Welcome new members Warm welcome 220 new members in our SOS forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the addition to the site. I’ve build a few models since I was a child though nothing too major until recently. I’m an officer in the Royal Australian Navy and previous to the navy I worked and sailed on tall ships around the world. I’ll start a thread on my current build shortly, a 1/72 Shipyard card model of the Mercury. I’ve also recently completed a trumpeter 1/200 Titanic, built basically out of the box with a few minor additions just to get me back into the hobby. I’ve also got an on again of again scratch built 1719 establishment 54 gun British warship, this isn’t of a particular ship as such but just based from plans of the general design.

View attachment 150667View attachment 150668View attachment 150666
and also
Morning everyone, thank you for the welcome!
It seems I am not the only one to return to long-neglected models in the current circumstances. I started a Mantua Models Astrolabe in 1990, then in 1991 real life got in the way and the project was shelved until a month ago when retirement and lockdown provided the ideal excuse to continue. How things have moved on in the meantime - the interweb for shopping/researching/crying for help, the online videos of how to do all the bits you puzzled about; how did I get anything made back then?
I have been inspired by Arthur's fantastic Astrolabe build log on Model Ship Builder http://modelshipbuilder.com as well as two others https://www.youtube.com/ and https://www.youtube.com/ so my ambition for the look of my version have changed to the more authentic look of Arthur's.
There will soon follow a string of posts asking for advice!
My last build was a 1:1 scale Lancia Stratos, so the tools have shrunk and the eyesight isn't quite so adequate, but there are fewer blood blisters and less swearing!
View attachment 150665View attachment 150669
I wish you both a warm welcome here on board of our forum - great models you are showing us

Thank you for the addition to the site. I’ve build a few models since I was a child though nothing too major until recently. I’m an officer in the Royal Australian Navy and previous to the navy I worked and sailed on tall ships around the world. I’ll start a thread on my current build shortly, a 1/72 Shipyard card model of the Mercury. I’ve also recently completed a trumpeter 1/200 Titanic, built basically out of the box with a few minor additions just to get me back into the hobby. I’ve also got an on again of again scratch built 1719 establishment 54 gun British warship, this isn’t of a particular ship as such but just based from plans of the general design.

View attachment 150667View attachment 150668View attachment 150666
Can you share please your finished models in the Completed builds topic.Thanks!

Twelve modelers decided to be a member of our Ships of Scale forum.

@BigBeto
@Karl Konrad
@david2640
@kikoh
@nicotinic
@jman
@bartkeinath
@cruicch
@rbd
@MikePicou
@Cliffweld
@SteveB

We want to say HELLO and wish you a warm welcome
Additionally, we hope, that you will have a good time, a lot of fun and that you will find interesting information here in our forum.

We would be glad if you could introduce yourself shortly with some personal words,
either here with a post in this topic or in an extra post in the area "Introduce Yourself !"

BTW: We strongly suggest to check out these video tutorials for how to use the forum:

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/index.php?forums/sos-help-topics-and-videos.127/

Last edited:
Ten modelers decided to be a member of our Ships of Scale forum.

@Dematosdg
@Vfordyce
@Ian Scott
@epinob1788
@effata
@Apok
@DeltaJaguar
@Claudio73
@SocHis001
@Milt Ryerson

Additionally, we hope, that you will have a good time, a lot of fun and that you will find interesting information here in our forum.

We would be glad if you could introduce yourself shortly with some personal words,
either here with a post in this topic or in an extra post in the area "Introduce Yourself !"

BTW: We strongly suggest to check out these video tutorials for how to use the forum:

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/index.php?forums/sos-help-topics-and-videos.127/

Last edited:
Hi! Thank you for letting me be a part of this forum! I'm new in this this world of ship modeling and wanted to build the Black Pearl but i feel a bit afraid haha I was looking for some instruccions or advices to make it easier but probably its a too big project for a newbie. I'm still doubting about it couse i really want it but don't want to do it wrong. I've been browsing the forums and there are too many artists in here, hoping to learn a lot of you all!

Hi! Thank you for letting me be a part of this forum! I'm new in this this world of ship modeling and wanted to build the Black Pearl but i feel a bit afraid haha I was looking for some instruccions or advices to make it easier but probably its a too big project for a newbie. I'm still doubting about it couse i really want it but don't want to do it wrong. I've been browsing the forums and there are too many artists in here, hoping to learn a lot of you all!
Hallo and welcome to the forum......
When you have already some experience in modeling in other areas like ships, when you are patient and think before you do something, I guess a model like the Black Pearl (from a good quality kit manufacturer) can be done with a good result - Give it a try Thumbsup
with starting a building log we are able to assist and help when ever necessary and requested

Hello all and thanks for the warm welcome.
I am not a ship modeller per se, but a plastic kit modeller. However, I've recently started work on the HMS Bounty 1:110 plastic kit by Revell and have found this forum an excellent source of knowledge. Looking forward to learning some new things.

