Visiting a Galleon

I have just returned from Denia, a very old Spanish port on the "Costa Blanca" on the Mediterranean coast, where the "The Galleon, Andalusia", a 15c replica of "Generic" Spanish merchant Galleon was visiting. Building started in around 2006/7 and finally finished in 2011, it has since sailed around the world, so many of you might well have seen it and been on board yourselves. I am truly in awe of those early sailors who crossed the oceans in such boats, and even todays sailors who still sail her, all be it with some help of modern day equipment.
There are however some questions that I wanted to be answered but unfortunately the staff on duty on the day of my visit could not answer. Perhaps some of you might know the answers.
1. As you can see from my photos there are vertical ribs on the outside of the hull, but on all the model Spanish boats I have seen hardly any if at all are constructed this way. Has this been done to strengthen this replica galleon or was it a particular design of the type and period in the 15/16c?
2. On several of the posts, as can be seen in my photos, the ropes go through the pillars on metal pullies and are then tied directly around the top of the post, not a Belay pin in sight!!
3. A lot of leather is used on this replica boat to cover the tops of posts or part of rails, was this a common practice on wood boats?
Whilst I appreciate that to slot posts and fit them with metal pullies as well as make leather caps on model boat is not practical or possible for many of us, I am interested in the answers.

Gal1.jpg

Gal2.jpg

Gal3.jpg

Gal3a.jpg

Gal4.jpg

Gal4a.jpg

Hi John
I have just seen your post and understand this is a replica of a ship of about 1500
The outside ribs as you call them were known as riders or fenders. They were typical of that time and served two purposes. To strengthen the sides against the pull of the rigging (shrouds) and to prevent damage contact against other ships or quayside.
Belaying pins were introduced sometime around mid 16th century I believe and before that the rigging was ´belayed´ to either cleats and kevels, but mostly to the ships raíl
I cannot help on the third question, sorry

Yes on the third question…leather was a common material for protecting edges from wear and tear especially against the rub of rigging ropes, and it was used to protect surfaces from sea water weathering. Leather was more readily available in early 1500s than metals. As furniture dressing progressed the use of such materials faded away as being unnecessary and the leather itself weathered away faster then the wood it was try8ng to protect. These photos are great as I am completing the hull/deck furniture on the HMS Revenge 1577. I will try to use some of the detailing on the Revenge. Thanks for the timely post!

I visited this ship, and made it a short one, because it was not historically interesting in my (modest) opinion.
If you were in Denia, you probably visited their museum on the seafront, where there are a few models, among which 2 well built galleons. I don't remember having seen this replica (I was in Denia on 4 occasions in 2021 and 2022), but I do not think I would have cared to pay it a visit. As a matter of fact, there surely were many historically justified features, but overall... The gross ship wheel, for instance: definitely not on a 16th century ship. Also the square mast top: not before the 18th century, I am afraid. But overall, quite a spectacular exhibit.

Thanks to those who have answered my questions. We have an apartment in Denia which we visit quite often, and the contrast of seeing this replica with all the "super" yachts which visit on a regular basis, was quite remarkable. Where as one can only look at the super yachts from the quayside, on the other hand, "The Galleon, Andalusia" one could clamber all over the decks and cabins, which in it self was great fun. From what I understand, the ship is a replica, and designed from the amalgamation of several ship plans of the time, by a committee of modern shipbuilders and engineers - so perhaps a bit like the camel - which also was designed by committee I believe, or so the story goes?!
The museum, which is on the quayside where all the current fishing boats moor, was the original fish market hall and opened just before the CV 19 lockdown, it houses a large collection of scratch build model boats of varying dates and nationalities, most constructed by one builder, Antonio Simó Ayza, who donated to the City of Dénia the collection of 49 nautical models, made by himself throughout his life.
Also a potted history of Denia as a fishing port since the Roman times, with lots of relics of bits of old boats, metal and pottery objects which have been found in the harbor. Well worth a visit.

DM 1.jpg

DM 2.jpg

DM 3.jpg

I have just returned from Denia, a very old Spanish port on the "Costa Blanca" on the Mediterranean coast, where the "The Galleon, Andalusia", a 15c replica of "Generic" Spanish merchant Galleon was visiting. Building started in around 2006/7 and finally finished in 2011, it has since sailed around the world, so many of you might well have seen it and been on board yourselves. I am truly in awe of those early sailors who crossed the oceans in such boats, and even todays sailors who still sail her, all be it with some help of modern day equipment.
There are however some questions that I wanted to be answered but unfortunately the staff on duty on the day of my visit could not answer. Perhaps some of you might know the answers.
1. As you can see from my photos there are vertical ribs on the outside of the hull, but on all the model Spanish boats I have seen hardly any if at all are constructed this way. Has this been done to strengthen this replica galleon or was it a particular design of the type and period in the 15/16c?
2. On several of the posts, as can be seen in my photos, the ropes go through the pillars on metal pullies and are then tied directly around the top of the post, not a Belay pin in sight!!
3. A lot of leather is used on this replica boat to cover the tops of posts or part of rails, was this a common practice on wood boats?
Whilst I appreciate that to slot posts and fit them with metal pullies as well as make leather caps on model boat is not practical or possible for many of us, I am interested in the answers.
Hallo @JohnK
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thanks for your greeting. I have just bought myself (a total indulgence) the ZHL Black Pearl for my birthday present (3 pole version) looks very exiting and complex, just hope I live long enough to compleat it.
JK

Some additional thoughts about leather. It was used extensively at friction points (leathers on oars, on tholes, on small craft rotating masts, and where spars crossed). It was also used to keep water out or in (around rudder posts, as parts of pumps). In the case of the photo of the bitt in the original post, it looks like the leather is there to prevent rainwater from getting into the end grain (top) of the bitt and thus prevent rot. Lead and copper and now aluminum have also been used for that purpose. If given occasional applications of tallow, leather will last a long time. And when it wears out, it's easy to replace. Photo shows leather on the oars and mast of my Sea Bright skiff.
Fair winds!

oars.jpghannah mast.jpg

Back