VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Good morning Daniel. Looking spot on this far! Your post confirmed my decision not to do sails...;). I’m following you and Paul closely with your sail making exploits as I know one Day I will have to do some. I will sit back, watch and learn from you once again. Cheers Grant
Thank you, Grant. Making sails like making rope are just part of the model building experience for me. You are a very talented man and I hope you do venture into some of the 'off the beaten path' aspects so to speak of modeling.

Hi Daniel. Finally, it's weekend and I can have a proper browse. Your sails look fantastic - period. Between you and @PeterG and @dockattner, I have to take my hat off to all our VASA builders. You guys are setting new standards when it comes to complexity and detail - well done!
Thank you so much Heinrich. To be mentioned along with the other super star modelers of the mighty Vasa is truly a humbling complement.

Very nice work on the sails Daniel.Apologies for being far too late to the party with this but going back over 35 years when my mother got the job of sewing the sails for my first wooden model,Billings Mary Ann Trawler,She pinned the paper template to the material and sewed the vertical sticking through both paper and cloth.This was mentioned in the instructions at the time.
When sewn, the sails puckered but when the paper was carefully torn away, the puckering disappeared, as the removal over the paper's thickness released the tension in the stitching.Then the material folded and the perimeter sticking done.A light staining in tea and the two sails were the best part of the model, the rest was well erm not that great....

Kind Regards

Nigel

Very nice work on the sails Daniel.Apologies for being far too late to the party with this but going back over 35 years when my mother got the job of sewing the sails for my first wooden model,Billings Mary Ann Trawler,She pinned the paper template to the material and sewed the vertical sticking through both paper and cloth.This was mentioned in the instructions at the time.
When sewn, the sails puckered but when the paper was carefully torn away, the puckering disappeared, as the removal over the paper's thickness released the tension in the stitching.Then the material folded and the perimeter sticking done.A light staining in tea and the two sails were the best part of the model, the rest was well erm not that great....

Kind Regards

Nigel
Thank you, Nigel, what you just described is amazing and makes perfect sense.

Good morning Daniel. Looking spot on this far! Your post confirmed my decision not to do sails...;). I’m following you and Paul closely with your sail making exploits as I know one Day I will have to do some. I will sit back, watch and learn from you once again. Cheers Grant
GrantTyler, you only learn by doing. How about you try your hand at a practice topgallant sail. WHEN you impress yourself with how well it turned out, make more sails, moving down each mast, until you have them all. If the main course sails are furled, you won’t hide the deck details of the model. If I can make sails on my first ship, then you can too, and mine turned out ok. You can use my build log to make your own, or watch how other members like Paul make theirs. Adding sails will add more lines like sheets and leech and buntlines, but that makes you model even more impressive. Do not fear sailmaking. Choose a method others use which appeals to you and try one.

GrantTyler, you only learn by doing. How about you try your hand at a practice topgallant sail. WHEN you impress yourself with how well it turned out, make more sails, moving down each mast, until you have them all. If the main course sails are furled, you won’t hide the deck details of the model. If I can make sails on my first ship, then you can too, and mine turned out ok. You can use my build log to make your own, or watch how other members like Paul make theirs. Adding sails will add more lines like sheets and leech and buntlines, but that makes you model even more impressive. Do not fear sailmaking. Choose a method others use which appeals to you and try one.
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me (your siren) your ears... ROTF.

Kurt once posted something along the lines of: a ship without sails is like a bull without a.... (my apologies if I didn't get your stately quote exactly right Kurt - but I believe I've captured the sense of it ROTF).

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me (your siren) your ears... ROTF.

Kurt once posted something along the lines of: a ship without sails is like a bull without a.... (my apologies if I didn't get your stately quote exactly right Kurt - but I believe I've captured the sense of it ROTF).
That will leave you in predicament with both Blandford and Kingfisher. ;)

Good morning Daniel, Kurt, Paul, Johann....Daniel apologies for the small hijack of your log.

My late Dad once gave me advice of resisting Peer pressure. He was a very wise man.:D.

I do agree with Kurt and others how sails complete a model and I am in agreement here. One day sail making will attempted....“but not this day”. Reminds me of a movie and a trilogy of books.

Daniel I’m with Heinrich when he says the VASA guys are setting a standard here- brilliant work my friend.

Cheers Grant

Good morning Daniel, Kurt, Paul, Johann....Daniel apologies for the small hijack of your log.

My late Dad once gave me advice of resisting Peer pressure. He was a very wise man.:D.

I do agree with Kurt and others how sails complete a model and I am in agreement here. One day sail making will attempted....“but not this day”. Reminds me of a movie and a trilogy of books.

Daniel I’m with Heinrich when he says the VASA guys are setting a standard here- brilliant work my friend.

Cheers Grant
Thank you for your kind words, Grant. My first tall ship HMS Fly did not have sails either so I will enjoy your HMS Victory just the way you build it.

Cheers Grant
Just looked it up. HMS Victory had 37 possible sails. Just say NO! ROTF ROTF ROTF

Back