VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Hello Navy and welcome aboard! If you have started a build log I'll look for it. Yes I have spent a lot of time in Pearland over the years building bridges in and around the city. I was the senior survey manager for our construction company.
I’m close by in Fort Bend...

Last edited:
Hello Luigi.
Yes the majority of the materials are of good quality. The plywood parts sheets are excellent. I'm not too pleased with the hull planking which is Obechi so I purchased after market strips and planks of walnut to use as a veneer. I've also upgraded all the sheave blocks to pearwood and will upgrade the rope string. These upgrades are just a personal preference. I will say that the kit supplied rope string is terrible though. Thank you for your complement.

Hi Daniel,
The quality of string in my kit (Endeavour from OcCre) was also not satisfactory (fuzzy) and so I purchase replacement string made from polyester. I also replaced the blocks and procured better ones from the Czech Republic. The wood strips in the kit on the other hand were very good.
Trevor

Good afternoon all.
Here is a interim update. Finished placing the filler bracing pieces at the bow and stern and set the short aft area deck.IMG_0889.jpgIMG_0890.jpgIMG_0891.jpg

These last two photos show a partially soaked dry fit if you will. the hull planks on each side will be the bottom of the lower deck gun ports. It is just a reference to come off of. While I had the water out I soaked the bow section of the starboard and port bulwarks to help in shaping a tight curve area. Next I will trim off "some" of the protruding bulkhead tips then begin deck planking.IMG_0894.jpg
IMG_0892.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Happy modeling!

Hi Daniel you've made fine progress. It's always amazing to see how a box of flat wooden parts come together to make a three dimensional ship this is one of my favourite parts of the build. Interesting to see the differences between the other brands of the Vasa.

Awesome, Daniel! The bulwark piece is unexpected - I missed that in studying other Billings Vasa logs. I handled the frame tips poorly on my build and it created problems for me later. I like you idea of trimming them as appropriate. I wish I had known enough to do that...

Be certain of that plank location - it is critical to get that right!

Looking good Daniel.
Deck and hull planking are upon you. They are both a satisfying part of the build in my opinion, as they greatly influence the overall look of the ship, being part of the foundation as much as the frames and keel.
So take your time and put your best effort into these important areas. I know I’m being rhetorical to point this out, but just making sure you don’t get excited and rush these critical areas! ;)

Yo Ho,

Great job with the first (and awe inspireing) step toward Nautical Nirvana.

I am also working on a protracted build from 1979! Back then, trees had only recently been discovered for their "wood"! This is an Old School Kit.

LASER Pre-cuts? Fugettaboutit... Those cute little computer lathe cut, laser guided, pre-rounded, automatic, plug, glue, play parts? Nuh unh, not in this baby. This kit was produced before man was walking fully erect. And THAT is what makes it such a challanging and satisfying build.

I also can not find plans from this kit, so am relying on the web to search other builder's plans. BB has done a fantastic job of improveing the kit over the years.

So after having left this half-done model in strorage for 40 years, I decided to finish it. (Did he say 40 YEARS?)
For the most part I am moving along. Hull is done. Deck furniture, gun ports, rudder & rails, will pretty much bring her to the doorstep of Phase ll... the rigging!

My build is also a Wasa 490 BB kit, albeit circa: 1978, It was fabulous then, even more so now. It will be interesting to see how the newer kit addresses some build aspects of my ship. I will watch your progress with the rest of the crew, enjoy, good luck, and good Health!

Good on yer Matey!

Great work Daniel. I can hardly remember being at this stage it seems so long ago. In fact, thinking about it, one of the best ways of remembering the work at this point is in the documented ship’s build log. So glad now I put on that effort!!

You’re build looks great at this stage. Keep going and always look at the detail!!!

PeterG

Daniel,

While you have the deck and Hull open and accessible, two things you might consider which I did on my BB Vasa, was:

1. Look at your section plans and estimate where your lower, gun deck is positioned along each side of the hull. From this, I then put in false floors between the bulkheads that allowed me to mount gun deck gun carriages later. It was much easier than feeding the parts through the gun ports after planking. The alternative is to place the false floors as the planking comes up. This approach provides a more accurate positioning for the positions of the floors.

2. Think about the possibility of running some ‘in hull’ lighting LEDs. It’s easy with the Hull open but adds great effect later.

PeterG

Last edited:
Hi Daniel you've made fine progress. It's always amazing to see how a box of flat wooden parts come together to make a three dimensional ship this is one of my favourite parts of the build. Interesting to see the differences between the other brands of the Vasa.
Thanks Tony, it really is amazing how these models create a sense of excitement and challenge at the same time.

Awesome, Daniel! The bulwark piece is unexpected - I missed that in studying other Billings Vasa logs. I handled the frame tips poorly on my build and it created problems for me later. I like you idea of trimming them as appropriate. I wish I had known enough to do that...

Be certain of that plank location - it is critical to get that right!
Thank you Paul. Its interesting that the plans for my HMS Fly called for the removal of those BH tips prior to decking but the Billings WASA plans show to keep them. I know the real VASA has a continuous vertical board and a notched horizontal board along the port and starboard sides. I'll probably need to keep the taller tips in place to maintain shape and angle. I have spent a lot of time mapping out the location of the "gun port plank" as I agree with you if its not right it could kill the whole appearance.

Attachments

• Gun Ports.PDF
    72.3 KB · Views: 62
Looking good Daniel.
Deck and hull planking are upon you. They are both a satisfying part of the build in my opinion, as they greatly influence the overall look of the ship, being part of the foundation as much as the frames and keel.
So take your time and put your best effort into these important areas. I know I’m being rhetorical to point this out, but just making sure you don’t get excited and rush these critical areas! ;)
Thank you Dean for your advice and encouragement. I'm going to attempt the tar in between the deck planks look which the first time I did it was a disaster. Also will try the but joint and nail look as well.

In your drawing you show gun ports overlapping frame pieces. What's your plan there? Also, note that the gun ports on the Vasa are not regularly spaced (at least not identically spaced).

Back