Whipping shroud pairs

Hi friends. Would appreciate some help please with my shroud pairs. I noticed that some folks have whipped/seized their shroud pairs to strengthen the ropes where they wrap around the masts. Looks like around 30mm long for each shroud. This is in addition to the seizing to secure the shrouds tight against the mast. I have tried different ways to wrap the whipping around the rope, but none of them come out clean the way I want. The whipping just seems to unravel and refuse to behave. Can someone share their techniques how to do this properly please?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Warrlight,I was about to ask a similar question. If you have any info would you pass it on to me please

Hi @dearg .... lacking authoritative information on the proper whipping/serving technique, I did the most logical method in my simple thinking...stretched the shroud over my third hand tool, then just started to wind the smaller whipping line..putting a dab of CA glue after the first few turns to hold the line in place..I also applied CA glue at the end to secure the line...also made sure that my ropes were adequately run through the beeswax in order to be more manageable and hold its shape..I served around 30mm on each side of the the shroud (total of 60mm)...to help keep the whipping turns in place, I applied diluted white glue very lightly. In the end, it was not perfect as there are uneven spots, but good enough, I think.

PSX_20201014_132039.jpg
PSX_20201014_132027.jpg
PSX_20201014_132210.jpg
PSX_20201014_132013.jpg

Oh, I also tried to use the classic serving method below, but I found that the served portion was just too long to properly pull the strings through in the end...an alternative I guess would be to break up the 60mm into 3 sections of 20 mm each. This will yield a more uniform winding result.
PSX_20201014_133251.jpg

Hope this helps.

The whipping method is designed for a short length of line coverage by the serving. If you make many wraps beyond a certain length, the friction will not allow you to draw the opposite loops under the wrapping line, and it will break. Instead, simply tie the end of the serving line in an single overhand knot, secure it with a small amount of glue, and begin wrapping the shroud line. The shroud line should be as taut as possible, secured at both ends. With practice, your serving will be wrapped tight. While doing this, my hands often get tired, and need a break. As Warrlight said, you can apply some glue to anchor the serving to the shroud line, and when it takes hold, you can release the serving line and rest your hands. When the serving is long enough, make the last pass of the serving line into a hitch and secure it with glue. Then admire your workmanship for a few minutes, if not a few hours. ;)

The whipping method is designed for a short length of line coverage by the serving. If you make many wraps beyond a certain length, the friction will not allow you to draw the opposite loops under the wrapping line, and it will break. Instead, simply tie the end of the serving line in an single overhand knot, secure it with a small amount of glue, and begin wrapping the shroud line. The shroud line should be as taut as possible, secured at both ends. With practice, your serving will be wrapped tight. While doing this, my hands often get tired, and need a break. As Warrlight said, you can apply some glue to anchor the serving to the shroud line, and when it takes hold, you can release the serving line and rest your hands. When the serving is long enough, make the last pass of the serving line into a hitch and secure it with glue. Then admire your workmanship for a few minutes, if not a few hours. ;)

Thanks @DARIVS ARCHITECTVS ....that is helpful...might give that approach a try next time.

Hi friends. Would appreciate some help please with my shroud pairs. I noticed that some folks have whipped/seized their shroud pairs to strengthen the ropes where they wrap around the masts. Looks like around 30mm long for each shroud. This is in addition to the seizing to secure the shrouds tight against the mast. I have tried different ways to wrap the whipping around the rope, but none of them come out clean the way I want. The whipping just seems to unravel and refuse to behave. Can someone share their techniques how to do this properly please?
Thanks in advance.
There was an article in the NRJ a couple of years back. You build a serving machine, put in the shroud pairs and serve/ whip what you need. It is really very simple.

Whichever way whether it be the serving machine or doing it manually, I highly suggest using good quality beeswax. 1) it keeps the fuzzies down 2) the wax keeps the line stiff and acts sort of like a sticky so that the line will not come springing back off.

Whichever way whether it be the serving machine or doing it manually, I highly suggest using good quality beeswax. 1) it keeps the fuzzies down 2) the wax keeps the line stiff and acts sort of like a sticky so that the line will not come springing back off.
Regarding this topic which interpret as serving a line, hawser, cable, or shroud. . . I have a Serv-O-Matic which I used in my first Constructo Pilot Boat for the stays which were around 24 inches long. With watered white glue finishing touch the serving remains in place and I was happy with the results. The video above shows that device which is the same as my own. Great devise although some have speculated about the life span given the laser cut plywood gears. PT-2

I'm starting to prepare myself for the rigging tasks on my Endeavour, well at least mentally, and viewed the video concening the serving of ropes.
The Serv-o-Matic seems to be a good device to carry out this task. Apparently there are difficulties in procuring this device and I was wondering if it can be procured in Europe or ist it available in America only. Maybe there is something similar on the market in Europe.
Does any one in the community have any ideas where I could purchase such a device?
Man thanks and stay safe!

I'm starting to prepare myself for the rigging tasks on my Endeavour, well at least mentally, and viewed the video concening the serving of ropes.
The Serv-o-Matic seems to be a good device to carry out this task. Apparently there are difficulties in procuring this device and I was wondering if it can be procured in Europe or ist it available in America only. Maybe there is something similar on the market in Europe.
Does any one in the community have any ideas where I could purchase such a device?
When I bought mine in last spring, they said that their orders nationally and Internationally had been delayed up to 20% of the time but they were selling across the pond.
PT-2 (Rich)

I was reading some posts in other foren about some negative experiences or limitations with these tools.
If you want to buy one, consider the Domanoff machine, which seems to be the best on the market (subjective)

Although the Serv-o-matic looks very nice (apparently their site is down due to maintenance work) in cherry wood, I plumbed for the Domanoff solution and ordered the full version with endless rope and motor. Now awaitung delivery.
Stay safe.
Trevor.
Good decision - you made a good investment for the future

Back