What mini diamont and non-diamont files are you using ?

Hi all

I know that the files topic have been discussed here, but I can't find the thread. Please, can you point me what mini diamont and non-diamont files are you using that I could buy in USA.

Thank you all !!
Daniel

Are you talking about file made using diamond dust? I just use a cheap set made in China which are available for $8 on Amazon: Mini Diamond Files

1718542914288.png

The nice thing about diamond files is that they don't load up with sawdust, and if they do, the material flakes off the tool easily. They are best for removing material fast, but a traditional metal mill file is better at leaving a smooth finish on wood. You should also have a set of metal needle files in your tool box.

1718543118873.png

Are you talking about file made using diamond dust? I just use a cheap set made in China which are available for $8 on Amazon: Mini Diamond Files

View attachment 453752

The nice thing about diamond files is that they don't load up with sawdust, and if they do, the material flakes off the tool easily. They are best for removing material fast, but a traditional metal mill file is better at leaving a smooth finish on wood. You should also have a set of metal needle files in your tool box.

View attachment 453753

Thank you. Yes, these type of files is what I am looking ford. There are too many listed on Amazon and no really sure about their quality. If these,are working for you great !!

What are the non diamont that you got ?

Thank you
Daniel

Any other recommendations before I push the buy bottom ?

Please, don't think on price. Just let me know what set do you use that you feel comfortable recommending it. Then I will see if I can afford it.

Thank you all !!
Daniel

I have had a cheap set of Diamond files like Kurt has that have lasted me many years without problem. I would suggest you go to harbor freight, if you have one nearby to pick up an inexpensive set of diamond and regular files.

Yes, I do have one nearby. Will go !!

Thank you !
Daniel

Thank you. Yes, these type of files is what I am looking ford. There are too many listed on Amazon and no really sure about their quality. If these,are working for you great !!

What are the non diamont that you got ?

Thank you
Daniel
I bought a set of metal needle files also on Amazon for $8.00. The quality is good enough for wood work. A premium (expensive) set of files would be used on filing metal. This is because premium quality files are typically harder due to better steel and heat treatment. For wood, there is not much difference in how cheap files perform relative to expensive ones. For modeling, files are one of the least expensive tools in your toolbox. I find that an inexpensive ($190.00) Chinese bandsaw is of great use for making wooden more parts for added details or scratch building. I cut planking strips and all forms of small wooden parts using one. Good hand held sanding blocks and sanding sticks are also particularly useful, as is a good pair of Fiskars scissors shown below ($15 on Amazon) for rigging or even cutting the ends of thin deck planks to length. You get lots of use using all the tools previously mentioned. It goes to show you that the tools you use most are not the expensive ones.

1718562303166.png

I bought a set of metal needle files also on Amazon for $8.00. The quality is good enough for wood work. A premium (expensive) set of files would be used on filing metal. This is because premium quality files are typically harder due to better steel and heat treatment. For wood, there is not much difference in how cheap files perform relative to expensive ones. For modeling, files are one of the least expensive tools in your toolbox. I find that an inexpensive ($190.00) Chinese bandsaw is of great use for making wooden more parts for added details or scratch building. I cut planking strips and all forms of small wooden parts using one. Good hand held sanding blocks and sanding sticks are also particularly useful, as is a good pair of Fiskars scissors shown below ($15 on Amazon) for rigging or even cutting the ends of thin deck planks to length. You get lots of use using all the tools previously mentioned. It goes to show you that the tools you use most are not the expensive ones.

View attachment 453774

Thank you very much !!
Daniel

Please, don't think on price. Just let me know what set do you use that you feel comfortable recommending it. Then I will see if I can afford it.
Maybe you've already made your purchase decision...

But if money were not an issue (I guess that's rarely the case) the best needle files I have found are the 'Pferd Needle File Set Corradi'. They come is various cuts. I use cut 1 for most everything and cut 2 for the finest work. They are expensive but...

But if money were not an issue (I guess that's rarely the case) the best needle files I have found are the 'Pferd Needle File Set Corradi'. They come is various cuts. I use cut 1 for most everything and cut 2 for the finest work. They are expensive but...
I bought a band saw for the price of a set of those files, Paul. When you are on a budget, you have to choose where and how much to spend based on the usefulness of the tools you're buying. For wooden ship modeling, the cheap files do the job... leaving more money to buy properly shaped rigging blocks.

... will last you a lifetime, the only file set you will buy.

Paul and Jimsky

Are these the mini files ? . Can you post a picture of your set. No rush. Thank you !

Screenshot_20240616_224224_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I bought a band saw for the price of a set of those files, Paul. When you are on a budget, you have to choose where and how much to spend based on the usefulness of the tools you're buying. For wooden ship modeling, the cheap files do the job... leaving more money to buy properly shaped rigging blocks.
If this concerns you...you should see my budget for all things grandchild related ROTF ROTF ROTF...

Paul and Jimsky

Are these the mini files ? . Can you post a picture of your set. No rush. Thank you !
Personally, I don't use diamond-coated files other than to shape PE brass parts. This is the set I use for daily modeling. It is cut #1, and good for both wood and metal.

1718630097858.png

This set included all the common shapes you may need. It doesn't include, however, the barret stile file so I bought it separately. Here is my set (below)

IMG_0463.JPEG
You can buy directly from the manufacturer, it should be less expensive than on Amazon.

Here is my five cents. File is not going to last a lifetime. This is disposable tool like drill and mill bits. It is going to get broken and dull. I personally prefer diamond needle files over steel ones. Note that diamond files are not all coarse at 150 grit. I have some with much finer grit. I do not own expensive file sets. I have about hundred of cheap ones of all kinds. I at least do not bother when one gets broken. I do not hesitate to shape one of my files into a shape I currently need.

I agree with most members on this issue. I would never spend a fortune on expensive files thinking they will last a life time. They are like sanding disks and drums, they wear out and plug up over time regardless of how often and whatever method you use to clean them.

Here is my five cents. File is not going to last a lifetime. This is disposable tool like drill and mill bits. It is going to get broken and dull. I personally prefer diamond needle files over steel ones. Note that diamond files are not all coarse at 150 grit. I have some with much finer grit. I do not own expensive file sets. I have about hundred of cheap ones of all kinds. I at least do not bother when one gets broken. I do not hesitate to shape one of my files into a shape I currently need.
I have to disagree with you about lasting a lifetime. I have tools, specifically needle files (made in the USSR), they are still sharp and great files. The Corradi files I have owned for about 15 years they are like new.

My father used to say: I am not rich enough to buy cheap! With further respect, everyone has their own opinions!

Back