Hallo and welcome to the forum......
When you have already some experience in modeling in other areas like ships, when you are patient and think before you do something, I guess a model like the Black Pearl (from a good quality kit manufacturer) can be done with a good result - Give it a try Thumbsup
with starting a building log we are able to assist and help when ever necessary and requested
Thank you Uwek! i'll try something easier for the moment i guess. :D

Hello all and thanks for the warm welcome.
I am not a ship modeller per se, but a plastic kit modeller. However, I've recently started work on the HMS Bounty 1:110 plastic kit by Revell and have found this forum an excellent source of knowledge. Looking forward to learning some new things.
Welcome on board of our forum

Fifteen modelers decided to be a member of our Ships of Scale forum.

@Tom Bobby
@dede
@Sharlic
@Matt_Tyler
@PoulD
@matz
@valcad
@doggonemess
@Nick
@drjeckl
@Bill B.
@Paul S
@swiftit
@Blofquist1
@Whitespirit

Six modelers decided to be a member of our Ships of Scale forum.

@pepecelada
@craftysailor
@spior dalitos
@Cross jack Yard
@Davabk6
@ribok7

Thanks very much for having me! I'm looking forward to learning and sharing a great deal. Shortly I'll be posting a built log for my first scratch build.

Thanks very much for having me! I'm looking forward to learning and sharing a great deal. Shortly I'll be posting a built log for my first scratch build.
Welcome aboard SOS! Great to have you with us! looking forward to your build log!!

Thank you for the welcome @zoly99sask

Just got in to modelling last year. I have always loved the age of sail, and obviously have devoured the Aubrey/Maturin novels several times over. Chose as my first boat HMAS Supply (Caldercraft), because I have lived in Australia and so am doubly fascinated by the transportation period: my great-something-grandfather was sent to Hobart in fact

49yrs old, live in Ipswich, Suffolk, England

Currently doing the Armed Pinnace by Mantua/Panart
Hallo @Cadence ,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
We hope to see once your Pinnace and / or your Supply ..... would be great

Fifteen modelers decided to be a member of our Ships of Scale forum.

@Tom Bobby
@dede
@Sharlic
@Matt_Tyler
@PoulD
@matz
@valcad
@doggonemess
@Nick
@drjeckl
@Bill B.
@Paul S
@swiftit
@Blofquist1
@Whitespirit

Thank you very much for the warm welcome. My name is Poul and I'm from Denmark. I have never build a ship model. I used to fly RC helicopters in the past and during those years I also build a few fixed wing planes. I have been highly facinated by tall ship models since I was a little kid though (I grew up with model ships around me when I spent my summers in the small town Marstal which has a long maritime history, Marstal vessels have sailed the seven seas for centuries and has a famous maritime school and dockyards ). I have always wanted to build a model but I have never taken the step. I guess I have feared that it would be to big a mouthful for me. I would more than hate having to give up without finishing and at the same time I would not be interested to build less than a POF model. I hope one day I will have the courage to try if I can build a cross section.

Welcome aboard SOS, PoulD!! You are certainly in the right place. Shipbuilding models - is a fascinating hobby. Given the fact that already built other types of models, you may try to build something easy, for entry-level, just to feel the wood 'in action' and have an idea.

Sixteen modelers decided to be a member of our Ships of Scale forum.

@Juan Martí
@Kowalski
@MikeBNE
@KMC
@Stephan_V
@Trial
@Edward T
@ahulleman
@JWPAGE
@Albo74
@darrenallen1970
@Kurtis
@yusufx
@louis
@Tetzman

Thank you very much for the warm welcome. My name is Poul and I'm from Denmark. I have never build a ship model. I used to fly RC helicopters in the past and during those years I also build a few fixed wing planes. I have been highly facinated by tall ship models since I was a little kid though (I grew up with model ships around me when I spent my summers in the small town Marstal which has a long maritime history, Marstal vessels have sailed the seven seas for centuries and has a famous maritime school and dockyards ). I have always wanted to build a model but I have never taken the step. I guess I have feared that it would be to big a mouthful for me. I would more than hate having to give up without finishing and at the same time I would not be interested to build less than a POF model. I hope one day I will have the courage to try if I can build a cross section.
Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum - Try it, the ships are not biting - and we all will help where necessary and requested.
We all started once with the first model.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back