WHAT ABOUT LATHES....

hi guys and girls, I was wondering who of you have a lathe, what model do you have?
Hello Smelly, Generally speaking, the Sherline products (lathe and mill) are great precision products. They made lathes and mills, and a combination tool. @Donnie owns the lathe\mill, he can elaborate more. It best to purchase by packages, so you don't have to spend more money buying all the required additional tools.

I was considering to buy the same Paulimot modified Sieg as Olivers Historic Shipyard but since I'm more of a miser than Ebenezer Scrooge I ended up buying a second hand Rotwerk EDM 300 DS. After hard negotiations I got it with both analogue and digital readout, drill chuck, rolling center and some tools for less than half the price of the lathe itself.
I tend to agree with Oliver (and many girls) about the size.
1603636864286.png

I have both the 17" lathe with Digital Readout and the Mill with Digital Readout. Sherline has all accessories that you can think of - This is what they do is the design and build and make their own product. This is all they do is Mills and Lathes. So, in my opinion, this is what they specialize in.
Both Mills and Lathes can be ordered Inch or Metic.
If you buy the package deals, in my opinion, you are getting the best buy as you have everything you need to start milling or turning.

I was considering to buy the same Paulimot modified Sieg as Olivers Historic Shipyard but since I'm more of a miser than Ebenezer Scrooge I ended up buying a second hand Rotwerk EDM 300 DS. After hard negotiations I got it with both analogue and digital readout, drill chuck, rolling center and some tools for less than half the price of the lathe itself.
I tend to agree with Oliver (and many girls) about the size.
View attachment 187571
I know very little about lathes other than back in shop class. mid 50s turning wood, How did you come across this lathe to negotiate your buy... and can it handle metal such as high strength steel rods? (scale cannon barrels) Rich (PT-2)

I know very little about lathes other than back in shop class. mid 50s turning wood, How did you come across this lathe to negotiate your buy... and can it handle metal such as high strength steel rods? (scale cannon barrels) Rich (PT-2)
I don't know much about lathes either. It was found in a Danish electronic newspaper with second hand stuff.
Yes, it can handle steel. In fact all the carbide inserts that came along with the lathe are not good for other materials than steel so I have bought some old fashion HSS tools which are more suitable for brass etc.

For simple tapering, short not long lengths, I have made do with my Porter Cable 3/8 inch chuck battery hand drill and some files and sandpaper. Low tech and not precision but it has worked so far but I see problems arising needing more precision. Without one I will continue to rely on a lot of slow hand sanding tapering for longer masts' sections. The metal part was not in jest but not reality for now as I have fun with the barrel that I turned years ago. Rich (PT-2)
I don't know much about lathes either. It was found in a Danish electronic newspaper with second hand stuff.
Yes, it can handle steel. In fact all the carbide inserts that came along with the lathe are not good for other materials than steel so I have bought some old fashion HSS tools which are more suitable for brass et

I have this two models. In my opinion... bigger is better. The Unimat 3 is too small for bigger scales and very limited . But the bigger machines (the better bigger machines) can as well work with small parts.

View attachment 187569

I now have the same Unimat 3 (plus mill) with many options and I absolutely love it. I used to have the same Sieg C2 but had to got rid of it due to lack of space in the workshop. I was not unhappy for getting rid of it because it was very rudimentary and rough. Hobby lathes start at Unimat 3!
János

Jimsky, when things get busy, I can have one SL set up as a lathe and the other set up as a drill/mill.
AND with a bit of patience, two SL beds can be set up in tandem for turning long masts. Either way, all three take up very little room. Including all my accessories and tools, they all fit into two drawers of a regular 50cm wide kitchen cupboard.

1949 South Bend. Old school.
View attachment 193430
I happen to have an old 1950:s lathe made by the swedish company Asbrink from Malmoe. It was given to me by an literaly old friend just a couple of years before he passed away. It is a highly treasured pice of equipment both from a practical and a sentimental point of view.

20201130_181637.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back