Vent Cowl

Hello All
After studying the original photos of pinnace Janet I observed that she have 2 nice vent cowls in the steam plant cabin
I found the shape I need
Anyone have a tutorial of making this from brass sheets?
Mine have unusual size and will be difficult to find online.
Many Thanks in advance
Sincerely yours Daniel

Hello Daniel,

That looks incredably neat but Im thinking you'll have to scratch that on a lathe from 3 pieces of brass each. Of course
I dont know the scale you're working in and brass sheet may just be best, but if its somewhat small Id think maching it
out from blocks would maybe be easier.

I just remembered one more possibility to fabricate these difficult to find brass parts which one guy was once using. Unfortunately I cannot find the original posting any more. But the story goes as follows:

Design first the part you need with a 3D software (for instance very nice software Fusion360 is free for us hobbyists). Have it printed with high quality 3D resin printer (Shapeways or equal), spray with conductive paint, have it electroplated with brass and finally polish it. The result is a beautiful polished brass part which cannot be separated from one made of real brass.

Thanks Moxis for the link
The scale is 1/15 and wanted to do the job for the steam plant
Proportionally from photo they are 2,5 cm high
Sincerely yours Daniel

Attachments

• 61470(1).png.jpg
    61470(1).png.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 15
Great link Moxis!
I found some vents that are near my shape and will see how to electroplated if is possible.
Daniel

It may be that brass plating of parts is somewhat difficult. But goldplating is much easier and does not cost very much more. And you will get the result which does not oxidice ever.

Back