Watered Down PVA ratio

What should be the ratio of PVA to Water for a watered down PVA solution to use in Planking?

Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum....

Before answering one question:
What do you mean with "to use in planking"
Which kind of planking? Deck or hull? If hull first or second planking?
To fix the planks, or do you want to treat the planking somehow?

I am personally not dilute the PVA glue, but this depends often on the type of glue you are using?
Often more important is the time period, the glue needs for curing....

Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum....

Before answering one question:
What do you mean with "to use in planking"
Which kind of planking? Deck or hull? If hull first or second planking?
To fix the planks, or do you want to treat the planking somehow?

I am personally not dilute the PVA glue, but this depends often on the type of glue you are using?
Often more important is the time period, the glue needs for curing....

Thank you very much for your answer. I am working on the the first planking of a Caldercraft-Jotika model, the HM Brig Badger. The instructions call for applying a solution of "watered down PVA" to the inside surface of the first planking. So, my question is what should the ration of water to PVA be? Thanks again for any thought you have on this.

Understand,
it is purely to transport the glue into every gap between planks and planks to bulkheads after you finished the complete first planking.
For this there will be no fixed ratio and it is depending on your used glue.
Si I would start with a mixture of 4:1 (glue:water) and try - if the glue is still not fluid enough change the ratio and try with more water - it is a pure trial and error.....
But there can be nothing damaged - it is only for stabilizing the hull structure

Understand,
it is purely to transport the glue into every gap between planks and planks to bulkheads after you finished the complete first planking.
For this there will be no fixed ratio and it is depending on your used glue.
Si I would start with a mixture of 4:1 (glue:water) and try - if the glue is still not fluid enough change the ratio and try with more water - it is a pure trial and error.....
But there can be nothing damaged - it is only for stabilizing the hull structure

Thanks again. That was very helpful! Andy

I agree with Uwek--the purpose is to fill the gaps and level the first layer of planking. Starting with 4:1 is probably a good idea but I think you could even go with more water.

Thank you very much for your answer. I am working on the the first planking of a Caldercraft-Jotika model, the HM Brig Badger. The instructions call for applying a solution of "watered down PVA" to the inside surface of the first planking. So, my question is what should the ration of water to PVA be? Thanks again for any thought you have on this.
I agree with Uwek--the purpose is to fill the gaps and level the first layer of planking. Starting with 4:1 is probably a good idea but I think you could even go with more water.
Dear Thomas- Thanks much for your thoughts on this. I have gotten several replies on this question from various sources, varying from 4:1 to 1:4, to yours, and to experiment. I have tested out 1:1, and later today I will test out 1(glue) to 2 water. This is my first planking job, and there are some larger gaps between the planks at certain places, especially on the early ones that I put, than I think there should be. I want to apply the glue on the inside of the hull to fill these spaces. Then I plan to sand on the outside and fill in as needed with wood filler. Thanks again for your help.

Back