Where to go from here?

I will soon complete my "La Candeleria" by Occre. By "complete" I mean make the best of a bad job. When I took this project on I had no idea that this world existed, I thought I had bought a kit of parts that I had to glue together.
So I was well into the project by the time I found this forum and too far forward to go back and do it all properly.
I have now got myself a work area and am in the process of equipping it.
So next project?
I don't want a beginners' kit because I need the challenge, then again, I will never be expert level.
I would like to build either The Endurance (Occre) or La Belem (Artisania Latinal).
Perhaps you guys can give me some advice...
Am I mad to even attempt these?
La Candelaria from Occre was good quality for the most part but the cord is not that good (and not enough). They supplied insufficient blocks and deadeyes. The kit I had from 6 years ago lacked detailed instructions enough for an out and out beginner like me.
Can I expect better from AL?
One of the restrictions I have is the size of my workshop (cupboard). I live in a flat where space is limited and any model over 85cm would not fit my work table.
I have read a few of the build logs of the Endurance and will follow Fish&Chips' log of the Belem.
Any advice besides "take up gardening"!

I think both the kits you mentioned would be suitable for a second build. We are here to help if you run into trouble building them.

I will soon complete my "La Candeleria" by Occre. By "complete" I mean make the best of a bad job. When I took this project on I had no idea that this world existed, I thought I had bought a kit of parts that I had to glue together.
So I was well into the project by the time I found this forum and too far forward to go back and do it all properly.
So next project?
I don't want a beginners' kit because I need the challenge, then again, I will never be expert level.
I would like to build either The Endurance (Occre) or La Belem (Artisania Latinal).
La Candelaria from Occre was good quality for the most part but the cord is not that good (and not enough). They supplied insufficient blocks and deadeyes. The kit I had from 6 years ago lacked detailed instructions enough for an out and out beginner like me.
One of the restrictions I have is the size of my workshop (cupboard). I live in a flat where space is limited and any model over 85cm would not fit my work table.
I have read a few of the build logs of the Endurance and will follow Fish&Chips' log of the Belem.
How about the San Francisco II from Artesania Latina?

20211015_140355.jpg20210930_114249.jpg

SF II: a most excellent choice for those who are starting out. The model is pretty accurate, rigging simple, and in expensive. I have one in a box waiting to be built once I get tired of doing difficult scratch built men of war.

Thanks for the replies. I still a have some time on La Candelaria as I decided to try to improve the look of the supplied sails (extra seams and a bolt rope edge) and still have six to sew, fit and rig.
Leaning towards la Belem...
I'll keep you informed, meanwhile any advice about kits and equipment will be well received.

So next project?
I recently finished the Albatros by OcCre, my first build. I ran into a few of the issues you mentioned, like not enough blocks and deadeyes, and I wasn't crazy about the cord either. With OcCre I found the customer service to be excellent! With the few things I was short, and one or two things I broke, they always sent me replacements fast and at no charge.
I just started my second build, the Endurance, also by OcCre. I decided to go with OcCre again because like I said, I thought the customer service was excellent. Through this forum, I've found a number of sites that offer upgrades on parts if you wanted to try that. For instance, I think I'm going to try this cord https://ropesofscale.com/. And this site has rigging that should be an upgrade from the kit https://drydockmodelsandparts.com/.
Another thing I like about OcCre is that there are lots of youtube videos of the builds. In fact, on their website next to each ship, they have a button taking you to a series of youtube videos for each step of the build. They didn't have that for the Albatros, but I found this site to be very helpful https://www.occremania.com/.
Hope this helps!

There are so many very talented and expert builders here I feel humbled to even be here. As an average builder I have to say there's no such thing as an entry level or beginners model. I've had problems with every kit I've ever built. The challenge is what makes this hobby fun.

There are so many very talented and expert builders here I feel humbled to even be here. As an average builder I have to say there's no such thing as an entry level or beginners model. I've had problems with every kit I've ever built. The challenge is what makes this hobby fun.
How do you think WE felt when we started here? Don't be discouraged. All of us have climbed the ladder of model ship building experience and are at different positions on the ladder... however I'm getting tired of looking at Paul's butt just above me. :rolleyes:

How do you think WE felt when we started here? Don't be discouraged. All of us have climbed the ladder of model ship building experience and are at different positions on the ladder..
Unfortunately at the age of 75 my ladder is a lot shorter than was. It feels a bit like the development of my model making skills will meet the deterioration caused by the ageing process coming the other way.
I'll get as far as I can and enjoy it as I go.
Still making sails and rigging my "La Candelaria"...

I finally decided on the Endurance, love the story. What finally decided me was the choice of manufacturer. I was told that AL left a string of debts when they closed in Spain. Occre on the other hand are a Spanish company making they kits in Europe. I like to support that. (I live in Spain)
Very tempted by the Belem because it is still sailing and I could have booked to sail on her from Fécamp, France to The Hague {4th to 7th July) . What better way to see the detail close up. As happens I can't go on those dates anyway and the cost of getting there and back put it out of my budget.
I bought the kit and a whole bunch of tools and stuff from a great little shop in València, MAQUETAS CASA GIMENEZ, great guy, very helpful. His price was actually a little less than direct from Occre.
I'll start a build log once I begin. Not to show how it's done, rather in the hope that you guys can tell me where I am going wrong before it's too late to go back. This won't be just yet as I still have a few hours work on the Candelaria.
I can't wait to get started on my new project...

Back