War pennants or commissioning pennants of the French Navy at the beginning of the 19th century

Hello friends,

Today I would like to ask the experts whether you have any knowledge of pennants of the French navy at the beginning of the 19th century?
For my French corvette La Créole 1827 I unfortunately have too little information about the length, width and attachment to the mast head. I have read that the Pennants were usually a considerable length, sometimes reaching half the length of the ship.
I would be very happy if you could give me information and picture examples.
034.jpg

Hallo Johann,

Interesting question.....
I have to check the publications I have from ancre, so f.e. the 4th book of the 74 gun ship by Jean Boudriot.....maybe I find something......

Hallo Johann
I have send you a PM, please check it out

@Uwek
Hello Uwe,
many thanks for your help.

In the meantime I found in a publication how big the flags and pennants were.
Here I show excerpts of this book - LE GRAS, M.A.: Album des pavillons, guidons, flammmes de toutes les puissances maritimes- Paris 1858 :
Flammes_de_guerre_tabelle.jpg
In the meantime, with the help of a fellow modeler, I was able to clarify what the column marked with a question mark means. This means the fabric web width, which was accordingly 50 cm. Thus, after correctly classifying the type of ship, the sizes of the flags and pennants can be determined.
Accordingly, the large pennant of La Creole was 16 m long and the width was 15 cm.

The pennant/tricolore was divided as follows:
Starting at the masthead 20% blue, 20% white and 60% of the length waving red.

Ver ygood news - I am looking forward to see your pennant .......

Back