VOC ship The Prins Willem (scale 1:75) Year 1651

At this moment I'm working on the main mast. Same platform. But it's difficult to work on a ship you didn't start the build. A lot of parts I work with at this moment I didn't manufacture but were already done by the first builder Jan. I can't tell if it are the years ago he manufacture these or they're simple not accurately. I need to adjust a lot, wood don't stay straight over time. I keep it this way and try to make the best out of it. After 15 years it is time this ship to be ready.

At this moment I'm working on the main mast. Same platform. But it's difficult to work on a ship you didn't start the build. A lot of parts I work with at this moment I didn't manufacture but were already done by the first builder Jan. I can't tell if it are the years ago he manufacture these or they're simple not accurately. I need to adjust a lot, wood don't stay straight over time. I keep it this way and try to make the best out of it. After 15 years it is time this ship to be ready.
Little by little, no rush...as you said. But in 15 years, you can build three or more scratch-build models. ;)

Happy New Year to everybody!! ExplosionBottle

And no better way to start the New year then with an update.
Spritmast
IMG_4018.JPG

Fore toppenant
IMG_4019.JPG
IMG_4020.JPG

Main toppenant
IMG_4021.JPG
IMG_4022.JPG
IMG_4023.JPG

Mizzen
IMG_4025.JPG

almost done with the standing rigging. When it is done I go further with the 2 decker. So I have a time to think about the sails.
Thanks for the visit.

Happy New Year to everybody!! ExplosionBottle

And no better way to start the New year then with an update.
Spritmast
View attachment 418090

Fore toppenant
View attachment 418091
View attachment 418092

Main toppenant
View attachment 418093
View attachment 418094
View attachment 418095

Mizzen
View attachment 418096

almost done with the standing rigging. When it is done I go further with the 2 decker. So I have a time to think about the sails.
Thanks for the visit.
I nice New-Years up-date, Stephan. Up to all the tops and the end of the standings rigging.
Regards, Peter

Very happy with your update, that means your fingers are as functional as they can be!! Great news and Happy New Year, even if you don't like the new ship on our front page! :p c'est la vie, mon ami

Ken, Peter and Jim thanks for the best wishes and visit.
And yes Peter, standing rigging comes to an end. And I know now why they call it standing rigging. You have to stand up to reach the last parts.
LOL Jim, just have to get use to it. Maybe in 11 months I like it.

something off topic, maybe something for an admin.
There is something wrong with the webside. Even in my log there was an indication that there where post who where unread. And the last post was from me.???

Naamloos.jpg
Above one is the most strange, I posted the log, nobody put in a reaction and it is unread in my page???

And when I jump in a log to new, I go to around 25-12 even if the post are already seen and liked by me. Strange
So I have to look to al the followed post I missed after this update. And hoping everything will be normal again.

Back to my log, small update, of course a lot of work. After sorting the big amount of parts that I have achieved I started to work on the standing rigging. The last shrouds and stays are installed. Next are the backstays of these three last masts.

The pictures

IMG_4072.JPGIMG_4074.JPGIMG_4076.JPGIMG_4077.JPGIMG_4078.JPGIMG_4080.JPGIMG_4083.JPGIMG_4085.JPGIMG_4086.JPG

And sometime things go wrong, a redo on a stay after I make the eye to short to the mouse.

IMG_4088.JPG

Thanks for watching

Last edited:
Hi Stephan,

Missed your updates somehow. :)

I envy your motivation to finish a model which was started by somebody else. It is difficult to build it as you work with somebody else his creation and it wasn't your first choice.
I stil have a partly build Victory of Sergal which I got over 30 years ago from somebody who didn't finish it. I have build on it but you allways continue on some ones else project.
So Thumbsup for you finishing this ship and the result is very rewarding.

Hi Stephan,

Missed your updates somehow. :)

I envy your motivation to finish a model which was started by somebody else. It is difficult to build it as you work with somebody else his creation and it wasn't your first choice.
I stil have a partly build Victory of Sergal which I got over 30 years ago from somebody who didn't finish it. I have build on it but you allways continue on some ones else project.
So Thumbsup for you finishing this ship and the result is very rewarding.
I agree with you, difficult, even because Jan is still following the progress sometimes on modelbouwforum. I heard a long time nothing from him. Hope that he is still among us. I will check that out. But yes, difficult. I changed a lot of already done work by Jan and there he wasn't happy with, but he accepted because we never made an agree about how or what. Just build the ship if it was yours where his words. For me it is also a practise object, to find out how 17th century Dutch ships where rigged.

And about missing updates, yes Here the same problem. There is also a lot changed about the site, you can't see anymore who wat het your log, or who is online. Maybe a problem for @zoly99sask to fix.

I agree with you, difficult, even because Jan is still following the progress sometimes on modelbouwforum. I heard a long time nothing from him. Hope that he is still among us. I will check that out. But yes, difficult. I changed a lot of already done work by Jan and there he wasn't happy with, but he accepted because we never made an agree about how or what. Just build the ship if it was yours where his words. For me it is also a practise object, to find out how 17th century Dutch ships where rigged.

And about missing updates, yes Here the same problem. There is also a lot changed about the site, you can't see anymore who wat het your log, or who is online. Maybe a problem for @zoly99sask to fix.
Hi Stephan ,we can’t really fix it ,the add on stopped working and started causing server issues so we had to remove it ,and the developer stopped supporting this software ,meaning no updates unfortunately.We installed s different one but that is not exactly the same.

Hi Stephan ,we can’t really fix it ,the add on stopped working and started causing server issues so we had to remove it ,and the developer stopped supporting this software ,meaning no updates unfortunately.We installed s different one but that is not exactly the same.
No problem Zoly, I think that we are spoiled, because it always works perfect. Maybe try the old logo? :cool:

@all thanks for the visit, likes, jokes and comments. I love this and helps to go on.
Standing rigging came to an end and finally I can say job done. Sails, spars and running rigging is next. First I have to write an article for the modelbouwer and then we go on with the HZ model. See you back here over a while.
Enjoy the pictures
IMG_4108.JPGIMG_4109.JPGIMG_4110.JPGIMG_4111.JPGIMG_4112.JPGIMG_4113.JPGIMG_4114.JPGIMG_4116.JPGIMG_4117.JPGIMG_4118.JPGIMG_4119.JPGIMG_4120.JPGIMG_4121.JPGIMG_4122.JPG

Back