Victory Bow section,Panart

This is a retrospective review as the building process can be reviewed at other blogs (eg Jeff-E). My motivations for this particular kit was that 1)to stimulate interest in a grandson, and 2) a easy "quicky" before starting a scratch build. When I started building boats, Panart was highly thought of, therefore I was surprised at the minimal level of instruction and plans. The quality and cut of the wood was satisfactory, but quantity barely adequate. The ropes were only beige. Most blocks were single, where double were needed. I have photos from my visit to Portsmouth, the Longridge book, plans and completed model of Corel's Victory , that I built 30 years ago. without these The build would have been very difficult indeed. Because of relation of scale to (patial) hull length, planking was technically difficult, even with limited bow fillers (not mentioned in plans). In my opinion it was important NOT to PERMANENTLY fix the decks , so that they could be removed after planking and then deal with detailing, guns, gun ports ,etc with full access, each deck at a time. The copper moulding is difficult- the corel had (? does it still have) moulding that was a composite wood dust and glue, that was heated and took any bend or curve and could be glued as wood. The plans make no mention of a notch that needs to be cut into the bow so as to fit the figure head. I cut the figure head into 7 pieces and reassembled them for greater accuracy. The rigging plan was totally inaccurate and incomprehensible. The finished product is more a caricature than a faithful representation. I'm sorry to sound so negative , but I realise that to do this justice, major kit bashing would be required. This was not my purpose. For a novice, this kit is technically challenging and he may be discouraged. More advanced builders, will be frustrated. The kit has the advantage of scale/size and relatively low cost. The subject matter is interesting and and has potential. The manufacturer , with a little effort, could have produced a much better product

IMG_20200811_175511.jpg

IMG_20200811_175521.jpg

IMG_20200811_175544 (1).jpg

IMG_20200811_175555.jpg

IMG_20200811_175620.jpg

IMG_20200811_175625_BURST7.jpg

IMG_20200811_175654.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks really good! I was wondering what you thought of the quality of the materials in the kit--was it an original Panart or Panart after they were acquired by Mantua Sergal?

Dear stuglo
I have been watching you for the last weeks and in recent months progressing in ship construction and completion.
you are doing amazing and very accurate job.
The result speaks for itself,
well done dear friend! :) Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Looks really good! I was wondering what you thought of the quality of the materials in the kit--was it an original Panart or Panart after they were acquired by Mantua Sergal?
I purchased it 2 years ago. I have Mantua group catalogues from 1984 and these include Panart. I have built their Amerigo 1250, r. Caroline, Lancia Armata,s.Lucia, Sovereign of the Seas. All good or very good in their ways. Therefore I was doubly disappointed. If the design and casting (but not instructions) were before this period, all the more shame on them.

I purchased it 2 years ago. I have Mantua group catalogues from 1984 and these include Panart. I have built their Amerigo 1250, r. Caroline, Lancia Armata,s.Lucia, Sovereign of the Seas. All good or very good in their ways. Therefore I was doubly disappointed. If the design and casting (but not instructions) were before this period, all the more shame on them.
Thanks! I didn't know the Panart/Mantua relationship went back that far. I've built the Mantua Victory and Soleil and am working on the Sovereign of the Seas, all vintage 80s kits (couldn't complain about price) but awful plans and fittings. I did the Panart San Felipe also 80s vintage and it was great in all respects. That's why I asked the question.

Back