Waxing rope thread

Waxing or not waxing the threads? Waxing ofcourse offers a better standing of the rope and an easier binding. But wax brings dust on the rope, makes the texture of good quality model rope to look dull and flat.... and lastly there is always the danger of acidity on the long term.

So am very sceptical if is better not to use wax. And if use wax am not sure which kind of wax is better. Normal candle wax oris it better to use the nice soft furniture bee wax?

And how about sagging depending of the humidity? There is no solution to this I know of. Is there one?

I've used a cheap womens Hairspray on Biplane models rigging "wires" to stiffen and seal them, hang the cotton with a light weight (I used seamstress pin stuck in a slice of rubber eraser) after singeing; then sprayed and allowed to dry. Its easy to trim what are "taught ropes" after each fitting.

Its been mentioned before, but cotton ropes are easily fixed if you carefully run the thread over a candle flame to remove the fuzz.

It really works well, so please try it. ;)
I wonder how they removed the fuzz from the Hangman Ropes before they hoisted Mutineers up for slow strangulation....:rolleyes:

Back