washing parts

Whaats the best way to wash large plastic parts prior to airbrushing?
Personally, I gently wash the components with dishwashing liquid, (using an old soft tooth brush) thoroughly rinse with clean fresh water dry them off then wipe (wash) using white vinegar. The 1st wash rids any contaminants like mold release agents or other. The white vinegar, for want of a better word, etches the plastic surface and promotes greater adhesion of paint to the plastic. I also use this method to prepare brass photo etch plates. Some may not agree here but this method has never failed or let me down in the past and in truth I've never experienced any form of delamination or chipping on parts/components. My suggestion for you hopes it helps. Cheers.

One additional thought: once the parts are clean, wear gloves (cotton, nitrile, latex, or vinyl) so that the pieces are not contaminated with oil from your hands. Forceps and tweezers also work.
Fair winds!

I know some use an ultrasonic cleaner with dish soap to clean parts, the micro vibrations help break up chemicals on surface, then clean and dry as listed, and use gloves to prevent recontamination.

Back