Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati 1:50 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Cheers all just read these ,been in dry dock after a big birthday with the admiral now on to the drakker .i can see why on the plans to cut the strips to make them fit better I only put on 1 strip per day with white glue and let it set.great little ship and pretty involved .the little oars might be next to start on also pretty involved as you just get the paddle and then you have to shape each model
All good cheers snowy 20200328_125212.jpg20200328_122923.jpg20200328_122914.jpg

Looking good so far

Because you glued the deck, now you have to use nails instead of clamps. Personally I don't like nails because they eave a hole sometimes not easy to disguise.

Regards

JL

Hi all
First of all thanks dicas great photos I would love to have seen that.
I have just about finished the planking which I'll show tomorrow so in the meantime I thought I would paint the sheilds just about finished maybe some black around a few more of the edges
Cheers snowy 20200410_132808.jpg

Hi
New to forum
Just bought the Amati Drakkar
What type of stand are you to use
as the kit hasn't supplied one
Regards Russell

Hi Russell I'm not there yet but I was thinking a nice base stains and a couple of pedestal cheers snowy

Hi again 1 thing I did notice when I did the oar holes it shows this where the outside timber will be for the sheilds
But the measurements don't work out
All good I'll just add more uprights so the sheilds look the same distance apart cheers snowy

Hi Snowy
just a long shot for help - started building the Viking boat "Oseberg" (Billing boats) several years ago but only got as far as the main frame/ribs and had to stop. The kit was packed up along with other boats that had not been finished (had to work for my living in those days), now having completed 'Lancia Armata', and on the final stages of 'Bluenose ll' and have just unpacked the box containing the Oseberg, but to my horror all the part that I had built - the keel and ribs, are missing. I must have put them in another box which was since gone AWOL in two house moves we have had over the last several years.

Just came across your log about the Drakka - different scale, make and boat but the hull looks similar shape and I see on your plan (Fig.9) you have the drawing for the ribs which is not on the Oseberg plans. Interesting how the two companies differ in their build method. My deck is fully singly planked although the side planking is not unlike the your model. I suppose the design and build is different enough so stop copyright claims!

It is a long shot but if you could copy and send me that section of your plan as a starting point and I might just be able to redesign and re-cut from 4mm ply and continue to finish my Viking boat as it would be a pity to ditch the rest of the kit??

looking forward to see your finished model.

many thank
regards
JohnK

@JonhK . Well I can scan it and send it by email (in sections, my scanner is A4) in case you are interested. Just state what you want exactly.

Regards

JL

Hi all
Just a short update
I built the tiller and handle which took a few hours of cutting and sanding but a good little contract.
I also put on all the cleats .
Now it will be time to fit the rudder and make about 28 oars
Cheers snowy 20200428_111307.jpg20200428_111300.jpg20200428_111239.jpg

Back