Washes how to

Applying a wash of a color is basically thinning it down till almost no color is seen and then applying it over the base coat.

Depending on type and brand, I use distilled water or alcohol to thin paints, some required a brand specific paint thinner.

Use a spare container or jar to start with about 20-30 drops of thinner, and add one or two drops of paint, mix and see what you get on scrap piece.

Then you can add thinner or paint to get the desired look.

I suggest using a spare piece of plastic with same base paint color you want to apply was over to use a test.

You can always add more wash to darken the look, but its harder to remove a layer unless you have planned ahead.

Depending on type paint your using it may be able to be washed off, if a water based paint, but the prior coat of paints and washes must be sealed first to protect them.

A spray coat of clear sealer, between base coat and starting of washes is helpful.

You might try googling the term "applying paint washes" or similar phrases to see what is out on u Tube.

Will,

In particular do some Google searches on painting and washes of military or war figures. The artistry particularly with the war gamers is extraordinary and they use washes extensively.

Most of the plastic war games figurines use acrylic paints and washes over a base coat and the effect is stunning. There are some great tutorials by paint makers like Tamiya and Vallejo.

It’s a rewarding area of modelling and with practice the finish can be amazing.

PeterG

Hello Will, what part of the good old USA do you hale from.

Under your profile you can can add info to your location so we all know who may be near us if help is need now that we aren't all locked in full time.

I will add to Kurts comment in that using a satin or best glossy clear coat before adding the wash makes this easier.When complete, spray the model with clear matt varnish (obviously not if it is an automobile)

Kind Regards

Nigel

I'm new to plastic models and want to detail features with washes. Never did washes and need help. Any help, comments, ideas warmly welcomed.
Washes as previously answered are basically thinned paint. To add another dimension is to use “dry brushing” it is the opposite of a wash and it hi lites the raised sections. Base color, a wash followed by dry brushing will ad amazing detail to you builds. You may also consider a combination of finishes (gloss and flat) to add more realism depending on what it is you are detailing.

Thanks for the dry brushing technique. I'll give it a try
Don’t think I mentioned drybrusing is best done with a flat end brush. And it should also be a shade lighter or darker than the base coat. So you will have base coat, wash (usually darker then base) And finally dry brush with a lighter or darker shade of base color( depends on the effect and the environment ) you are trying o to achieve.

This process can also apply to plastic modeling, I tried it first it on a 1/48th scale plane.

I have not had much success with acrylic paints, especially weathering. So, picked up a tip regarding using "watercolor paints", NOT "acrylic watercolor paint" for weathering and gave it a try. The advantage of using non acrylic is that it is easy to remove, just wipe off with a damp brush or cloth. Or wash it off and start over. And it's easy to drybrush over.

I used enamel paints for base colors and highlights. I think if you use acrylic base paint it will need to be sealed before adding a wash. Once the base color is dry, to weather, apply a wash (dark grey in this case), simply thin with water, I add a drop of detergent. Let dry. Trial and error to get the right look. I used the same process on the figures. Once happy with the look used a dry brush technique for the highlights.

20240306_101818.jpg

20240305_122639.jpg

HI ALL QUESTION FOR WASHES ON WOOD FOR SHIPS I SEE MIN WAX HAS A LINE OF WASHES AND WOOD EFFECTS HAS ANY ONE TRIED THIS YET. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Basic washes: 50% acrylic Media: 50% water: 1/20 flow aid. I use Liquitex pro for my media. I'm still just learning, so below are not the greatest. However, you can see the shadow/contrast that a wash creates when simply applied all over after painting. Works well with any color (I mixed mine from a few primary colors). Note: The figures are less than an inch each.

@Quint: just wow!!! very nice. ;-)

IMG_2086.jpeg

Last edited:
Back