Windlass motor

This is a place for any resources (info and pictures) for the windlass motor.
It was requested, or did I volunteer…anyway, I am making a CAD model of the windlass motor for the original Bluenose. The motor box had a lid on top, and also a sliding access door on one side. Those who may choose to display the motor in the box, will have a few options as far as detail goes. But there is no motor available and that will have to be scratch built. It’s an odd looking motor, and most likely best left to being modeled and printed.

Last edited:
Nice airbrush item, old green with oil and dirt as weathering, and some small nodules as starting to rust…

I love that

All colors in stock

I'm starting to get more and more ideas about how I'm going to become a BN.

Weathered deck planks (treat with Ecoline for the effects)

A build with some weathering , with more items but not as extreme as the oil barrel sprayed this week for my sub

Barrel.jpg

Last edited:
Nice airbrush item, old green with oil and dirt as weathering, and some small nodules as starting to rust…

I love that

All colors in stock

I'm starting to get more and more ideas about how I'm going to become a BN.

Weathered deck planks (treat with Ecoline for the effects)

A build with some weathering , with more items but not as extreme as the oil barrel sprayed this week for my sub

View attachment 239514
Damn, that looks filthy and dirty ........Sick
Regards, Peter

A little more progress today on the model...I don't think I can add too much more detail, but I will ad as much as I think will print at scale! There is more on the front of the motor that will be okay to add. Without any drawings or dimensions, this remains an artistic representation in CAD. So it is not exact, but close
enough to use. ;)

Capture-m-new.JPG

Last edited:
Here is the CAD model I started. I have no dimensions to work with thus far, so I have basically created an artistic version that is scaled to fit in the motor box.
View attachment 239509View attachment 239510
Dean, You have some "envelope" or box limiting dimensions from the housing box on the BN. For more precise details there are the drawings found on the MS2130 Plans Sheet 4 but you may have already seen and used that information.
Steering Mechanism thread also may refer to the same MSN2130 Sheet 4 for that information that Peter is seeking.
Rich

Dean, You have some "envelope" or box limiting dimensions from the housing box on the BN. For more precise details there are the drawings found on the MS2130 Plans Sheet 4 but you may have already seen and used that information.
Steering Mechanism thread also may refer to the same MSN2130 Sheet 4 for that information that Peter is seeking.
Rich
I got the internal motor box dimensions from Peter, so I guarantee it will fit. At least at 1/72 scale! ;)

I got the internal motor box dimensions from Peter, so I guarantee it will fit. At least at 1/72 scale! ;)
That extends the scratch and Admiralty exposed framing of the build with your own out of view, in the enclosure box. Recall that that box was removed when racing but the gasoline engine remained as it was the motive force to raise the big main and foresails. . . maybe some of the larger tops and fisherman's stay sail with is prominent in the racing photos. The electrical generator system was removed along with five tons of "unnecessary" weight in the 1938 races to improve her hogged hull lines and performance. A hard trade-off as it made her more tender in higher winds which she previously stood up very well. I'll bet that the brass bed frame of Walters was unloaded also. Rich

Back