VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Heinrich I am very interested in the Nicolaas Witsen shipbuilding in the dutch golden age , worth buying? as the book is not cheap, what is your thought Rob

Hi Robert,
There is an alternative if Nicolaas Witsen's book is out of your league so to say.
The builder of the replica Batavia "Willem Vos" has his work written down in a book and it describes very detailed the construction of an East Indiamen like Batavia. It will explain a lot of the ship you are building.
Every step of the build is described. I have the book and I love it. It's affordable (40 EURO or 43 USD) but so far I know only available and written in Dutch.
You can use a translation app to translate the tekst, but it's a lot of work.

de-bouw-van-een-oost-indievaarder.jpg

@Heinrich, sorry for going off-topic a bit.

regards,
Peter

Hi Robert,
There is an alternative if Nicolaas Witsen's book is out of your league so to say.
The builder of the replica Batavia "Willem Vos" has his work written down in a book and it describes very detailed the construction of an East Indiamen like Batavia. It will explain a lot of the ship you are building.
Every step of the build is described. I have the book and I love it. It's affordable (40 EURO or 43 USD) but so far I know only available and written in Dutch.
You can use a translation app to translate the tekst, but it's a lot of work.

de-bouw-van-een-oost-indievaarder.jpg

@Heinrich, sorry for going off-topic a bit.

regards,
Peter
Thanks Peter , I can read Dutch , must admit it is getting a bit rusty but nevertheless the book you mentioned is worth a thought , must admit that I follow the Batavia instructions (Kolderstok) in English , more familiar with the terms used , the after effects of not speaking Dutch LOL, , don’t get me wrong I will always be a Dutchie no matter what and My Peasoup ( Snert) a favourite here as well as my Rijsttafel and totally addicted to Drop!!

Back