Where and how do the French store their cannon balls on deck?

G'day Paul, on most English Ships there were racks along the side of the gratings and also they used a triangular
shaped holder that went between the guns,

285.jpg
These are three different sized cannon balls for my Bonne Homme Richard cross section,

294.jpg

Hope this helps you,

best regards John,

also the french navy used often the triangles for temporary storage of the balls during the actions. Especially on the upper decks, where they can be removed, when not needed.
Shown on several drawings sets from ancre, f.e. the 74-gun ship
IMG_18401.jpg

or the L´Arthesien
IMG_43751.jpg

you can find them also on contemporary models (here also the L´Artesien)
IMG_43591.jpg

Sometimes they had also small racks mounted over the waterboard - here the Saint-Philippe
IMG_18581.jpg

also the french navy used often the triangles for temporary storage of the balls during the actions. Especially on the upper decks, where they can be removed, when not needed.
Shown on several drawings sets from ancre, f.e. the 74-gun ship
View attachment 176553

or the L´Arthesien
View attachment 176554

you can find them also on contemporary models (here also the L´Artesien)
View attachment 176555

Sometimes they had also small racks mounted over the waterboard - here the Saint-Philippe
View attachment 176556
Sorry to interject here, French stored shot on the deck in triangle trays, English around the gratings and linearly along the waterway, between guns. What about the Spanish? Since the French and Spanish were allied in the 18th century against the English, assuming they refit in shared drydocks. Did they follow the same standards for deck shot during this period?

Hi all. What about the small 3 pounders used in cutters, does anyone know how these less than 3 inch balls were stored on deck or near the cannons?

As you can see in the picture below (My ZHL Soleil Royal) - where are the cannon balls stored on deck? In the kit there is no information. Can anyone shed some light on this?
View attachment 176512
Try building [ brass monkies ] out of small scraps of wood, toothpicks, match sticks split down the middle, arrange in a square, or triangle use copper, or brass paint, add cannon ball's, now you have "the ball's in brass monkies " one monkey per two guns, not to close. hope this helps!

They were not stored on deck but on a lower deck in long horizontal shot racks and brought up as needed. To store them on deck would invite rolling around dangerously in any seas. The story of brass trays (monkeys) holding them and contracting faster in cold weather spilling the stack of balls is discredited as a myth. The boys who carried powder and shot up were powder monkeys, the guns were also called monkeys, and the curved rear lever on the breech the monkey's tail....the place was overrrun with monkeys....so as they look neat I would make some brass monkeys and stack the balls in them on my model but it is not historical, the story is so much "monkeys". This pic shows some stored on the gun deck for immediate use

shot.jpg

Back