Wing bulkhead

Can anyone tell me what a wing bulkhead is? What it looks like?
Maybe we can clarify this a little bit better, when you tell us the ship, period, kit and also in which combination or on which subject this term was mentioned?
There is directly no clear definition of a "wing bulkhead" as I know.....

I was reading a contract for the HMS Echo 1782 and it was mentioned in there. Other that that I
know nothing. It was just a curiosity thing. It may have something to do with the "carpenters walk" whatever that is?

Just to remind ourselves, and to help with context, in period ships the walls installed abeam (side-to-side) in a vessel's hull were called "bulkheads.” “Wing” refers to that section of a structure on the outer edges of side-to-side or abeam structures in a ship’s hull. Thus a wing bulkhead is the outer section of a multiple section side-to-side bulkhead that is next to the hull itself...for example a three section abeam bulkhead had a right wing, center section, left wing. The term is more commonly used for modern era tanker construction such as wing ballast tanks or wing cargo tanks. A wing ballast tank is built into the outer hull and a wing cargo tank is the outer tank where multiple self contained cargo tanks are constructed side-to-side…left wing tank, center tank, right wing tank. My apologies for going back to descriptions that we are all familiar with but I think redefining the context helps.

Last edited:
1626564941384.jpeg

Maybe a picture helps…this is a lower hull cross section of a modern era tanker…note the “wing” cargo tank and the “wing” ballast tank. Thus generically “wing” refers to structures on the outer edges of a ship’s hull.

I understand the "wing" part. It's applying it to a bulkhead and what it's for that's puzzling me. I guess if nobody(or very few) know it can't be a big deal in the grand scheme.
Thanks

I was reading Google Books version of Steels "Elements" and noticed this
"Wing--The places next the side upon the orlop , usually parted off in ships of war , that the carpenter and his crew may have access round the ship, in time of action , to plug up shot holes, & c."
The "parted off" made me think that there may be a bulkhead running fore and aft to give access. That could be a "wing bulkhead". I would think something like that would show on he plans and the Discovery 1789 ain't got um.
Until further info I'll go with that :)

I was reading a contract for the HMS Echo 1782 and it was mentioned in there. Other that that I
know nothing. It was just a curiosity thing. It may have something to do with the "carpenters walk" whatever that is?
The Carpenter´s walk was usually at the orlop deck. These enabled the Carpenter’s staff to check the condition of the ships timbers, below the waterline.
So a small theight walk at the outside with free access to the frames and partly the outer planking - so he could check, if there are any not watertight areas.

Often it was also named only "starboard walk" or "port walk"

a-visit-to-hms-victory-ii-5-728 (1).jpg

Orlop_Deck.png

HMS Victory
j1844.jpg

Back