Vertical belt sander question

This is my go-to tool for shaping wood. Lately it's been burning the wood. Could this be anything but a dull belt? It just seems a little soon to be changing the belt.

Attachments

• DSC04385.JPG
    DSC04385.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 34
Is hardwood a lot tougher on belts? I've had this sander for years and never had this problem before but I wasn't using much hardwood then.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Who am I ignoring?

Edit Thanks Steve For some reason I had you set to ignore. Have no idea why. I'm not ignoring you any more:) Anyway, I have been meaning to buy one of those sticks. I bought a cleaner for my orbital sander and it didn't seem to do much

Edit2 I ran the heel of an old gum boot against it and it helped quite a bit. Thanks

Last edited:
This is my go-to tool for shaping wood. Lately it's been burning the wood. Could this be anything but a dull belt? It just seems a little soon to be changing the belt.
If you can’t adjust the speed on your belt sander, just use a lighter pressure against the belt. Also get a sanding belt leaning erasure. Sawdust clogs the grit and decreases the ability to sand the wood. The erasers can be bought on Amazon or at Home Depot. Very inexpensive but worth having. 1628960936125.jpeg

I tried cleaning the belt with some success but it still burns a bit. Your comment about speed got my attention. This belt sander/ grinder combo runs at 3450 rpm. Probably a bit fast. I have a motor speed controller that I will try but I'm a little concerned that it may damage the motor. Anyone have any experience with these motor speed controllers. Mine is an "Elemental Dial a Speed". I got it at a pawn shop so I know nothing about it.

Hi Don,
I am not an expert in motor control.
For starters I am guessing that your motor is single phase without brushes in other words brushless. In my opinion that sort of motor needs fairly sophisticated control to vary the speed without losing too much torque, if all you do is lower the voltage to vary the speed there is a risk of overheating the motor.

These days there are fairly cost effective controllers available, but the first thing is what sort of motor are you trying to control?

Cheers,
Stephen.

I tried it and I can't control the speed. If I turn the controller way down the motor won't start. As I turn the controller up eventually the motor starts to turn but then if I stop turning it up it still gains speed until it's running flat out. There doesn't seem to be a part way. It's a single phase 120v, 60Hz motor. I may have to try and move the belt sander portion to a 1725 rpm motor.

My first thought is your belt speed is too fast, second is that grit is important, third pressure is also important. For shaping lumber I use a slow speed, moderate grit and light pressure. You can adjust the amount removed by changing any of the three either to increase rate of removal or to slow down and be more accurate.

having sanded thousands of linear feet of wood i found out

1 some wood will burn no matter what you do because of the resin and or oils in the wood

2 once a belt starts to burn the wood there is no hope for it, it will contunue to burn. Cause is a worn out belt

3 tried changing speeds of the motor and that did not seem to make any difference.

4 i noticed the grain on some woods will burn no matter what you do, like the grain around a knot.

5 sometimes it helps to turn the wood around and run it in the other direction

6 pushing the wood to hard against the belt will burn the wood.

here is an example of burns

top is a new 80 grit at the upper right is after some use and that can be cleaned and you can keep on using it

bottom example lower left is after a lot of use next up from the left the grit is getting dull and begins to clog beyond a cleaning and burn streaks begin to show up upper section once you get a burn like there the belt is done and should be replaced. You can clean the burn streaks but it will still keep on burning the wood

DSCN3662.jpg

My belt is 40 grit and looks like the top one. Still burns. I try and go light on the pressure. Maybe it is just the wood but I'm using Hazel and it doesn't seem at all resiny.

Back