VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Paul, good afternoon. This is a dispute from the series: what came first the egg or the chicken. In Russia, too, more than one spear was broken regarding the direction of the rigging lay, in the end, everyone does what he thinks is right. I will tell you that at our competitions, the judges do not pay attention to the direction of the lay.
P.S. unless it was a joke on your part. Then my opus is superfluous :)
Hello Sasha- I think Paul was being Paul....his wit is almost as good as his VASA ;) . I must remember that ...”my opus is superfluous” ....excellent. Cheers

Good evening all!
Happy days are here again. I just finished the rat lines and wow 1,214 clove hitches.
Here are a few photos. Foremast, mainmast, mizzen mast, bow sprit then a close up at the main top.

View attachment 312633View attachment 312634View attachment 312635View attachment 312636View attachment 312637

As a side note, I had a lot of paint and tools on my table that I was always having to reach around or thru my ship get, so went to IKEA (Swedish store here in Houston) and purchased some shelving to put all this stuff up high for convenient access.

Now onto the more interesting portions of this build.
Thanks again for stopping by, I'm always humbled by the interest you all show.
Happy Modeling!
Hi Daniel great job with the ratlines your Vasa Is looking fantastic. I wish I could keep my work area as clean and tidy as yours, something I will try and work on with my next build.

Dear Daniel. What can I say that hasn't been said already. You are simply delivering wonderful work on your VASA and whilst I admire every single detail that you craft so skillfully, the most impressive aspect of your build will always be the sheer authenticity of your build. It is not a model - it is a miniature ship!
Thank you for your very kind words Heinrich. I am so glad to hear covid restrictions are easing for you all over there as evidenced by your and Anna's restaurant outing. Hopefully the shipping restrictions will ease up soon for you as well.

Good morning Daniel. The complimentary posts from every one are well deserved. I wish there where applauding emojis here as I would certainly be sending you a whole lot. Absolutely love your ratlines! outstanding.
Personally I enjoy the photos of your ship in your breakfast room it is a beautiful rendition of the VASA for sure- nice to meet you as well Daniel.
Cheers Grant
Thank you Grant for the kind words. I do have more photos planned for other areas around our house. It does make for a nice change of background.

Paul, good afternoon. This is a dispute from the series: what came first the egg or the chicken. In Russia, too, more than one spear was broken regarding the direction of the rigging lay, in the end, everyone does what he thinks is right. I will tell you that at our competitions, the judges do not pay attention to the direction of the lay.
P.S. unless it was a joke on your part. Then my opus is superfluous :)
Hi Sasha. I'm always honored when you stop by and visit my work. Pauls comment was just good old-fashioned kidding around which we Americans love to do to each other when an opportunity presents itself. I have read several different opinions regarding shroud line and ratline construction. I chose on purpose to use a right lay rope pattern for all my rope and the 'tail' or what I call the dead end of the shroud line always to the left from a reference point of standing on the whale looking into the ship.

Hi Daniel great job with the ratlines your Vasa Is looking fantastic. I wish I could keep my work area as clean and tidy as yours, something I will try and work on with my next build.
Thank you for your kind words, Tony. My goodness I wish I could keep my little work area filled with all the awesome gadgets and jigs you have created.

Thank you very much Johan. It has occurred to me I will eventually need sails. The admiral doesn't sew (and I have never tried it) although we do have a machine, I will bet you I can sew in every direction (including fingers) but, a straight line required for sails! Perhaps the greatest challenge I will face yet.
I did make some sails myself. It took some time to get used to the equipment and an awful lot of patience, but in the end I've gotten myself some representative sails.
There are also a great number of tutorials on youtube, showing numerous approaches on how one can sew sails.

I did make some sails myself. It took some time to get used to the equipment and an awful lot of patience, but in the end I've gotten myself some representative sails.
There are also a great number of tutorials on youtube, showing numerous approaches on how one can sew sails.
You Tube, that is a great suggestion Johan. Your experience is a confidence builder for me.

Hi Daniel, I was just sitting here with my ipad and ended up going back through your entire log from the beginning. This whole build is truly wonderful. Your attention to detail and ability to capture those details is inspiring (as is your willingness to go back and fix things). Unlike my version which looks more like something that sits on a shelf - yours looks like an actual 17th century ship. Congratulations for all that you have accomplished thus far. I'm looking forward to looking over your shoulder as your journey continues.

Hi Daniel, I was just sitting here with my ipad and ended up going back through your entire log from the beginning. This whole build is truly wonderful. Your attention to detail and ability to capture those details is inspiring (as is your willingness to go back and fix things). Unlike my version which looks more like something that sits on a shelf - yours looks like an actual 17th century ship. Congratulations for all that you have accomplished thus far. I'm looking forward to looking over your shoulder as your journey continues.
Wow Paul, thank you for your very high compliment. Your ship is certainly the standard on this forum for Vasa builds and I am truly humbled by your comments. I have a dozen bookmarks from various stages of your build that have been so very helpful to me. It's hard to imagine what I would come up with in my builds without this awesome model shipbuilding site and all its wonderful people and resources.

Ditto Danny!

Good Saturday afternoon to everyone.
I am excited to share a rigging milestone on the mighty Vasa. The following photos show my version of the completed standing rigging. I chose the foremast and main mast 'backstays to originate at the underside of their respective topsail mast tops then traveling as a pendant down about even with the fore and main mast tops (one each side). From there they travel down to a single block hooked to their respective whale plates then terminate inside the bulwarks. This termination not yet a permanent location just yet (need to see what running rigging will be like first). At this time, I am omitting any mizzen backstays.

IMG_1981.jpgIMG_1982.jpg

Next you will see a production of the bow sprit mast backstay with the crow's feet. Most every rendition of these crow feet will show a minimum of 18 tie down points on the foremast stay. Mine only shows 12 tie downs as that is the billings interpretation (I know that is considered incorrect) which I am grateful for.
This particular back stay system sure seems like overkill as do the crow footed halyards. I'm sure the designers of this magnificent ship had proven sound
reasons.

IMG_1966.jpgIMG_1967.jpgIMG_1970.jpgIMG_1973.jpgIMG_1975.jpg

Well, next comes the sails and the running rigging. I've been to the fabric store getting sewing supplies (talk about being a fish out of water) and getting ready for this.
I sure thank you all for stopping by and as always Happy Modeling.

Back