Where and how do I start with this?

Good Evening Gents,
I've been giving this subject a lot of thought but, where does one start and how do I go about setting up . Could anyone help me understand what's what ?
many thanks .
Niallmhor49

Sorry about that , I am on about 3 D printing how do I go about starting out ie: software , 3-D printer and the pit falls to look out for when starting out on this venture.
Niallmhor49

Niallmhor49
You could start at a library near you that has a 3D printer, they can show you how to use it, print items for you etc, it may not be the best advice but it is a starting point. from there maybe a community based workshop (not sure what they are called over there, here they are Makerspace or a variation on). You probably get better advice from there.
I wont give you any advice about what is a good/bad printer, or software as there are probably thousands out there, and every one has its good and bad bits.
what I will tell you is the pit falls to look out for and that is lots of advice, most will be conflicting, a lot will be second hand info ( I have a friend of a friend who says).
and if I had to give you any advice it would be what I wrote above, go and find a place or someone that has a 3D printer and learn how to use it, pick their brain on pit falls of that style of product.

Hope that helps start your journey a little easier.
Regards

Andrew

Hi Gents,
Thanks for that Andrew, I shall have to find out about this from my local Library in Easingwold and see if they hold one , failing that I'll have to get to York Central Library and see what they have on the subject.c
Once again thank you
Niallmhor49

Just a quick google search provides some info that may help.

This one is closer to home for you
Andrew

there are 3 stages to all this and stage one is learning basic 2D cad drawing from here on to stage 2 and take the 2D drawings and convert them to 3D parts Once you have a part you create a print file a STL this file might have to be adjusted to make a proper print, things like wall thickness and parts can not extend out because they will sag or fall down.

you can learn the basic by using a free program such as google Sketchup then the better you get the higher end programs you can use like Fusion 360

3dd.JPG

to offer you advice it would be helpful if you gave us some back round in what you know like CAD drawing or 3D modeling.

I found it is better to use a 3D print service rather than trying to build or buy a printer. There are factors to consider such as the size limits of the object you can print and how fine the print resolution is and the type of printer like a plastic deposit or resin type.

start with reading the steam engine topic that is about taking an original set of plans and creating a 3D model

also follow CAF and TRIDENT topics on doing 3D modeling

then start posting questions and we will find answers for you

Considering Doing A ancre scratch build (FLUCIA) it seems more to my skill level then the LE ROCHEFORT, but plan on doing it also if I get the help I need, but one question the FLUCIA HAS SOME CARVINGS NOT COMPLICATED ONES DOES ANYONE KNOW OF SOMEONE THAT HAS THIS SERVICE. THANKS Dave

Back