What is this tool?

A friend bought it for me as a present while he was at a shop in Mobile, Alabama. He knew I’m interested in ships. The tag says it’s a ship chandler’s seizing tool.

It is ,indeed a serving mallet. I wonder if a scaled down version would work for model building? I saw a similar device in one of the old Model Shipways plans or publications. Any ideas or suggestions? Served portions of standing rigging look great on models and a version of this device appropriately scaled seems a whole lot more simple and convenient than some of the current devices I've seen. Pete Gutterman

It is ,indeed a serving mallet. I wonder if a scaled down version would work for model building? I saw a similar device in one of the old Model Shipways plans or publications. Any ideas or suggestions? Served portions of standing rigging look great on models and a version of this device appropriately scaled seems a whole lot more simple and convenient than some of the current devices I've seen. Pete Gutterman
Pete, I have no idea how you would make something that tiny that works. Maybe if I could create a miniature person to operate it... I know my ham fists couldn't handle it.

Back