Which Viking Ship Model Kit

WMG

For the past 50 years I have wanted to build a Viking ship model. I am of Scandinavian heritage, grew up in a Scandinavian community, graduated from a university started by Norwegian and Swedish immigrants, and taught at that university for 14 years. Hence my interest in building a Viking ship.

I have particularly looked at the 1:50 scale Drakkar model by Amati, the 1:35 scale Gokstad model by Dusek, and the 1:40 scale longboat model by Mantua. My principal concerns are the quality of materials in the kit and the availability of complete instructions in English science this is only my second model.

Any comments regarding these or other kits would be most welcome.
WMG

For the past 50 years I have wanted to build a Viking ship model. I am of Scandinavian heritage, grew up in a Scandinavian community, graduated from a university started by Norwegian and Swedish immigrants, and taught at that university for 14 years. Hence my interest in building a Viking ship.

I have particularly looked at the 1:50 scale Drakkar model by Amati, the 1:35 scale Gokstad model by Dusek, and the 1:40 scale longboat model by Mantua. My principal concerns are the quality of materials in the kit and the availability of complete instructions in English science this is only my second model.

Any comments regarding these or other kits would be most welcome.
WMG
Hello Wayne I sent you a personal message about Viking ship build logs

Zoly:
Thank you for the build references.
i jus looked at your build of the AVS. You truly are an inspirational and gifted modeler. In comparison my model is a rather miserable example. Thanks for inspiring me.
WMGI

Zoly:
I just ordered the Dusek 1:35 Gokstad Viking ship kit. Got a $76 discount, but had to pay $19 shipping. Got it from Model Expo.
Thanks for your help.
Wayne (WMG)
I am looking forward to your build.

Zoly:
Thank you for the build references.
i jus looked at your build of the AVS. You truly are an inspirational and gifted modeler. In comparison my model is a rather miserable example. Thanks for inspiring me.
WMGI
Thank you!

Billings Oseberg 1/25 ref 720 model is excellent.

The main comment I would make is to stain every part to your chosen colour using a spirit woodstain before glueing. I made mine with dark (almost black) stain that closely approximates the original museum vessel, but if I did it again I would use a mid-oak colour which provides more character.

The other point is to thin the upstands at bow and stern before fitting the scroll decorations. In my case I also removed one layer of the three-ply decorations to make them really thin, like the original.

The materials are excellent, the shaped planks are nearly perfect but the half-planks forming the sheer (top) strake needs trimming slightly - it is too high at the middle of the hull which spoils the sheer line. Instructions are diagrammatic only - it helps to read the build logs on SOS and on the other established site.

Last edited:
Hi, I built a plastic Viking ship that I got for £20 but changed a lot of it as wanted it to be like the one from Assassin's Creed Valhalla and I put it in a case, I know it is not the quality of Wood but as a staring point I was happy with it.....1615723149624.png1615723240491.png1615723187536.png1615723301722.png

Back