VASA 490 Build Log - Billing Boats, 1:75 [Completed Build]

Wow Daniel. Amazing progress! You have accomplished in two months what has taken me ten (sans the finish layer on the hull)!

And looking very nice as well. Your decking is superb! And the bulwark lining and 'box' at the waterway turned out very nice.

For the record, I found very little comfort in your new solution for working on the stern!!! :D

Wow Daniel. Amazing progress! You have accomplished in two months what has taken me ten (sans the finish layer on the hull)!

And looking very nice as well. Your decking is superb! And the bulwark lining and 'box' at the waterway turned out very nice.

For the record, I found very little comfort in your new solution for working on the stern!!! :D
Ok Paul, I'll switch to Charmin:) Thanks for the complement, I am going to the hull veneer next before any more deck rail etc. I'll be turning the boat over a lot and don't want to break any rail elements.

Good Monday morning to all.
I hope all you dads out there had a great fathers day. I've another interim update with a few pictures. The following shows the glue up of the bulwarks followed by inside planking with walnut veneer. I also removed the rest of the bulkhead extensions except the forward most set. The Billings kit has little "tips" sitting on top of the bulwarks plywood siding that represents where each rail post is supposed to go. I do not agree with the size or spacing on this so you may notice I have cut them off as well and will use a spacing more closely resembling the real ship.View attachment 240112 View attachment 240094View attachment 240095View attachment 240096View attachment 240097

I had a shock to my system when I realized I had set the forward section of the bulwarks 6-8mm too high! I realized it when I was cutting in the round gun ports in the walnut. I was way too far along to change it so if you look close you can see where I have lowered the fore most port. You will only see this on the port side.

View attachment 240126

The next shots show the box that runs along deck next to the bulwarks.
View attachment 240132
View attachment 240133

View attachment 240134
View attachment 240135

On my last update some had concerns about the method I was using to work on the ships stern.
Well while I was sitting in the reading room a great idea hit me to secure my ship from imminent disaster
while working on the stern, the beak fits perfectly :)
View attachment 240141

I thank you all for joining me on this tour.
As always Happy Modeling!
Dear Daniel
great progress, it's looks fantastic

Good Monday morning to all.
I hope all you dads out there had a great fathers day. I've another interim update with a few pictures. The following shows the glue up of the bulwarks followed by inside planking with walnut veneer. I also removed the rest of the bulkhead extensions except the forward most set. The Billings kit has little "tips" sitting on top of the bulwarks plywood siding that represents where each rail post is supposed to go. I do not agree with the size or spacing on this so you may notice I have cut them off as well and will use a spacing more closely resembling the real ship.View attachment 240112 View attachment 240094View attachment 240095View attachment 240096View attachment 240097

I had a shock to my system when I realized I had set the forward section of the bulwarks 6-8mm too high! I realized it when I was cutting in the round gun ports in the walnut. I was way too far along to change it so if you look close you can see where I have lowered the fore most port. You will only see this on the port side.

View attachment 240126

The next shots show the box that runs along deck next to the bulwarks.
View attachment 240132
View attachment 240133

View attachment 240134
View attachment 240135

On my last update some had concerns about the method I was using to work on the ships stern.
Well while I was sitting in the reading room a great idea hit me to secure my ship from imminent disaster
while working on the stern, the beak fits perfectly :)
View attachment 240141

I thank you all for joining me on this tour.
As always Happy Modeling!
Hi Daniel you've made a lot of good progress since I last saw your log, it's looking pretty impressive. Nice to see your improvisation, everything has another use around the shipyard.

