Warped HMS Suprise frame.

I went away for a few weeks and came home to find my 1/48 Suprise assembly noticeably curved. Someone had moved my bench to the furnace room and the heat must have done it. Not sure how I can fix this as all the frames and first deck have been glued down using Titebond 2 glue. I would have thought that would prevent any warping but it turns out I was mistaken. Any ideas on how to straighten it would be appreciated.

I went away for a few weeks and came home to find my 1/48 Suprise assembly noticeably curved. Someone had moved my bench to the furnace room and the heat must have done it. Not sure how I can fix this as all the frames and first deck have been glued down using Titebond 2 glue. I would have thought that would prevent any warping but it turns out I was mistaken. Any ideas on how to straighten it would be appreciated.

I worked as a stringed musical instrument maker/repairer before I retired. In my experience warping such as you have will gradually straighten itself as the moisture content equalizes. This may take a couple of weeks. Leave it in a draft free place, away from heat or air conditioning. p

Most of the time warping in plywood happens when one side of the wood is either dried or dampened more than the other. The quick fix of spraying the concave side with water is extremely risky; it is nearly impossible to achieve equilibrium.

I worked as a stringed musical instrument maker/repairer before I retired. In my experience warping such as you have will gradually straighten itself as the moisture content equalizes. This may take a couple of weeks. Leave it in a draft free place, away from heat or air conditioning. p

Most of the time warping in plywood happens when one side of the wood is either dried or dampened more than the other. The quick fix of spraying the concave side with water is extremely risky; it is nearly impossible to achieve equilibrium.
Thank you for the information! I've also done some Luthier work on my own instruments but consider myself highly unqualified to do so! Thankfully none of mine were damaged in the process.

Back