blocks, rigged them up and dry fit them to the canon and bulwark and lo and behold, they are too BIG! Now I will perform microsurgery for the 14 canon rigs and it will be a labor of love (I hope)Speechless. Actually you can see from the photos below it will look much better with the 2.5mm
blocks.

IMG_1308.jpgIMG_1311.jpg

With the 4mm blocks above on the left, roped together and cinched tight with the eyelets produced an assembly that was longer than the canon carriage.
Note also I need to acquire smaller lanyards to attach to the carriage and bulwark.
Until next time, Happy Modeling!

I hope you have good eyes and a steady hand those blocks are small but they'll look fantastic. I can't remember where I saw it but I have seen the cannons rigged directly on the eyebolts with no blocks, it was only when you looked closely you realise what was missing.

I hope you have good eyes and a steady hand those blocks are small but they'll look fantastic. I can't remember where I saw it but I have seen the cannons rigged directly on the eyebolts with no blocks, it was only when you looked closely you realise what was missing.
Hi Tony,
My interpretation based on this drawing is there is a heavy shock or recoil rope attached directly to the bulwark without blocks. Next is the loading, pull back, aiming etc. tackle which does incorporate single or double sheave blocks. I will omit the 'pull back' tackle as there is no room among the stern mounted canons.
I think this is mostly due to a bad scale set on the deck grating.

Cannon Rigging.jpg

Another short canon update and milestone. After an amazing long time finally have my first canon ready to go and installed. The little 2.5mm blocks are hardly visible but they are there. I chose the hardest to get to location so at least the rest will give a bit more room to manipulate. Speaking of manipulation, during installation I managed to find every conceivable position EXCEPT the one I needed before the glue set up. Ha, just like saran wrap I can make it cling to everything except what I want it wrap up.

IMG_1319.jpgIMG_1321.jpg

Hi Tony,
My interpretation based on this drawing is there is a heavy shock or recoil rope attached directly to the bulwark without blocks. Next is the loading, pull back, aiming etc. tackle which does incorporate single or double sheave blocks. I will omit the 'pull back' tackle as there is no room among the stern mounted canons.
I think this is mostly due to a bad scale set on the deck grating.

View attachment 263857
Hi Daniel,

Your Vasa looks great sofar, I have build it some 35 years ago and the kit nearly didn't change.
One remark about your gun tackles. The way you rig them is English. The Vasa guns were rigged the Dutch way, this means the breach rope is not on the gun barrel but goes through the carriage.
See below a picture of an original Vasa gun carriage the breach rope goes through the hole at the red arrow.
Screenshot_20211023-223834_Google.jpg
Keep up the good work, like it a lot.

Hi Daniel,

Your Vasa looks great sofar, I have build it some 35 years ago and the kit nearly didn't change.
One remark about your gun tackles. The way you rig them is English. The Vasa guns were rigged the Dutch way, this means the breach rope is not on the gun barrel but goes through the carriage.
See below a picture of an original Vasa gun carriage the breach rope goes through the hole at the red arrow.
View attachment 264697
Keep up the good work, like it a lot.
Ok I see that. Thank you Maarten for the heads up!

:D No worries there Daniel. Maarten, is, of course, 100% correct. That is also the way they are rigged on the Haarlem.

Daniel,

Very nice work rigging your carriages, look very much in scale - also smaller blocks made it perfect!! - also glad that you "fixed" breach rope bit -

I remember that location from my build as well.

Regards,

Sorry I haven’t commented earlier Daniel - your progress has accelerated rapidly. Good choice with the 2.5mm cannon blocks - They look excellent even though rigging them is hard. A needle threader helps a lot when these small blocks have to be threaded.

I completely agree too with all the comments about your walnut railings. They look outstanding and give excellent contrast to the red panelling.

Great work.

Back