VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Good morning, everyone.
I finally have some progress to show. The focus here is shroud lines which I have finished (sans ratlines) and forestays. I have followed the Billings layout including the mizzen forestay which is a single rope beginning at what I call the mizzen topsail crosstrees, passing through a block attached at the mainmast top then down to a tackle arrangement with violin block and attaching to a deck ring at a location I chose close to the knightheads. Now I know this method does not follow Mr. Fred Hocker or the museum model examples. I have the utmost respect for Mr. Hocker and his research; however, I just cannot bring myself to attach those double forestays to the aft main shroud lines with the crow's feet. This is purely a personal decision which is not without precedence as the Billings method has been used in early Dutch rigging design. So here are some closeups showing methods and outcomes.

View attachment 307629View attachment 307630View attachment 307631View attachment 307632View attachment 307633View attachment 307634View attachment 307635

You may notice I have only temporally terminated the live ends of the newest forestays.

Next, I decided to change up the backdrop and took over our breakfast room for some overall pics.

View attachment 307636View attachment 307638View attachment 307639View attachment 307640

For this last photo I thought you might like to see the culprit responsible for building this version of the Vasa.

View attachment 307641

I plan on my next update to include the finished ratlines and all the backstays.
I sure thank you all for checking in on my build and 'Happy Modeling'.
Daniel, hi. Nice to see you next to this beautiful model. Your skill level is growing exponentially.

After first being overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of this build, I suddenly realized that, when seeing those overall pictures of your model, the art, labor, research, time don't show any more. Only once you zoom in to the details, all the passion surfaces. Great job.

After first being overwhelmed by the sheer beauty of this build, I suddenly realized that, when seeing those overall pictures of your model, the art, labor, research, time don't show any more. Only once you zoom in to the details, all the passion surfaces. Great job.
Thank you very much Johan. It has occurred to me I will eventually need sails. The admiral doesn't sew (and I have never tried it) although we do have a machine, I will bet you I can sew in every direction (including fingers) but, a straight line required for sails! Perhaps the greatest challenge I will face yet.

Hi Daniel, I've just caught up with your build log of the Vasa now. Excellent work indeed! Just wondering, did you get DryDock blocks and dead-eyes for this build as you wished you had for your Fly model, or did you simply go with the kit's supply?

Good evening all!
Happy days are here again. I just finished the rat lines and wow 1,214 clove hitches.
Here are a few photos. Foremast, mainmast, mizzen mast, bow sprit then a close up at the main top.

IMG_1946.jpgIMG_1948.jpgIMG_1949.jpgIMG_1950.jpgIMG_1952.jpg

As a side note, I had a lot of paint and tools on my table that I was always having to reach around or thru my ship get, so went to IKEA (Swedish store here in Houston) and purchased some shelving to put all this stuff up high for convenient access.

Now onto the more interesting portions of this build.
Thanks again for stopping by, I'm always humbled by the interest you all show.
Happy Modeling!

Hi Daniel, I've just caught up with your build log of the Vasa now. Excellent work indeed! Just wondering, did you get DryDock blocks and dead-eyes for this build as you wished you had for your Fly model, or did you simply go with the kit's supply?
Hi Nomad. Thank you for the compliment. I used Crafty Sailor and Modelers Central for the triangle dead eye blocks and Dry Dock for the violin blocks and all the rest of the single and double blocks. I'm sure I will never use kit supplied blocks again unless they put quality ones in the kit.

Dear Daniel. What can I say that hasn't been said already. You are simply delivering wonderful work on your VASA and whilst I admire every single detail that you craft so skillfully, the most impressive aspect of your build will always be the sheer authenticity of your build. It is not a model - it is a miniature ship!

Good evening all!
Happy days are here again. I just finished the rat lines and wow 1,214 clove hitches.
Here are a few photos. Foremast, mainmast, mizzen mast, bow sprit then a close up at the main top.

View attachment 312633View attachment 312634View attachment 312635View attachment 312636View attachment 312637

As a side note, I had a lot of paint and tools on my table that I was always having to reach around or thru my ship get, so went to IKEA (Swedish store here in Houston) and purchased some shelving to put all this stuff up high for convenient access.

Now onto the more interesting portions of this build.
Thanks again for stopping by, I'm always humbled by the interest you all show.
Happy Modeling!
Good morning Daniel. The complimentary posts from every one are well deserved. I wish there where applauding emojis here as I would certainly be sending you a whole lot. Absolutely love your ratlines! outstanding.
Personally I enjoy the photos of your ship in your breakfast room it is a beautiful rendition of the VASA for sure- nice to meet you as well Daniel.
Cheers Grant

Hold on Daniel. Those are all wrong. You did them left to right and they're supposed to be right to left.
Paul, good afternoon. This is a dispute from the series: what came first the egg or the chicken. In Russia, too, more than one spear was broken regarding the direction of the rigging lay, in the end, everyone does what he thinks is right. I will tell you that at our competitions, the judges do not pay attention to the direction of the lay.
P.S. unless it was a joke on your part. Then my opus is superfluous :)

Paul, good afternoon. This is a dispute from the series: what came first the egg or the chicken. In Russia, too, more than one spear was broken regarding the direction of the rigging lay, in the end, everyone does what he thinks is right. I will tell you that at our competitions, the judges do not pay attention to the direction of the lay.
P.S. unless it was a joke on your part. Then my opus is superfluous :)
Hello Alessandro74, I'm sorry it is a very serious accusation of what you assert about the judges who do not pay attention to the lay, if I understand correctly

Hello Alessandro74, I'm sorry it is a very serious accusation of what you assert about the judges who do not pay attention to the lay, if I understand correctly
This is not an accusation, this is from my experience of participating in the Championships of Russia and Belarus

Back