Want a virtual tour through a 17th century Dutch ship?

At previous occasions on this and other forums I explained that real trustworthy information about the shape and construction of Dutch 17th century ships is scarce. (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/ships-watercraft/35441-17th-century-dutch-fluit-14.html, https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...h-fluit-and-making-mistakes.6183/#post-153834, https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26047-about-reconstructing-a-dutch-fluit-and-making-mistakes/ ) Now you have the chance to virtually walk through a ship of that era, of which both shape and construction are absolutely nonsense-proof.

The Amsterdam diplomat, lawyer, collector and lord-mayor of Amsterdam Nicolaes Witsen (1641-1717) was the first to write a book on the subject of Dutch shipbuilding, Aeloude en Hedendaegse Scheepsbouw en Bestier (Old and Modern Shipbuilding and Managing) 1671. To illustrate his story he described the building of an avarage ship of his days, an armed trader called a 'pinas'. Three masts, 134 feet long, 24 guns, sailed by a hundred man. It took me 6 years to process his data about the ship into working drawings and to build the model.

The knowledge I gained during the work opened the way for me to another career: head of the restoration department for navy models in the Rijksmuseum Amsterdam. In 2006, after having published about Witsen and his pinas I started to work the material around into 3D. I got help from a Belgian gentleman, called Rene Hendrickx, who proved to be an expert on the free downloadable shipbuilding program Delftship. Over three years we worked together to turn every single part of the ship Witsen mentioned into 3D shapes. In the end thousands of files formed together the unquestionable image of a 17th century average ship.

The Cultural Heritage Agency, part of the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science commissioned Tijdlab, a young firm that makes historical 3D representations, to use our results for a program that made the pinas accessible for the public on an internet site: https://witsenscheepsbouw.nl.

To say that it has grown into a heavy program is an understatement. It takes time to download the various parts. Therefore the (Microsoft)user gets the opportunity to download the entire program, both the Dutch and the English version, at once on to his own harddisk. That saves a lot of time if you want to access it more than once (which I warmly recommend). Mac users are for the time being convicted to use the online version, preferably through Chrome, which is just a little bit lower in quality, but still very worthwhile visiting.

After opening the site you get three choices:
  1. Interactively you can watch 14 stages of construction of the ship. This is especially useful to watch the shell-first building method that was applied in those days in Holland, in which the outside planks are placed before any frame part.
    Knipsel1.PNG
  2. Here you can 'walk' through the ship, using the w, a, s and d keys of your keyboard. In the next update you can ask the name of any part of the ship you see.
    Knipsel 3.JPG
  3. Those names can be looked up in the Encyclopedia, where the location of the part in the ship is shown, as well as all the data Witsen provided about that part in his book. Of course it can be viewed from close-by, moving and turning the part any way you want.
Knipsel (2).PNG
On a forum for ship modelers it would be an omission not to make available the construction plans of the ship, the only 17th century averege ship we know. There are also links to the online version of Witsen's book, together with another 17th century author about the subject, Cornelis van Yk with his book De Nederlandse Scheeps-bouw-konst open-gestelt (Dutch Shipbuilding Unveiled) from 1697.

Because this is the beta version (we hope to update very soon with more info presented within the program) we invite anyone who has remarks or questions to react and share his thoughts so we can serve the user even better.

Please have a look there!

Ab

Last edited:
This is a wonderful example of representing an accurate reconstruction of such a complex subject. All of us who have the privilege of reaping the rewards of Ab's 40 years' research and lifelong dedication to the subject should be deeply indebted to him. This is a mammoth task and one that could only have been undertaken by someone who is a true professional and scholar. Unbridled passion and love for the subject are givens. Thank you Ab!

It is taking some time to download - but it is worth every second to wait
This is realy highly interesting tool Thumbsup

Many Thanks to Ab for making this available to us

Dear Ab

I downloaded and installed.

After watching the construction stages of the ship I walked through in it. I used sloop and sailed. I climbed the masts. At last I fell into the sea from the bowsprits crowsnest and found myself on the quarter deck. ROTF

Many many thanks for sharing this awesome software.

Best Regards from Turkey

Bilal

1616699461194.png

Love it Ab, Very nice to walk through and look at all the details.
For the majority of the peop[le here this will be as close as they get to the real thing.

Good afternoon.

After dowload, I descompressed the rar and I tried to install in the computer but something has been wrong and I get two messaged that I don´t understand what is the meaning.

I attach the word doc with both notes as screenshots.

Should it be any especial system/capacity to run that program?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• message for SOS.docx
    204.9 KB · Views: 6
Hello Josu,
Thank you for trying to download the program. You seem to have problems and you are not the only one. It is indeed complicated and on top of that it is hard on a simple computer. We are preparing a short movie to explain the way to do it. Until then I will try to help you.
What I read from the message you uploaded, your computer seems not to be up to the demands of the program. At least you have to update your Nvidia driver.
In general I can say that if you have chosen to download the whole program, which I warmly recommend, you have first to find the folder 'WitsenShipbuilding' you downloaded. Mostly it is in the folder 'downloads', unless you instructed otherwise. What you find is a folder which after opening appears to contain four items. You have to click the lowest one (the exe.file), after which the program starts. Don't remove any of the items from the folder!
It is of no importance where you place the folder and if you want to get rid of it, you just place it into the wastepaper basket. Until then I hope you have enjoyed the program.
Stay in touch, we are working on updates to offer more detail.
Good luck.

Thanks a lot Ab.

I did exactly what you say.

What I didn´t do is to update Nvidia driver and I don´t know if it is strictly necesary. Anyway I will wait for that short movie.

Thank you again

I looked again at the message you received. Not the one of your video card driver, but the other one, about your computer not loading a COCKED content. I found this: https://gamingph.com/2018/05/how-to-run-and-fix-uncooked-version-error-in-pubg/
From what I understand of it, you did not install DirectX 11. Combined with a not updated video card you will never be able to run any game on your computer. You will have to fix this yourself, an explaining movie will not solve your problem.
Good luck!

Back