VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Thanks always happy to spend time here - You build is improves with each post !!! great to see

Been so busy outside of home of late that I have little disposable time to sit for a while enjoying going over the logs that I so like. Have not had much of any time to actually work in my shipyards as well.
Hmmm - all good not complaining happy to be working actually. Also when I read through logs I need to be more proactive in offering ideas (when asked for) -
Well our son coming down next week - will have a very good few consecutive days at home :)

Cheers,

Good afternoon all.
I finished the wood work portion of the beakhead, with the exception of a few slats that will wait till I install the bowsprit gammoning. I had several do overs as this was perhaps second only to canon rigging in tedious ness. All the stairs, knee braces, and 'seats of ease are cut outs in walnut that I did with my new scroll saw! Next up will be carving decorations on the beakhead sides.

IMG_1442.jpgIMG_1445.jpgIMG_1447.jpgIMG_1448.jpgIMG_1449.jpg

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving, thanks for checking in.

Good morning to all.
I have finished the port side gallery carvings and I am very happy with the result. I decided to omit the square opening in the lower gallery because I didn't want to 'interrupt' the look. The Billings version of the carvings lack some historical accuracy in quantity, shape, and locations, but still presents a quite beautiful rendition.
I love the way this ship challenges me, I love the way all of you following this build challenge me as well.
Thanks for checking in.
View attachment 268878View attachment 268879View attachment 268880
wow. great work. i love the contrast between the gold decorations and that red color you used.

Good afternoon all.
I finished the wood work portion of the beakhead, with the exception of a few slats that will wait till I install the bowsprit gammoning. I had several do overs as this was perhaps second only to canon rigging in tedious ness. All the stairs, knee braces, and 'seats of ease are cut outs in walnut that I did with my new scroll saw! Next up will be carving decorations on the beakhead sides.

View attachment 271653View attachment 271654View attachment 271655View attachment 271656View attachment 271657

I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving, thanks for checking in.
Looks great Daniel! Definitely a lot going on in the bow of the ship! Did you say carving! ;)

Brilliant Daniel! A breathtaking result. The detailing is just wonderful. You have decidedly captured the beauty of the original galleon - a rare and mighty accomplishment.

Once a man has a new scroll saw there's no stopping him!
Thank you so much for your kind words Paul. I don't know if I'll ever reach the skill level I'm seeking but the scroll saw definitely makes the journey even more enjoyable.

Just superb work Daniel! I really like the knees between the side railings and the pin rails - those are just a superb little detail.

Good morning (well for me) Daniel. She is looking beautiful and really good progress happening on your build. Awesome job.
Hello Grant.
Good morning from Houston Texas as well. Thank you for the kind words. I just got back from visiting your HMS Victory and WOW I'm impressed! There are only two seasons here in Houston, summer time, and JULY/AUGUST (also known as hell's front porch)! Ha! We are about 6 weeks into our winter here. Again, thanks for stopping by.

Just a quick update. I have finished installing the remainder of the gilded carvings on the beakhead. The kit supplied lion leaves much to be desired and I will mull on that for the time being. You might also note I added the anchor booms. Once I get the bow sprit installed, I can complete the beakhead in its entirety. I'm thinking at this point I need to start turning and prepping all the mast and spars and I can finally start going vertical!

IMG_1450.jpgIMG_1456.jpgIMG_1460.jpgIMG_1462.jpg

Thank you all once again for checking on me. Happy modeling!!

Back