What I'm up to

Firstly, Happy Holidays and stay safe.

I am building HMS Terror by OcOre. I got the kit in August. The hull is planked, I have started some of the deck furniture and at the moment I am starting the sheathing of the bow with the protective plates.
My back ground as a hobbyist was in wood working, actually as a woodturner. I have had and used a lathe for about 35 years. The move into a condo (apartment) means that the lathe I have is in a common space and has an elevator ride and the trundling of all the stuff to use the lathe through a garage space. Therefore I decided to have a go at building a sailing ship model. This so far has been a learning experience, but it has given me the chance to gather a bunch of small scale tools and explore the communities covering the hobby. I have been posting a build log on another site, but it has a prohibition about any discussion of Chinese sailing ship kits. I am in fact very interested in some of the 1/48 CFA kits and have been following reviews and builds.

A few quick images of my build.

IMG_0582 Edited.jpgIMG_0583 Edited.jpgIMG_0584 Edited.jpg

HMS Terror was a bomb ship modified to explore the Antarctic and the Arctic. She was lost in 1845 as the second ship of the Franklin Expedition to find the Northwest Passage. Her remains were discovered in 2016. I guess she was the best ice breaking technology available to the British Admiralty at the time.

I am building HMS Terror by OcOre. I got the kit in August. The hull is planked, I have started some of the deck furniture and at the moment I am starting the sheathing of the bow with the protective plates.
My back ground as a hobbyist was in wood working, actually as a woodturner. I have had and used a lathe for about 35 years. The move into a condo (apartment) means that the lathe I have is in a common space and has an elevator ride and the trundling of all the stuff to use the lathe through a garage space. Therefore I decided to have a go at building a sailing ship model. This so far has been a learning experience, but it has given me the chance to gather a bunch of small scale tools and explore the communities covering the hobby. I have been posting a build log on another site, but it has a prohibition about any discussion of Chinese sailing ship kits. I am in fact very interested in some of the 1/48 CFA kits and have been following reviews and builds.

View attachment 201196View attachment 201197View attachment 201198
Freedom of speech is a fundamental aspect of a civilized society and restriction of that denotes a totalitarian environment for which most of us do not agree, other than the civil concept of agreeing to disagree but not prohibition of speech. Just my own thought and not necessarily that of SoS. Nice transition from large lathe work to our small world of model builds. Rich (PT-2)

View attachment 201196View attachment 201197View attachment 201198
Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.

Hallo @Broden
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is your work on your HMS Terror going?

Thanks for the birthday wishes. HMS Terror is still a work in progress. We had a 2 month shut down for open heart surgery, but we are now back in business. We spent a lot of time on the catheads both fore and aft and are now trying to figure out the best looking method to make and install the chain plates and shroud deadeyes. I'll post some pictures soon.

Back