Which two of these do you like the best

Which two of these do you like the most?

• Minnie

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Marjory Glen

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Donna Francisca

• County of Roxburgh

• Wyoming

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Arabia

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Louisiana

• Winchester Castle

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
All of them! I voted on immediate visual appeal, so big and impressive. (while being very small and very impressive)

The Wyoming, that leads the field, was the biggest "flop!" It took 56 hours to build, spread over about 3 weeks. It sold at auction in London for £159.71. Winchester Castle, took 100 hours, and sold for £840 (auction). Minnie took 28 hours and sold for £150 privately. Donna Francisca took 63 hours, and sold for £500 (private sale)! Marjory Glen took 53 hours and went for £350 (private sale). Arabia 82 hours and sold for £570 (private sale). Lousiana 57 hours, £360 (auction)! County of Roxburgh is not for sale, as it is our favourite!
Bob

Hi Bob

They are all very nice that is for sure but the clipper Marjori Glen has always caught my eye for there very fine lines, also the tanker Lousianna as in my younger years I sailen on them, on the Great Lakes, Costal and also Deap Sea, ENJOY.

Regards Canoe21 { Lawrence }

Hi Bob,

I notice all your models are impeccable.

Just wondering if you ever modelled a tired old tramp steamer with rust and a smoky funnel ?

Thanks Brian,
Yes, I have. I built all types of 19th and 20th century merchant ships, and the tramp steamers are often more popular than the passenger liners or sailing ships amongst collectors. I am fortunate that most model shipbuilerds keep well clear of such subjects. I would hate it if merchant ships started appearing in kit form on any grand scale :eek: Here is the tramp steamer Dartford with a coal hulk alongside.

Incidentally, a few days ago, I joined a Public Domain image site that displays images that everyone could use free of charge. Beautiful images as well! I decided to join in the spirit of the thing and put several model ship images on there for free use. They were all rejected as "poor" over-exposed, lacking in depth, unsalvageable and not very nice anyway!" To add insult to injury, the pen was described as "distracting!" :lol:
Bob

9 Dartford & hulk.jpg10 Hulk & Dartford.jpg

Thanks,
All merchant ships are "working ships" though! :cool: From the largest passenger vessels down to the lowliest coaster, they all work very hard, often with reduced manning levels. Here is the steam collier Errington Dunford! Long long ago, before I graduated to passenger liners, I sailed in colliers myself!
Bob

Attachments

• 11 Errington Dunford.JPG
    11 Errington Dunford.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 209
I love the tankers, but to date, I still have not found a wooden kit (static) that I can find. I notice that Deans Marine on Ages of Sail has some tankers, but it seems most are for RC. I think some or most of the hulls are resin or some sort. Lastly, Blue Jacket model ships has the Liberty as well.
At any rate, I love your work as always. Thanks for the poll question.

Donnie

Thanks,
Here is American tanker Gulfbird. Not a very good image, but I built it years ago! Not being constrained by kits, I can build anything I like, so tend to build lots of different types of ship. Tankers are generally unpopular, but I quite like them.
Bob

Attachments

• Gulfbird (Small).JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 229
Back