VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Indeed looking good - PS: nice mouse - those are hard to get "right" - all other work Thumbs-Up
Thank you, John. I found carving the mouse from basswood easy, getting the serving to wind evenly over it was somewhat of a challenge. Look at my post #508 for a little more detail.

The overall view looks beautiful, there is nothing to fault on the close-ups and the quality of your rope not only speaks volumes as to your manufacturing expertise, but also adds to the overall quality of your build in heaps and numbers. Well done my friend!

Good morning, everyone.
It has been about 3 weeks since I updated my log with progress. The lower shrouds, tackles, stays are installed. I still need to place the ratlines but think I will wait till I've set the lower yards so I can access their belay points easier (maybe). Here is an overall of the ship.

View attachment 295100

Next are a few close ups.

View attachment 295101View attachment 295102View attachment 295103View attachment 295104View attachment 295105View attachment 295106View attachment 295107

I hope you enjoy the pictures and as always thanks for checking in.
Happy modeling.
Good morning Daniel- so good to see your Vasa progress. First Class well done. Your detail is incredible- e.g. your fittment of the blocks to the eyelets, the mouse.....Can go on and on. Cheers Grant

The overall view looks beautiful, there is nothing to fault on the close-ups and the quality of your rope not only speaks volumes as to your manufacturing expertise, but also adds to the overall quality of your build in heaps and numbers. Well done my friend!
Thank you, Heinrich. I can see where progress is going to be slower as I move along with the rigging. While it might appear there is ample instruction, there is still so much ambiguity, the lack of critical detail, it just drives me crazy. Well, it could be I'm already crazy and am headed straight for insane :p

Thank you, Heinrich. I can see where progress is going to be slower as I move along with the rigging. While it might appear there is ample instruction, there is still so much ambiguity, the lack of critical detail, it just drives me crazy. Well, it could be I'm already crazy and am headed straight for insane :p
Yes Daniel - I think the VASA builders - and of course anyone who is building such a widely-modeled subject - are sometimes really challenged by all the information that is seemingly available, but in reality just adds to confusion. I am so fortunate that I have Piet's example to follow on the WB and I know I can be done with it - no second-guessing! :)

Very good work on the standing rigging - this quality of the rigging is making your model to a very good model

Good afternoon to all,
This log entry shows progress I made on the bowsprit and its associated mast. I forgot to mention in my last post that I made a decision to make 'served beckets' for block stropping only on those blocks that are used in the standing rigging (upper portion of dead eye strops are however non-served). All running rigging blocks will be stropped with non-served beckets. Progress is slow on the Vasa right now but fortunately my side business of cartography is keeping me busy. In the near future I'll be placing the next levels of masting with their associated shrouds and tying in the lower futtock shrouds as well.

IMG_1760.jpgIMG_1761.jpgIMG_1781.jpgIMG_1785.jpgIMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

Once again, I sure thank you all for looking in on me. Happy modeling to everyone.

Good afternoon to all,
This log entry shows progress I made on the bowsprit and its associated mast. I forgot to mention in my last post that I made a decision to make 'served beckets' for block stropping only on those blocks that are used in the standing rigging (upper portion of dead eye strops are however non-served). All running rigging blocks will be stropped with non-served beckets. Progress is slow on the Vasa right now but fortunately my side business of cartography is keeping me busy. In the near future I'll be placing the next levels of masting with their associated shrouds and tying in the lower futtock shrouds as well.

View attachment 297207View attachment 297208View attachment 297209View attachment 297210View attachment 297211

View attachment 297212

Once again, I sure thank you all for looking in on me. Happy modeling to everyone.
Looks good Daniel! That sure is a lot of blocks on the bowsprit!

Good morning, everyone.
It has been about 3 weeks since I updated my log with progress. The lower shrouds, tackles, stays are installed. I still need to place the ratlines but think I will wait till I've set the lower yards so I can access their belay points easier (maybe). Here is an overall of the ship.

View attachment 295100

Next are a few close ups.

View attachment 295101View attachment 295102View attachment 295103View attachment 295104View attachment 295105View attachment 295106View attachment 295107

I hope you enjoy the pictures and as always thanks for checking in.
Happy modeling.
Hi Daniel. That looks very impessive from where I'm sat, well done

Back