VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

@zoly99sask Thank you Zoly. I will most certainly take another look. I do follow the Ontario's build and remain amazed at all the scratch builders out there.

Hello All

In my available time, planking continues ...

Build 289.jpg

The last two planks on port-and starboard sides were laid down on the existing building board-format, before it became time to alter the board.

Build 290.jpg

The aluminium clamps were removed and replaced with the Kolderstok-supplied one. NOTE: This is not the Kolderstok stand on which the ship will finally be mounted. That is an altogether different kettle of fish ... but ... only to be enjoyed much later ...

20190620_084847.jpg

My Seaducer's custom stand proved ideal to flip over the Batavia and commence the planking from the keel.

mmexport1535527046350.jpg

Inbetween, the fully-restored 1935 Bowman Swallow steamboat also received attention as she was readied for an activity on model shipbuilding that I have this weekend with my students.

20190909_211714.jpg

And this is where we are with the Haarlem.

WeChat Image_20200610092854.jpg

There is light at the end of the planking tunnel ...

WeChat Image_20200609073452.jpg

Close-up of the bow.

Thank you for all watching and following - comments and criticisms are appreciated.

Kind regards - Heinrich

@Pathfinder65 Thank you very much, Jan. There is, however, still a ton of work to do on that hull. The other two boats are an R/C Seaducer .91 Mono F Class which was built by US No 1, Jerry Crowther for me. It is powered by a .91 NovaRossi and controlled by a Hi-Tec 4-channel radio. The Bowman is the Swallow - the smallest in the range - which I got in OK shape (everything was complete) - and then subsequently restored. There are still another two - one of which is incredibly rare and valuable (circa 1900) - but that is a story for another day. :D

:) One of my "High Tech" toys from the the late '50's. Cox .049 glow plug engine with a pull start. It was tethered with a 15 foot cable and madly whipped around in a circle until it ran out of fuel.

7E1D9B11-13EA-4E17-9DCD-0AD3405B52D5.jpeg0195F90B-FB96-43CD-B686-0A521B2008A9.jpeg

No fancy R/C involved. I wore out quite a few wheel sets.

Jan

Now that is most interesting as tethered hydroplane racing was/is still being practised in the UK today. That is why I would love to build one of those old hydroplanes with the Stuart Turner Sun steam engine.

Two other beautiful projects Heinrich, see you are a multi talented boat builder.
Good to see some steam hobby, I was raised with building live steam locomotives in scale 0. My father is still building these and is even selling his own coal fired live steam locomotive into the market.

@Maarten Thank you Maarten. You must post some pics of the locomotive - I would love to see that ! I really enjoyed working on the Bowman, but nothing compares to the scale shipbuilding challenge . :D

@Maarten Maarten thank you so much - but the problem is that I can't access the site. It is one of those that requires VPN :oops:

Back