What are these?

Was going through my old hobby box and found these I haven't seen in awhile. Anyone know what they may have been originally used for? Spenco made in Pakistan stainless, but I couldn't find anything online about them.

20200323_201336.jpg

a scissor to cut and open a bandage - without the sharp forefront you can go in between the skin and the bandage, without injure the skin - and than you can cut.
Safety measure !

a scissor to cut and open a bandage - without the sharp forefront you can go in between the skin and the bandage, without injure the skin - and than you can cut.
Safety measure !
I was kinda thinking the same about the blunt end. Makes sense that they are for bandage removal. Thanks I'll go with that .

Last edited:
Many of these have a little “hook” on the end of one of the blades to allow you to get between a suture and the skin, to cut the suture for removal.
There are also some with the hook as you describe for stitch removal on fabric. I'm sure they aren't made out of medical grade stainless though.

Doc Blake beet me to it, the Pakistani tells me they came from disposable suture removal kit, used by clinics and ERs.

I used to get those from our ER when I was in AF as Medical Supply we kept them and had them cleaned and sterilized and used them for hobby work. Pakistani stainless not quality to multiple re-sterilization I was told, they were cheaper quality, but good for one time use!.

Doc Blake beet me to it, the Pakistani tells me they came from disposable suture removal kit, used by clinics and ERs.

I used to get those from our ER when I was in AF as Medical Supply we kept them and had them cleaned and sterilized and used them for hobby work. Pakistani stainless not quality to multiple re-sterilization I was told, they were cheaper quality, but good for one time use!.

True! Most suture sets are disposable after one use. Cheap quality stainless. They consist of scissors, forceps and some gauze. Not terribly high tech!

Hi all,
just catching up with last weeks threads and interesting articles, and thought I might add to the list of unusual (?!?) tools that we us. I have a pair of scissors that my mother used in the hairdressing salon in London, where she worked before I was born, from about around 1938, till I popped out in 1945. In all the years I have had them I only use them on thin paper or cotton/silk thread. About 16cm long and made by "Elmo" in Sheffield, UK from Razor Steel (?) and are ideal to cut those 'difficult to get to' ends of rigging thread. I just rub a very fine oiled stone down the cutting edge once in a while, just wonder if the steel in the scissors you buy today will last as long.

JohnK

Attachments

• DSC_0147.JPG
    DSC_0147.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 5
Was going through my old hobby box and found these I haven't seen in awhile. Anyone know what they may have been originally used for? Spenco made in Pakistan stainless, but I couldn't find anything online about them.
Hallo @Dcox1961
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back