VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Good morning, everyone.
I finally have some progress to show. The focus here is shroud lines which I have finished (sans ratlines) and forestays. I have followed the Billings layout including the mizzen forestay which is a single rope beginning at what I call the mizzen topsail crosstrees, passing through a block attached at the mainmast top then down to a tackle arrangement with violin block and attaching to a deck ring at a location I chose close to the knightheads. Now I know this method does not follow Mr. Fred Hocker or the museum model examples. I have the utmost respect for Mr. Hocker and his research; however, I just cannot bring myself to attach those double forestays to the aft main shroud lines with the crow's feet. This is purely a personal decision which is not without precedence as the Billings method has been used in early Dutch rigging design. So here are some closeups showing methods and outcomes.

IMG_1849.jpgIMG_1851.jpgIMG_1852.jpgIMG_1876.jpgIMG_1878.jpgIMG_1879.jpgIMG_1880.jpg

You may notice I have only temporally terminated the live ends of the newest forestays.

Next, I decided to change up the backdrop and took over our breakfast room for some overall pics.

IMG_1895.jpgIMG_1899.jpgIMG_1902.jpgIMG_1903.jpg

For this last photo I thought you might like to see the culprit responsible for building this version of the Vasa.

IMG_1908.jpg

I plan on my next update to include the finished ratlines and all the backstays.
I sure thank you all for checking in on my build and 'Happy Modeling'.

Wow , wow and wow !!! Now we are talking. Boh, oh boy - that makes me SO excited to see that magnificent ship and I am so glad that you have included a picture of yourself. With regards to your rigging being different from the Hocker interpretation - let the first person who criticize your rigging, try and do better! Exquisite my friend!

Wow , wow and wow !!! Now we are talking. Boh, oh boy - that makes me SO excited to see that magnificent ship and I am so glad that you have included a picture of yourself. With regards to your rigging being different from the Hocker interpretation - let the first person who criticize your rigging, try and do better! Exquisite my friend!
Thank you Heinrich. You just gave me the boost I needed to charge into the ratlines!

Brilliant Daniel. While you are certainly capable of doing the crowsfeet (see your fore topmast stay as evidence) decisions need to be made along the way. While I like the way I did my mizzen stay(s) I can honestly say I like your interpretation just as well. Indeed, what's the point if we all make the exact same decisions (and thus the exact same ship) at every point along the way.

Every single one of my patients gets my best effort - but they all end up with their own unique smile. And so it should be with works of art (after all, we're not actually making ships - but artistic interpretations of them). What would be fun would be to gather up the finished models of all the Vasa's recorded on this site for a group exhibition. It'll never happen, but it sure would be fun.

Brilliant Daniel. While you are certainly capable of doing the crowsfeet (see your fore topmast stay as evidence) decisions need to be made along the way. While I like the way I did my mizzen stay(s) I can honestly say I like your interpretation just as well. Indeed, what's the point if we all make the exact same decisions (and thus the exact same ship) at every point along the way.

Every single one of my patients gets my best effort - but they all end up with their own unique smile. And so it should be with works of art (after all, we're not actually making ships - but artistic interpretations of them). What would be fun would be to gather up the finished models of all the Vasa's recorded on this site for a group exhibition. It'll never happen, but it sure would be fun.
Thank you Paul,
Yes indeed, what an exhibition that would be.

Daniel,
Well done!!! She looks really nice!
Interesting choice of mizzen topmast stay rigging! :) but why not...
I saw ratlines are comining :))) nice meditation job! :)))
Wish You happy modeling and only one, don't make them too "thick" :) carefully choose right size ...
All the Best!
ps
there is small shining effect of your threads... or this just visual artefact on the foto or You didn't condition them(paint, varnish or oil, etc) before use?

Daniel,
Wish You happy modeling and only one, don't make them too "thick" :) carefully choose right size ...
All the Best!
ps
there is small shining effect of your threads... or this just visual artefact on the foto or You didn't condition them(paint, varnish or oil, etc) before use?
I believe the shine or luster comes from using polyester thread, not cotton thread.

Daniel,
All the Best!
ps
Hello Kirill,
Thank you for your compliments. The ratlines will be 0.34mm+- going on the 1mm lower shroud lines. The upper shrouds are approx. 0.7mm so I may go down to 0.24mm ratlines there. The shine you see on the rigging is from using a filler flash while photographing. The source threads for my rope are polyester and it does tend to reflect the flash. There is no coating on them.

Paul wants a challenge? Move your office to England, Paul. ROTF

Back