Who makes the best Le Soleil Royal kit?

I was all set to purchase the 1/48 Bonhomme Richard - then I took out my tape measure. I just don’t have the space to build it or display it.
So now I’m looking at the Le Soleil Royal in 1/77 by Mantua, or 1/90 sold by ZHL. Since I’ve already built the Heller Victory, I’m not interested in that. So I would love some thoughts and opinions as to which is better and why.

The ZHL kit is vastly superior in my opinion.
The cast metal decorations and timber are excellent. The deck fittings are cut from Cherry wood, compared to the Mantua kit which is very dated, being over 40 years old without upgrades. The Mantua kit has a lot of veneer plywood for deck details, which is unacceptable these days.

BRIAN IS SO RIGHT, I GET REALLY UPSET ABOUT THESE OLD SCHOOL COMPANIES MEMBERS MAY NOT LIKE WHAT I AM SAYING JUST ME AS FAR AS I AM CONCERED THEY CAN ALL GO LIKE A?L PLEASE all 30 and 40 year stuff with todays prices UGH, now i will mention model ship ways i think they are trying new thing not relying on 40 yearold kits not upgraded with plans and instructions the last 3 kits i got from them i was HAPPLY SUPRISED, ONE I FINISHED THE GUN BOAT PHILADELPHIA, EXCELLENT PLANS OK INSTRUCTIONS THE OTHER @ I JUST GOT THE ARMED LONGBOAT NOT HE CRAPPY UNBUIABLE ONE, AND SOMETHING NEW FOR NOVICES BY DAVID A (SWANN CLASS BOOKS ) OF ALL PEOPLE NICE INSTRUCTIONS ON BOTH GOT THE NOVICE KITFOR A QUICK FILL IN AS A CHRISTMAS PRESENT FOR SOMEONE IN THE FAMILY INTERESTIN WILL DO A SHORT REVEIW. END OF SOAP BOX TODAY. Don

The Admiral says it will have to sit in the garage for two weeks to kill anything on it. Then I'll wipe it down with Clorox using gloves. Last thing I need is to have my hobby make me sick.

Went to go ahead and try to purchase this afternoon, WOULDN'T LET ME. Said payment options not available, "contact us" So I did. Did you run into this situation? Thanks, Ken

Back