Viking Longships Archeological Reconstructionand Sailing

There is a Viking ship museum in Roskilde, Denmark that has several large ships on display. In addition, there is a dockyard area where construction of various types of Viking ships using original techniques takes place. In the summer, they have sailings.View attachment 220510View attachment 220512View attachment 220514View attachment 220515View attachment 220517View attachment 220518View attachment 220520View attachment 220522View attachment 220523
Very interesting and informative additions to our resources for construction. Thanks, Rich

Very interesting and informative additions to our resources for construction. Thanks, Rich
You are welcome. My ancestry is from Sweden those Vikings went east and the Rus groups formed Russia while others went further east to Constantinople which the Norwegians and Danes somewhat went west. More farming and trading than raiding but they had to occasionally get rid of some overpowering testosterone. :) Reading the Norse Sagas of the Icelanders fill many nights and months of engrossing works. RIch

You are welcome. My ancestry is from Sweden those Vikings went east and the Rus groups formed Russia while others went further east to Constantinople which the Norwegians and Danes somewhat went west. More farming and trading than raiding but they had to occasionally get rid of some overpowering testosterone. :) Reading the Norse Sagas of the Icelanders fill many nights and months of engrossing works. RIch
Old Swede is a saying with us, appreciative. I know the history of the "Vikings" very well. Then you surely know the history and importance of Haithabu. It's not just a museum, but a first-class archaeological excavation site, important for the whole of the Baltic Sea. I was there again last year and looked at the longboat in the new museum again. The whole place, meanwhile rebuilt, has something magical about it.

1 IMG_1377.jpg IMG_1376.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG IMG_1373.JPG

Old Swede is a saying with us, appreciative. I know the history of the "Vikings" very well. Then you surely know the history and importance of Haithabu. It's not just a museum, but a first-class archaeological excavation site, important for the whole of the Baltic Sea. I was there again last year and looked at the longboat in the new museum again. The whole place, meanwhile rebuilt, has something magical about it.

View attachment 220876 View attachment 220877

View attachment 220878 View attachment 220879
I recalled the place but not the name. Thanks for the photos of the environs and particularly the over-turned boat. Rich

Many Many thanks to all for these additions - very interesting
Great this video with the sailing viking ship - good to get an impression, how these vikings sailed towards the unknown ......

Many Many thanks to all for these additions - very interesting
Great this video with the sailing viking ship - good to get an impression, how these vikings sailed towards the unknown ......
I glad to find and share as these insights bring life to our hobby. Rich

Rowing a true viking warship with 26 oars​

Normal rowing with 26 oars on Havhingsten (The Sea Stallion from Roskilde) seen from the top of the mast. The ship takes 50-60 men/woman to handle and is the world's largest viking ship reconstruction. The ship is 30 meters long and build form oak. The original ship (Skuldelev 2) was found in Roskilde fjord, Denmark. The ship is dated to have been built in year 1042 by (Danish?) vikings settled in Ireland. The ship does 3 knots when rowing and easily 8 knots when the sail is up. Havhingsten fra Glendalough is build at the Viking Museum in Roskilde, Denmark. Filmed 2th. week of the ships summer trip in 2016.

and

Draken in the North Sea storm​

Sometimes it is hard to imagine that this was just a couple of months ago. Draken and her crew have been through storms on the North Atlantic Ocean. What an achievement, sailing from Norway, to Shetland Islands, Faroe Islands, Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland - just like the Vikings did a 1000 years ago, and into the St Lawrence Seaway, trough the locks and into the Great Lakes. She made it, it is a real modern Viking voyage.

Rowing a true viking warship with 26 oars​

Normal rowing with 26 oars on Havhingsten (The Sea Stallion from Roskilde) seen from the top of the mast. The ship takes 50-60 men/woman to handle and is the world's largest viking ship reconstruction. The ship is 30 meters long and build form oak. The original ship (Skuldelev 2) was found in Roskilde fjord, Denmark. The ship is dated to have been built in year 1042 by (Danish?) vikings settled in Ireland. The ship does 3 knots when rowing and easily 8 knots when the sail is up. Havhingsten fra Glendalough is build at the Viking Museum in Roskilde, Denmark. Filmed 2th. week of the ships summer trip in 2016.

and

Draken in the North Sea storm​

Sometimes it is hard to imagine that this was just a couple of months ago. Draken and her crew have been through storms on the North Atlantic Ocean. What an achievement, sailing from Norway, to Shetland Islands, Faroe Islands, Iceland, Greenland, Newfoundland - just like the Vikings did a 1000 years ago, and into the St Lawrence Seaway, trough the locks and into the Great Lakes. She made it, it is a real modern Viking voyage.

These are a good addition to our Viking series as a way to get my regular workout. Rich

I had the privilege to see the Sea Stallion up close when I was in Dublin in 2000(?). The ship had made passage over the top of Britain and down the Irish Sea to Dublin. Sea Stallion had been hauled out and was on display in the drill yard at Collins Barracks one of the National Museum of Ireland's sites. My Baltic ancestors talked to me through that ship. I hope to get to Denmark some day and sail on Havhingsten or one of the other ships that have been constructed at Roskilde.

I had the privilege to see the Sea Stallion up close when I was in Dublin in 2000(?). The ship had made passage over the top of Britain and down the Irish Sea to Dublin. Sea Stallion had been hauled out and was on display in the drill yard at Collins Barracks one of the National Museum of Ireland's sites. My Baltic ancestors talked to me through that ship. I hope to get to Denmark some day and sail on Havhingsten or one of the other ships that have been constructed at Roskilde.
That is a rough ride down wind in the high seas and rolling hull. I am curious how this longship would do at it's best windward sailing in more calm conditions. There is a separate video of three small test hulls for comparison of windward efficiency but none those had the length/breadth ratio of this truly long vessel. Nice video additions for those of us who love this study area. Rich (PT-2)

I've been looking for my copy of National Geographic that carries a story about the Sea Stallion of Dublin. The writer was aboard when the ship sailed from Dublin to the southwest coast of Britain. It's quite an interesting story and gives some insight into what it must have been like for our Nordic ancestors.

Bonjour, c'est magnifique de continuer à construire dans la tradition navale ces navires qui ont prouvés leur efficacité pour la navigation. C'est aussi pour moi un plaisir (modeste), d'en faire des modèles en plus petit

Hello, it's wonderful to continue to build in the naval tradition these ships which have proven their efficiency for navigation. It is also a (modest) pleasure for me to make smaller models of them.

This explanation of the technology of design/construction may be redundant to a prior one but continues the thread.
Rich

20161018_171934.jpg

20161018_172211.jpg

20180307_130248.jpg

0bb7eb158fe9t.jpg

20161020_092456.jpg

20161020_100238.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Quelques photos de mon dernier voyage en Norvège....au détour de promenades, quelques vieilles constructions d'embarcations traditionnelles dans un décor magnifique sur les bords de fjords de Norvège

Some photos from my last trip to Norway....at the bend of walks, some old traditional boat constructions in a magnificent setting on the edges of the fjords of Norway

Amitiés

Francis

20220904_135202~2.jpg

20220904_135151~2.jpg

20220904_122600.jpg

20220904_134910.jpg

20221212_133944.jpg

20220909_104134.jpg

20220908_150314.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back