Kit review Victory's (Amati) Pegasus 1:64 kit. Part 2

A review of the Swan-class sloop model, Pegasus, designed by Chris Watton and produced by Amati under their Victory brand.

Part 2.

The Rest.

There are six reels of black thread, seven reels of natural and four hanks, one black and three natural, including anchor hawse rope. None of the threads is identified by size, so a little detective work is required early on. The natural thread looks quite good, but the black is rather glossy – a pity.

1582430390414.jpeg

There is a metal casting of the ship’s boat plus wood and metal strips to complete it. The boat’s oars, anchors and boat hooks are brass PE items. I have assumed the two small PE anchors are for the boat, though I cannot find any mention of them anywhere in the instructions or on the plans.

1582430421142.jpeg

Four ship’s anchors are provided, unfortunately with single, rather than two piece stocks. The Amati packet actually describes these as "Spanish Anchors".

1582430455499.jpeg

There are cast metal, bronze coloured cannons. Unfortunately the trunnion runs right through the centre of the barrel rather than being lower, ie below the actual bore. A pity as the cannons otherwise look good. The smaller swivel guns are also bronze-coloured castings.

1582430520570.jpeg

The deadeyes are excellent with accurate holes. The blocks are neat enough but perhaps could have been a little more rounded instead of being quite so “blocky”.

1582430557724.jpeg

Then there are the bits and pieces for the ladders, gratings, stanchions and wooden cleats.

Finally, a cast resin figure of Pegasus himself! (He does look a bit odd in the photo).

1582430619991.jpeg

My conclusion.

Basically an excellent kit, let down somewhat by a few niggles. There is enough detail in this kit for it to become a museum-quality model, though the cannons, for instance, would probably have to be replaced. There is a lot of information out there on the Swan class to allow those who wish, to add further detail. Not for a beginner though.

Thankyou for taking the time to post a great review.I have not built this myself,but followed the builds of many others.I agree with a few tweeks,an exceptional model can be built from the kit.
The guns are a shame,these are the same as in the Amati Vanguard kit and generic parts bin stuff.Whilst it isn't a massive outlay to replace these on this model,on Vanguard it is considerable outlay to replace 74 cannons.

Kind Regards

Nigel

A review of the Swan-class sloop model, Pegasus, designed by Chris Watton and produced by Amati under their Victory brand.

Part 2.

The Rest.

There are six reels of black thread, seven reels of natural and four hanks, one black and three natural, including anchor hawse rope. None of the threads is identified by size, so a little detective work is required early on. The natural thread looks quite good, but the black is rather glossy – a pity.

View attachment 134481

There is a metal casting of the ship’s boat plus wood and metal strips to complete it. The boat’s oars, anchors and boat hooks are brass PE items. I have assumed the two small PE anchors are for the boat, though I cannot find any mention of them anywhere in the instructions or on the plans.

View attachment 134482

Four ship’s anchors are provided, unfortunately with single, rather than two piece stocks. The Amati packet actually describes these as "Spanish Anchors".

View attachment 134483

There are cast metal, bronze coloured cannons. Unfortunately the trunnion runs right through the centre of the barrel rather than being lower, ie below the actual bore. A pity as the cannons otherwise look good. The smaller swivel guns are also bronze-coloured castings.

View attachment 134484

The deadeyes are excellent with accurate holes. The blocks are neat enough but perhaps could have been a little more rounded instead of being quite so “blocky”.

View attachment 134485

Then there are the bits and pieces for the ladders, gratings, stanchions and wooden cleats.

Finally, a cast resin figure of Pegasus himself! (He does look a bit odd in the photo).

View attachment 134486

My conclusion.

Basically an excellent kit, let down somewhat by a few niggles. There is enough detail in this kit for it to become a museum-quality model, though the cannons, for instance, would probably have to be replaced. There is a lot of information out there on the Swan class to allow those who wish, to add further detail. Not for a beginner though.
Thank you for your evaluation on the Pegasus. I look forward to this build, as it is something I have been interested in. As for the cannons, where would you get replacements?

Back