VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

@Dematosdg Thank you for the kind words Daniel. Bluenose is a brand new POF kit launched by a new Chinese Model Company, YuanQing. I have offered to translate the instructions in English and with the help of a lot of friends we have also cleared all copyright and licensing issues with the Bluenose Company. If all goes well, I will receive a kit tomorrow so that I can do a kit review of her. Obviously I will build her, but the big question is when ... :D There is still a lot of work that needs to be done to ensure a successful launch of the kit in the West.

@Dean62 Thank you my friend - your kind words are very much appreciated. The detail is what takes the time, but well worth it. The secret is just not to rush anything - or, at least that is what I tell myself! :)

I a
@Dematosdg Thank you for the kind words Daniel. Bluenose is a brand new POF kit launched by a new Chinese Model Company, YuanQing. I have offered to translate the instructions in English and with the help of a lot of friends we have also cleared all copyright and licensing issues with the Bluenose Company. If all goes well, I will receive a kit tomorrow so that I can do a kit review of her. Obviously I will build her, but the big question is when ... :D There is still a lot of work that needs to be done to ensure a successful launch of the kit in the West.

I am starting to love these POF Chinese ships. Is there any online site we can go to take a look ?

Is this one by any chance?

Cheers
Daniel

Hello my Dear Friends

It seems that whenever I plan to work on the Haarlem, something crops up! :) I had just started work on the interior bracing of the bulwarks, when the Bluenose just sailed right into my life! With that taking up the lion's share of my time during the last week, there was precious little time to work on my #1 build - but nevertheless, I have made some small progress. I actually feel guilty about how small - but here goes.

View attachment 189633

View attachment 189634

Even though it doesn't look like much, it is quite a time-consuming job. Each of those little spars has to be very carefully measured, cut to size (I use an X-Acto knife for that) and then glued into just the right spot at just the right angle. Of course the railing now needs to go on top of that, but I think I will first do the other side.

I also finished the 6 cannon carriages just so that I can get some idea of placement and of how it looks. Before the time, I was absolutely sure that they need to go onto the main deck area or in the "kuil" (in Dutch), but now I am not so sure anymore. I also placed them on the forecastle deck as per @Pathfinder65 Jan's suggestion, and they look good there. So guys tell me what you think. The first picture is of the cannons on the main deck and the second one on the forecastle deck.

View attachment 189635

View attachment 189636

Hopefully I can start tomorrow on the bracing of the port side, but for now - that is all.

Your comments, thoughts and criticisms are - as always - hugely appreciated. Thank you all so much for looking and for following.

Kind regards -Heinrich
I'm glad to see you didn't put on your cannon carriage bases backwards like I did. I had already installed most of them, so there was no remedy.

Hello everyone!

I know this is a long time after my last update, but since Bluenose sailed into the Nantong Shipyard, there was not time for anything else.

However, between biting nails, answering messages, arranging photoshoots, drinking coffee, smoking too much and getting little sleep, I DID manage to find some time for the Haarlem. With everything leading up to the installation of the six cannons on the deck, bracing the inner bulwarks continued. So, here are a few before and after pictures:

微信图片_20201119162601.jpg

These two pictures (above and below) of the port side inner bulwarks shows the status before work has commenced.

微信图片_20201119162731.jpg

In my previous posting I showed how the inner braces are installed, but then it was time for the top railing - eighty-seven little spars that had to be cut, and placed in exactly the right position at the right angle. The number of times I attached them, then removed them and re-attached them, is countless. Anyway, here goes!

微信图片_20201119162546.jpg

What looks like white marks is in actual fact the light reflecting on wet paint!

微信图片_20201119164712.jpg

微信图片_20201119162633.jpg

微信图片_20201119162553.jpg

And the exterior view of the starboard-side looks like that. The paintwork is just as an indication of the colour scheme and effect and the yellow lines still need to be drawn in accurately.

Moving to the forecastle this is what the unfinished starboard side looks like from the inside.

微信图片_20201119162607.jpg

微信图片_20201119162536.jpg
The completed first level on the port side of the forecastle.

Now the top railing still needs to go on top of that and then it is ditto for the whole process on the reverse side!

That is all for now. Until next time my friends, take care and keep well and cherish every moment of your shipbuilding.

Heinrich

@DonRobinson Thank you for the kind words my friend. To be very honest, I am not sure I am happy. I am satisfied with the forecastle, and the rear part of the bulwarks towards the stern, but the part in the middle just doesn't seem right to me.

@Vfordyce Nooooooo. Don't joke - I have done that before. I think the problem is that I have seen too many completed Batavias with all the decorations applied - so now mine looks bare!

@Vfordyce Nooooooo. Don't joke - I have done that before. I think the problem is that I have seen too many completed Batavias with all the decorations applied - so now mine looks bare!
Hi Heinrich,

Maybe it’s time to put the little ship on the shelf, take a walk in the park, pop into the local pub and relax for a day and then look at everything again. :D:D:D

Jan

Last edited:
@Pathfinder65 Jan that is such good advice. I am happy with the Haarlem - I have found out what bothered me so that's OK! You will probably just shake your head in disbelief and mutter at my stupidity if you hear that I am busy putting together a proposal for YuanQing's next model!

@Pathfinder65 Jan that is such good advice. I am happy with the Haarlem - I have found out what bothered me so that's OK! You will probably just shake your head in disbelief and mutter at my stupidity if you hear that I am busy putting together a proposal for YuanQing's next model!
Hi Heinrich,

No, no it wouldn’t surprise me, your last effort was superb. is there a hint or will it be a surprise?

Jan

Back