Good morning everyone!
Have a update to my build regarding the Vasa's gallery's. Man these little dudes have been kicking my butt, however I think I'm finally on the right track.
Since I'm adding the walnut veneer it occurred to me I needed to set the galleries in place so I would know where to start/stop the veneer. I used the dihedral angles called out in the plans as a starting point and sanded, cut. sanded, cut, sanded....... till I had a fairly good fit. As @PeterG noted in his log there is not much clearance especially at the lower rear gallery head where angle and clearance are critical. Pictured is three days worth of fitting and I'm not even half way done with them. I gave the gallery ledges a white primer and will also give the planking a white primer prior to the red final coats.IMG_1062.jpgIMG_1064.jpgIMG_1065.jpgIMG_1066.jpgIMG_1068.jpgIMG_1069.jpgIMG_1070.jpg

Okay, I have next a sneak peek at my 'dichromatic approach' to the VASA's decoration package. I beg forgiveness to all the purist VASA artist out there but this pleases me quite well. Old gold will be the base color and will fill in with one or two more colors so as not to be completely monochromatic.

IMG_1071.jpg

Everyone have a safe and enjoyable 4th of July weekend.
As always Happy Modeling!!
Daniel

Good morning everyone!
Have a update to my build regarding the Vasa's gallery's. Man these little dudes have been kicking my butt, however I think I'm finally on the right track.
Since I'm adding the walnut veneer it occurred to me I needed to set the galleries in place so I would know where to start/stop the veneer. I used the dihedral angles called out in the plans as a starting point and sanded, cut. sanded, cut, sanded....... till I had a fairly good fit. As @PeterG noted in his log there is not much clearance especially at the lower rear gallery head where angle and clearance are critical. Pictured is three days worth of fitting and I'm not even half way done with them. I gave the gallery ledges a white primer and will also give the planking a white primer prior to the red final coats.View attachment 241780View attachment 241781View attachment 241782View attachment 241783View attachment 241784View attachment 241785View attachment 241786

Okay, I have next a sneak peek at my 'dichromatic approach' to the VASA's decoration package. I beg forgiveness to all the purist VASA artist out there but this pleases me quite well. Old gold will be the base color and will fill in with one or two more colors so as not to be completely monochromatic.

View attachment 241787

Daniel
Great work Daniel! She moving along nicely!

Ahhh, I remember cutting the domes on the galleries with the angles and to provide clearance against the hull. There is really no way to get it exact - there is a lot of ‘cut a little bit, fit and see, cut some more’. Your domes look great Daniel.

Keep up the good progress. She is looking good.

PeterG

Very good and precise work, Daniel! Cut - fit, file - fit, sand - fit ... then, repeat ... the story of our modeling lives. :)

Ahhh, I remember cutting the domes on the galleries with the angles and to provide clearance against the hull. There is really no way to get it exact - there is a lot of ‘cut a little bit, fit and see, cut some more’. Your domes look great Daniel.

Keep up the good progress. She is looking good.

PeterG
Thank you Peter. I relied heavily on your build as a guide.

Very good and precise work, Daniel! Cut - fit, file - fit, sand - fit ... then, repeat ... the story of our modeling lives. :)
Thank you Heinrich. One of the challenges I often face is trying to determine a critical path. I'm imagine good old fashion experience is probably the best teacher, in the mean time it seems 'remove and replace' sometimes more than once on the same objects will be my motto. Thank goodness for this awesome forum and its wonderful people.
Daniel

Good morning everyone!
Since I'm adding the walnut veneer it occurred to me I needed to set the galleries in place so I would know where to start/stop the veneer. I used the dihedral angles called out in the plans as a starting point and sanded, cut. sanded, cut, sanded....... till I had a fairly good fit. As @PeterG noted in his log there is not much clearance especially at the lower rear gallery head where angle and clearance are critical. Pictured is three days worth of fitting and I'm not even half way done with them. I gave the gallery ledges a white primer and will also give the planking a white primer prior to the red final coats.View attachment 241780View attachment 241781View attachment 241782View attachment 241783View attachment 241784View attachment 241785View attachment 241786

View attachment 241787

Daniel
very Nice job Daniel, Your professional work processes create a beautiful model Thumbsup :)

Back