Which Vasa kit to start from?

Which Vasa kit to begin with?

• Total voters
I did write to the vasa Museum and acquired a set of plans. They were far more detailed with the rigging plans from the kit. This was also my first attempt at using treenails. I think they did add a lot to the overall look of the completed model. I'm hopping that even skilled modelers understand that you work to the max of your acquired skills. Everyone is elevated each time they complete a model. You learn what works and what does not and move forward. To only value the perfect model dismisses 99 % of the models shown on this site. In the end the question is are you happy with the result? I know from experience that very few models are ever sold but remain in the family as a tribute to the loved one that built them. I have altered or omitted an aspect of the build because of my skill level or my view if artistic license. The people viewing my models don't count the number of belaying pins in a rail or if even the correct line goes to that pin. I have never built a ship to 100% historical accuracy but to my skill level. So far anyone who has stood in front of one of my ships has been impressed and ask how did you do that? I don't think I'm in the minority as a builder to just produce a completed model people like to look at.
A healthy outlook, Dave. Thanks for sharing that. I'm confident my lack of experience will produce countless "that's not right" comments. My question is more about which kit gets me closest as a starting point. And, I guess, which kit is the most buildable. I have hand skills - but looking at all these build logs over the past several weeks has made me aware of how deep the waters are that I am about to swim in... At the end of the day this model will end up in my house (not at a museum) so your comments are helpful and encouraging.

This topic has developed legs as we now have a poll:D

I will expand further on my thoughts before I cast my vote.This can be very subjective to the individual builder so here are my thoughts from reading other's logs.I do feel that most will be tempted to start consulting the wealth of pictures online of the vessel when they start the build.The inclination will be there to make alterations to suit the original.

Deagostini;The most accurate model produced but also the most expensive.My only personal dislike is the supplied second planking which is Sapele and a white wood for below the waterline.Personally I would change this as I feel it doesn't suit the vessel.The artillery is accurate to the ship.

Sergal;some inaccuracies as I understand it, the fore mentioned laser engraved decks etc.Balsa first planking, no longer lime.The cannons are generic castings.The second most expensive kit.As Brian mentioned though it does build into one of the larger models as opposed to Corel and Billings.

Corel;Lots of inaccuracies.The hull cross section is wrong in many places leading to issues if you want to correct details, everything will have to be a compromise.The plus note is you are supplied with a comprehensive kit that builds into a nice model out of the box with no additional expenditure.If you are NOT tempted to start looking at reference pictures, then this is the most cost effective route.If you do, then you may end up frustrated.My friend built this model and travelled to the museum, took his own pictures and consulted Fred's book.He changed many things but ended up being a bit of a compromise as to get things to work as they should have, he would have had to alter the structure before planking.

Billings;The hull and overall construction is accurate.You get similar laser etched decks and gratings as the Sergal.Yes the ornaments are plastic but injection moulding does give crisp features.The curved pieces do require bending to suit the rear galleries.The gunport are not designed to be cut out, simply supplied as plastic frames to stick to the outside of the hull.The hull is single planked in birch I believe.It used to be Obechi.
This is the cheapest kit in the line up so you could argue it gives you money left over to add to the kit.The decks could be over planked and a second layer of hull planking added(preferably in veneer thickness to avoid issues).Cannons are not accurate so alternatives would need to be made.
I have another friend that built this kit.Altered the gunport so they pierced the hull and made new cannons from wood.The finished result looked extremely impressive.He used acrylics to simulate weathered dark timber with the Billings supplied wood and painted the ornaments in the correct Polychrome.He did this and still kept the grain visible in the planking by using various washes.

Kind Regards

Nigel

This topic has developed legs as we now have a poll:D

I will expand further on my thoughts before I cast my vote.This can be very subjective to the individual builder so here are my thoughts from reading other's logs.I do feel that most will be tempted to start consulting the wealth of pictures online of the vessel when they start the build.The inclination will be there to make alterations to suit the original.

Deagostini;The most accurate model produced but also the most expensive.My only personal dislike is the supplied second planking which is Sapele and a white wood for below the waterline.Personally I would change this as I feel it doesn't suit the vessel.The artillery is accurate to the ship.

Sergal;some inaccuracies as I understand it, the fore mentioned laser engraved decks etc.Balsa first planking, no longer lime.The cannons are generic castings.The second most expensive kit.As Brian mentioned though it does build into one of the larger models as opposed to Corel and Billings.

Corel;Lots of inaccuracies.The hull cross section is wrong in many places leading to issues if you want to correct details, everything will have to be a compromise.The plus note is you are supplied with a comprehensive kit that builds into a nice model out of the box with no additional expenditure.If you are NOT tempted to start looking at reference pictures, then this is the most cost effective route.If you do, then you may end up frustrated.My friend built this model and travelled to the museum, took his own pictures and consulted Fred's book.He changed many things but ended up being a bit of a compromise as to get things to work as they should have, he would have had to alter the structure before planking.

Billings;The hull and overall construction is accurate.You get similar laser etched decks and gratings as the Sergal.Yes the ornaments are plastic but injection moulding does give crisp features.The curved pieces do require bending to suit the rear galleries.The gunport are not designed to be cut out, simply supplied as plastic frames to stick to the outside of the hull.The hull is single planked in birch I believe.It used to be Obechi.
This is the cheapest kit in the line up so you could argue it gives you money left over to add to the kit.The decks could be over planked and a second layer of hull planking added(preferably in veneer thickness to avoid issues).Cannons are not accurate so alternatives would need to be made.
I have another friend that built this kit.Altered the gunport so they pierced the hull and made new cannons from wood.The finished result looked extremely impressive.He used acrylics to simulate weathered dark timber with the Billings supplied wood and painted the ornaments in the correct Polychrome.He did this and still kept the grain visible in the planking by using various washes.

Kind Regards

Nigel
This was really helpful Nigel. Based on what you have shared it's clear that I will need to steer clear of the Billings. I certainly want actual gunports and creating those seems ambitious. I would rather direct my energies elsewhere during the build. For not much more money (?) I would go with the DeAgostini over the Sergal if it was available (I have more money than good sense!). And if it does suddenly become available I will certainly take note of your observations about the planking. That seems like a simple correction. All said, it's starting to feel like I'm back to where I started with the Corel knowing that I (skill-wise) will not be able to correct the hull shape issues. Dave's comments in this thread were helpful in that regard: just do the best you can...

I have cast my vote.I decided to vote for Billings and Corel as Deagostini isn't in the options for the reasons below;

Billings;the best starting point for the experienced modeller to bash to death.The hull shape is correct as is the decoration although some details are missing.It is easier to make the odd missing decoration rather than start from scratch.The price point gives the builder money left over for additional materials.

Corel;the most complete kit for someone who is not planning on lots of alterations and is not hell bent on accuracy in all the details.A very nice model out of the box.

Personally I didn't vote for Sergal.I think it is just too much money at RRP given the cost cutting on various areas.This used to be a very nice kit when it came out but the Mantua group have ruined it IMHO.Keep in mind we are getting close to Caldercraft Victory money here(at least in the UK) and the Caldercraft kit is in a different league.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Congrats. I love CC kits and own the Victory. Having seen the build process for the Amati and all the MDF( sorry I have a personal dislike for fake wood) it has in the hull construction I will steer clear. Also Amati are to be doing the el cheapo approach on new kits that mos of the EU kits have started to do, but over charging for it.
The Amati is still a year or more away from final delivery. 1:72 CC is stupidly big, at 1:64 your looking at 1 & 1/2 m in lenght plus the weight!
I know size matters but..

All the best with the Vasa

Congrats. I love CC kits and own the Victory. Having seen the build process for the Amati and all the MDF( sorry I have a personal dislike for fake wood) it has in the hull construction I will steer clear. Also Amati are to be doing the el cheapo approach on new kits that mos of the EU kits have started to do, but over charging for it.
The Amati is still a year or more away from final delivery. 1:72 CC is stupidly big, at 1:64 your looking at 1 & 1/2 m in lenght plus the weight!
I know size matters but..

All the best with the Vasa
Thanks for the heads-up on the Amati quality. This Vasa will take me a while so I'll be able to see build logs on the 1:64 Amati before I get to the point I need to choose between Caldercraft and Amati.

Looking for some advice. I had settled on the Corel Vasa but am getting cold feet... The DeAgostini is out of stock (and no response from them) so that one's out. Notwithstanding the scale differences - should I begin with the Corel, the Billings, or the Mantua/Sergal before kit-bashing (which I am not skilled/experienced enough to do a whole lot of)? Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Op zoek naar wat advies. Ik had op de Corel Vasa geregeld maar ik krijg koude voeten ... De DeAgostini is niet op voorraad (en geen reactie van hen), zodat men uit. Ondanks de schaal verschillen - moet ik beginnen met de Corel, de Billings, of de Mantua / Sergal voor kit-bashing (die ik ben niet bekwaam / ervaren genoeg om een heleboel te doen)? Bedankt voor het delen van uw gedachten!

ik heb de wasa van billing gebouwd...kwaliteit = matig
wasa van corel is gedetailleerder en heeft betere kwaliteit onderdelen.
is wel iets duurder.

google translator:
i built the wasa from billing ... quality = moderate
wasa from corel is more detailed and has better quality parts.
is slightly more expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dockattner,

I happened to find this other builder's Corel Vasa - He certainly bashed it - FYI

Dockattner,

I happened to find this other builder's Corel Vasa - He certainly bashed it - FYI

Amazing work. That hull has me inspired!

Dockattner,

Just as a final note which could also affect your thinking (although it appears DeAg may be the choice), you can review the Billings Vasa kit instructions at:

http://www.billingboats.com/da/3/2/boats/the-expert/P-bb490-wasa.html

Especially for a new builder, the instructions should be a significant part of your decision. I know that the DeAg kit has excellent instructions as they used Fred Hocker and the museum for advice and collaboration.

Feel free to view the various ships logs of the Vasa too to come to your final choice.

Good luck,

Peter G.

Dockattener,

My apologies. The link in my previous post to the Vasa instructions has become out of date. The new link is:

Regards,

Peter G.

Thank you, Peter. I'm certain I will find the construction manual helpful. The drawings are quite detailed. I appreciate your kindness in sharing the link!

ik heb de wasa van billing gebouwd...kwaliteit = matig
wasa van corel is gedetailleerder en heeft betere kwaliteit onderdelen.
is wel iets duurder.

google translator:
i built the wasa from billing ... quality = moderate
wasa from corel is more detailed and has better quality parts.
is slightly more expensive.
Hallo @paulvanheur
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back